The Student Room Group

I'm "under investigation" by the TV licensing people.

I've received what's claimed to be a second letter from the TV licensing authority, I haven't received the first one yet. It seems to be specified to my address. I've only used my laptop to watch 4OD and listen to documentaries on Radio 4 via iplayer. I've used my iplayer account on my Dad's laptop at home to watch repeats of television programs but not my Uni laptop, at least I'm not aware of having done. Can anyone help? I'm ******** myself about it to be honest.
Original post by JC90125
I've received what's claimed to be a second letter from the TV licensing authority, I haven't received the first one yet. It seems to be specified to my address. I've only used my laptop to watch 4OD and listen to documentaries on Radio 4 via iplayer. I've used my iplayer account on my Dad's laptop at home to watch repeats of television programs but not my Uni laptop, at least I'm not aware of having done. Can anyone help? I'm ******** myself about it to be honest.

Nothing will happen.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Nothing will happen.

Are you sure, man? They seem pretty serious to me. This might just be because I've never really had anything to do with the law in the past and I'm being a bit of a pussy but I don't know?
Original post by JC90125
Are you sure, man? They seem pretty serious to me. This might just be because I've never really had anything to do with the law in the past and I'm being a bit of a pussy but I don't know?

TV Licensing / Capita (the organisation outsourced for this "work") are known for their scare tactics. Red threatening letters, 'officers' coming round claiming they have a warrant to come in etc. They don't. They are impotent.

As long as you have a TV licence where required, then you're absolutely fine. Sounds to me you don't.

Have you informed them that you don't require one? https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence?WT.mc_id=r001
(edited 5 years ago)
No you aren't. It's just a scare tactic they use to intimidate people into replying/buying a license. I got one of these letters last year cos I forgot to reply to their first letter (they sent it in Freshers week fgs had like 100 other things on my mind) and nothing happened.
The BBC and their TV licensing letters are an absolute disgrace. They are bullies nothing more.
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
No you aren't. It's just a scare tactic they use to intimidate people into replying/buying a license. I got one of these letters last year cos I forgot to reply to their first letter (they sent it in Freshers week fgs had like 100 other things on my mind) and nothing happened.
The BBC and their TV licensing letters are an absolute disgrace. They are bullies nothing more.

Is it worth getting in touch with them anyway?
Original post by JC90125

If you want the letters to stop them yeh otherwise they will just keep sending them. For that reason and that reason alone i went onto the TV licensing website and declared i didnt need one (because i dont) - even the form you fill in there is threatening they are like ARE YOU SURE YOU DONT BECAUSE YOU COULD BE FINED IF YOU DO
just be sure in your conviction and that you are on the right side of the law and pay no attention to their threats.
They said they would come round to check i didnt need one - never happened.
Who isn't. They say that to scare you.

Ignore the ***** and they will **** off.
Original post by JC90125

From September 2017 - September 2018, I worked for HM Courts and Tribunals in the East Kent Magistrates' admin (then I left to go to uni aged 28 becasue I was sick of doing dead-end jobs for **** pay in the opportunity wasteland that is coastal Kent).

Amongst other things, we dealt with a lot of TV licencing proceedings. I have seen hundreds (possibly even a thousand or more) of court papers relating to action brought by Capita on behalf of the TV licencing authority, for non-payment of licence fees.

Just as other people have said - they send those letters to intimidate people into paying them money which they (the licencing authority or Capita themselves) feel they are entitled to by virtue of their existence, regardless of whether they actually have a case.

Ignore it, don't even engage with them. Don't try to reason with them, or if you do, definitely don't email them. When I worked for the court service, part of my job was called 'resulting', which is basically recording what was decided in the court and ensuring that everybody involved is aware.

It's extremely unlikely that a court would convict you on this matter. It's not impossible, but it's 99% certain not to happen. And if they did, you could apply for the case to be re-opened under s142 of the magistrates' court act and they would almost definitely overturn the conviction and write-off the fines. Seen it so many times.
Reply 9
Thank you, you're much more knowledgable on this than I am.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending