The Student Room Group

69 year old man identifies as a 49 year old man

BBC News - Dutchman, 69, brings lawsuit to lower his age 20 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46133262

A statement from the guy in question;

"We live in a time when you can change your name and change your gender. Why can't I decide my own age?"

My personal views: This seems absurd to me but on the other hand it would be hypocritical to deny him if other exceptions like those made for transgender people. After all one could argue age is different from number of years lived just like gender is supposedly different from sex.

How do you feel about this?

Scroll to see replies

:lol: oh what we do to be young again.
This shouldn't be allowed as it too open to be abused.
Maybe he's embarrassed by the sexual connotation of 69
Original post by e^iπ

One trusts he is trying to highlight the stupidity of it all and I predict future lawsuits from people wanting to change colour, species, height, weight and eye colour.
Original post by Guru Jason

Why should people be allowed to change their name, gender and beliefs, but not their age?

If a man can identify as a woman or non-binary and a white woman can identify as a black woman, why can’t he identify as a 49 year old??
Reply 6

Same could be said about trans?
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
One trusts he is trying to highlight the stupidity of it all and I predict future lawsuits from people wanting to change colour, species, height, weight and eye colour.

I wouldn't be surprised if this became a thing in the future. This concept is as "absurd" to us as trans was to people 100 years ago.
Original post by Wired_1800
Why should people be allowed to change their name, gender and beliefs, but not their age?

If a man can identify as a woman or non-binary and a white woman can identify as a black woman, why can’t he identify as a 49 year old??

I can see the headlines now. Man has consenual sex with woman who identifies as a 7year old is up on charges of sleeping with someone underage.

Or

Supermarket in trouble for selling alcohol to someone who is only 12 when actually they're 34. This isn't a road we should go down.
Reply 9
I can see the headlines now. Man has consenual sex with woman who identifies as a 7year old is up on charges of sleeping with someone underage.

Or

Supermarket in trouble for selling alcohol to someone who is only 12 when actually they're 34. This isn't a road we should go down.

What a bit like the "woman" who was actually a man and ended up causing sexualnl terror in a woman's prison?

You could argue there will ways be a few cases, doesn't mean that law abiding citizens should be deprived of this right?
Original post by e^iπ
doesn't mean that law abiding citizens should be deprived of this right?

It seems to me that as soon as someone spots that something might feasibly be claimed or done, no matter how outlandish, someone else claims it as a right.
Reply 11
This shouldn't be a debate, this is obviously taking the p*** of what this world is coming to with all the snowflakes around.
If you don't support this guy your ageist and also probably racist/sexist.
Original post by e^iπ
What a bit like the "woman" who was actually a man and ended up causing sexualnl terror in a woman's prison?

You could argue there will ways be a few cases, doesn't mean that law abiding citizens should be deprived of this right?

I dont think thats a fair comparison. Trans men and women should rightly go their correct prisons and their crimes and gender specific. Sex crimes can be committed by both genders regardless anywhere they are. Age isuuse create huge consent issue.

What happens when a 12 year old decides he's actually 34 and doesn't finish their education. Your age is your age for a reason.
I think this man is a fan of Ben Shapiro.
Reply 15
As it says, there are a few complications to it such as, how old were his parents?, who were his friends, as he can’t say his old school friends, as it would be saying that when he was at school, his only friends were in their late 20s, early 30s

Or

1. If the woman identifies as 7, then it is pedophilia.

2. If a 34 year old identifies as 12, they should not be given alcohol.

As society, we have to understand and agree how much chaos we want. We cannot allow some people to do certain things and others to not.

If a 10 year old identifies as a 32 year old man and wants to go to a strip club, why shouldn’t he??
Reply 17
Original post by e^iπ
BBC News - Dutchman, 69, brings lawsuit to lower his age 20 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46133262

A statement from the guy in question;

"We live in a time when you can change your name and change your gender. Why can't I decide my own age?"

My personal views: This seems absurd to me but on the other hand it would be hypocritical to deny him if other exceptions like those made for transgender people. After all one could argue age is different from number of years lived just like gender is supposedly different from sex.

If people can change their gender then I don't see why in princible people shouldn't be able to change their age.

However people will soon start abusing the system, eg: pedophile identifies as 4 year old in order to enroll in nursery.......

or London Youths identify as OAP in order to get free transport on buses...
Original post by xDron3
This shouldn't be a debate, this is obviously taking the p*** of what this world is coming to with all the snowflakes around.

That is the same thing people send about men/women who identified as the other gender. Look where we are today.

All or nothing!

Or

They would probably have a rule saying that you can only change your age after you reach the age of majority, and you can only change it to an age greater than the age of majority.

Not saying I support it or that it will realistically be allowed, but this is one of the easier issues to deal with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending