The Student Room Group

Corbyn wears the wrong coat at cenotaph

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Axiomasher
The Royal Family don't really do much else other than 'look smart' (in a conservative sense that is) at public events, it's pretty much their thing.

Lol i was about to say, that's literally their whole gig. Why is OP trying to make it sound like it would be an extra hardship for someone who does it fulltime? 😂
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6377075/Scruffy-disrespectful-Corbyn-slammed-looking-like-tramp-Cenotaph-service.html

The garbage right media seem to be trying to manufacture another "donkey jacket" moment for labour leader at remembrance event. I don't even own a formal coat. Just like when Cameron had a go at Corbyn suit and tie this just makes it plain to me that those who run our society look t people like me with contempt.

Yes, people should leave Jeremy alone. It's not his fault - he's just used to laying wreaths in warmer climates :-)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's disrespectful not to make the effort. The gents behind him in the first pic in the article in OP seemed to be able to find proper overcoats. It's unclear why he wasn't able to, unless the reason is that he just wasn't taking the occasion seriously.

It's a shame, because he actually looks to be hiding an appropriate suit, a well-ironed shirt, and an almost entirely done-up tie under his bloated, scruffy raincoat.

Original post by BornBlue1
This all just seems rather silly and petty. A bit like when the press made a big deal about the fact he didn't bow at a sufficient angle.

He wore a suit, as well as poppy and stood respectfully.

By all means question his views and policies. But to get annoyed about someone's coat, is really, to put it lightly, snobbish and sneering.

Original post by BornBlue1
Yes it is easy to make out that it's just a coat, because that's exactly what it was.

Had he turned up in shorts and a t shirt you may have a point. He turned up with a suit and wore a poppy and stood respectfully.

Trying to score political points by going on about his coat shows how out of touch some people really are.

He's clearly just used to laying wreaths in warmer climates...
Original post by Jessania
He's clearly just used to laying wreaths in warmer climates...

I'm not sure why you've quoted three posts, and then made a rather irrelevant 'joke' which has already been made on the thread.

It doesn't even make sense, given that a warmer climate would surely mean he wouldn't be wearing a coat in the first place.
Hi, I had to reply to your comment. You literally took words out of my mouth and your couldn’t even word that comment any better. Though you and I probably won’t agree on most things but calling out this hypocrisy is fantastic. Coming from a military I can relate. Too many soldiers were sold a lie. Why the false political pretense over dead soldiers when you completely ignore the injured or retired living ones
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah, let's not focus on the horror of war, the sacrifice, the suffering, the way millions of ordinary people were directed to their deaths in the name of 'honour' and the 'glory' of holding your ground in battle etc, instead let's focus on how 'scruffy' some politician's coat is.

where is your personal cut off? Where is the point for you - where apperance does actually matter.

For example, if you put it on a spectrum
At one end is the norm - full formal dress
At the other end is the opposite - boxers and a vest

Where would you draw the line of acceptability?

Obviously suit + not formal coat is ok
What about a more casual suit, with no tie?
Or a polo shirt and a mac?
or swimshorts and sandles?
etc. etc.

Its not just the case of saying 'what he was wearing doesn't matter.. its all about the cause', because everyone has a line of what they believe is acceptable. The only difference between you and the other poster is probably their line of what is acceptable is nearer the formal end than yours...

Unless your incredibly radical though, you do still have a line of acceptability.
Original post by fallen_acorns
...Unless your incredibly radical though, you do still have a line of acceptability.

A coat perceived by some as 'scruffy' is hardly a thing to focus on. Sure, if he was wearing a clown costume, or a Nazi uniform i.e. something which any reasonable person would recognise as a deliberate act of insult or trivialisation, then criticism would be due. I seem to remember Michael Foot (a former Labour leader) having been targetted by the tabloids in the same way some time ago.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6377075/Scruffy-disrespectful-Corbyn-slammed-looking-like-tramp-Cenotaph-service.html

The garbage right media seem to be trying to manufacture another "donkey jacket" moment for labour leader at remembrance event. I don't even own a formal coat. Just like when Cameron had a go at Corbyn suit and tie this just makes it plain to me that those who run our society look t people like me with contempt.
n
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but who actually cares what anyone else looks like? Since when did remembering our fallen turn into a fashion parade? I understand why some (the royals for example) would choose to wear military dress, however if they chose not to, that would their choice IMO. The day it not about us, or about the royals, or politicians. It's about remembering the people who gave their lives so that we could live, and the fact that what someone was wearing is making headlines is shocking.

In society, we fight so hard for things to stop being shallow, to see "what's on the inside", yet still we judge people for what they wear.

So what if, in your opinion, he looked "scruffy"? Does it actually matter, in the grand scheme of life, death and everything in the middle? He was there, paying his respects. That, in my opinion, is all that matters. Remembrance should be just that - thinking and acting in a way to remember the fallen.. yet instead it's turned into a media frenzy and a televised event where people genuinely seem to be more concerned with what people are wearing than the people we are remembering, or the words that are being said.

A friend of mine was killed in Afghanistan back in 2010, and if he was here I'm fairly certain he would say it didn't matter what people wore, so long as they had the chance to pay their respects if they chose to.
Remembrance Sunday isn't supposed to be a fashion show or a display of wealth or bling. I'd expect him to dress his smartest, and for Corbyn that probably is.
where is your personal cut off? Where is the point for you - where apperance does actually matter.

For example, if you put it on a spectrum
At one end is the norm - full formal dress
At the other end is the opposite - boxers and a vest

Where would you draw the line of acceptability?

Obviously suit + not formal coat is ok
What about a more casual suit, with no tie?
Or a polo shirt and a mac?
or swimshorts and sandles?
etc. etc.

Its not just the case of saying 'what he was wearing doesn't matter.. its all about the cause', because everyone has a line of what they believe is acceptable. The only difference between you and the other poster is probably their line of what is acceptable is nearer the formal end than yours...

Unless your incredibly radical though, you do still have a line of acceptability.

He should put in the effort and wear his best if he's going to turn up, but perhaps he doesn't have a fancy £500 coat lying around? Remembrance Sunday isn't about shops selling as many fancy coats as they can.
It goes to his unfitness for the highest office.

As Prime Minister you embody the whole nation, and the job involves representing the country in meetings with the leaders of other countries. That requires you to look smart, to look the part. A national event like this is another example of it.

Of course he is perfectly entitled to look as scruffy as he wants to in his personal life, and indeed standing up in parliament or on in a television interview for that matter. Let the voters decide.

But in formal occasions, like this, a smartness and formality is de rigeur.
Original post by ThomH97
He should put in the effort and wear his best if he's going to turn up, but perhaps he doesn't have a fancy £500 coat lying around? Remembrance Sunday isn't about shops selling as many fancy coats as they can.

I wouldn't bring money into it - dispite his man-of-the-people image, he is not exactly struggling for money. Hes worth millions, with an anual income from parliment of nearly 140k, and a retirement pot of 1.6 million.

He can afford to dress however he wants to.

My point to you, and

x

was that its not as simple as just saying 'Its not about clothes, its about remembrance!' - because for both of you, there would be some outfits that you find unacceptable for him to wear.

Therefore its clearly just an issue of where people place the line of acceptance. For you two, the line of what is acceptable is bellow a scruffy coat, but above a clown outfit as Axio said... for others on here, the line of what is acceptable is above a scruffy coat.

That's all their is to this issue.
(edited 5 years ago)

You don't own a formal coat? Ok, you also aren't the Opposition leader - so I don't think you owning the a formal coat compares to Corbyn really. And honestly, while it doesn't matter that much, it does look rather trashy but thats only when compared with the others around him (but weird how they knew to wear a formal coat but Corbyn didn't...)

Also, you're making a big deal out of the Cameron comment, that was political banter if you will, back and forth. It's common in the HoC for leaders to take the (slight) piss out of each other. As you complain about the minority of the minority of mainstream media that is right wing writing an article on Corbyn, you yourself are hanging onto something meaningless from years back.
Original post by Drewski

And yes, it had a hood. What a terrible idea during a potentially showery month like November.

A hood? A hood?? The absolute lefty *******. Wipe him out.
Original post by generallee
It goes to his unfitness for the highest office.

As Prime Minister you embody the whole nation, and the job involves representing the country in meetings with the leaders of other countries. That requires you to look smart, to look the part. A national event like this is another example of it.

Of course he is perfectly entitled to look as scruffy as he wants to in his personal life, and indeed standing up in parliament or on in a television interview for that matter. Let the voters decide.

But in formal occasions, like this, a smartness and formality is de rigeur.

There might be other ways to represent your country than always looking like a corporate drone or something out of a 1920s photograph.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There might be other ways to represent your country than always looking like a corporate drone or something out of a 1920s photograph.

Have you ever been to a funeral? If so, what did you wear?

There are certain social norms, and whether you approve of them or not, people judge you by them. Incidents like this, although individually trivial, mount up, to form a picture. Why would Corbyn not realise this and not wear a decent coat??

Either he doesn’t realise, in which case he is too stupid to be PM, or he doesn’t care, in which he doesn’t have the right character. Or perhaps both.
...its not as simple as just saying 'Its not about clothes, its about remembrance!'...

You're just trying to indulge in a slippery slope fallacy here. That commentators have decided to turn attention away from the purpose of rememberance in order to score political points over how 'shabby' someone's coat is should be condemned. Disgusting.
God, the Daily Mail strikes again, headline: he wore a coat.

How does him wearing a coat affect his respect or his capacity as an important political leader???
Reply 59
Given the pillorying that Michael Foot endured you would really think Corbyn (or at least an advisor) would have been more attentive to his clothing.

Unless it was done deliberately to stir up the DM et al. :beard:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending