The Student Room Group

Why you shouldn't panic too much about GCSEs!

Hi! I guess you're here because you're panicking about your GCSEs. I'm here to tell you why you shouldn't panic too much. :smile:

I was reading lots of GCSE threads on TSR about people panicking for their GCSEs, and just wanted to reassure people if I can.

1. Don't worry too much about grades. It's a newish exam system so the teachers still don't know what grade you're actually at. In a couple of my subjects, over the whole 2 years I never got above a 7 in any test and often got 5s and 6s, and I got 9s in both subjects. So if you're working really hard, and your grades aren't what you're hoping for - don't panic - you may well be at a higher grade than your teacher thinks! Don't give up yet.

2. If you're worrying about not having done enough yet, don't panic - it's still possible. In year 10 I only did my homework, no revision really. It was only Christmas of year 11 that I started making revision notes and things properly. It's not even Christmas yet! And I got good grades in the end, so it's possible to get good grades if you've done no revision at all yet.

3. Try your best not to let your teachers panic you. Lots of my teachers were worried about the new exam system, so unloaded their panic onto their students. Try to remember that their panic is their problem, not yours - focus on what you can do, and ignore things you can't control.

4. Don't worry about 'revision techniques'. Lots of my teachers told me I had to find 'my personal way' to revise. I spent too much time worrying about the best way to revise. In the end, I just wrote random notes, wrote on some flashcards, drew some diagrams, wrote out quotes, and did the weirdest collection of things, and it worked out okay. Don't get pressured into perfecting one technique, because really you don't need a technique at all!

5. If you're not coping - talk to someone. I had an amazing teacher at school who I basically cried on periodically, and even though I don't know if it actually made me any less stressed, it was nice to know that someone was supporting me. If you have nobody to talk to, feel free to message me! I can't promise to be helpful, but I can promise to listen.

I admit that I was a total mess during GCSEs, which wasn't at all healthy, and I don't know if this post can help anyone, but if it can help anyone be less stressed at this time of year than I was, I'll be happy!

x

Quick Reply

Latest