The Student Room Group

Corbyn wears the wrong coat at cenotaph

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by generallee
This doesn’t seem to be a widely held view, but just for the record there is no way on earth he didn’t remember the Foot “donkey jacket” imbroglio. He knew exactly what he was doing.

The donkey jacket episode happened in 1981, the year he worked on Tony Benn’s famous Deputy Leadership campaign, and he first came into Parliament in the debacle that was Labour's 1983 election campaign led by Foot.
It is also entirely reasonable to suppose that Corbyn thought Foot's coat entirely appropriate and saw the right-wing criticism as utter nonsense and simply decided to wear another appropriate coat.
It is also not beyond the realms of credulity that he may have predicted a similar criticism but decided that the rabid frothing of the far-right and hard of thinking were not his concern. The Mail is never going to support him and Mail readers are never going to vote for him, so why pander to them? Instead, why not allow then to show just how irrational and desperate they are.

Ironically, the Mail and its readers have shown that all the bluster about respect for veterans and Remembrance Day is just bullshjt posturing. It's like the drunken relative staring a fight at a funeral because someone didn't wear black. They don't give a **** about the event, only about pushing their own agenda.
Reply 161
Original post by muthalganesan18
Corbyn's popularity among youth has collapsed according to opinion polls.
Mainly due to his refusal to oppose Brexit.
Reply 162
Original post by Andrew97
Corbyn maybe could have worn a smarter coat. But being honest, I don’t really care about coat quality of the leader of the opposition when I am remembering our war dead on the centenary.
Which shows that the critics were not really remembering the war dead but rather looking to score political points.
Reply 163
Original post by That'sGreat
Do working class people not work in offices, attend funerals and weddings or go to nice events?
Yes, but they don't always wear suits. I know people who don't own a suit.
Reply 164
Original post by Johnny English
If he can't respect the war dead then he has no place in politics and should resign.
What an idiot . What a party ....what a disgraceful shambles from top to bottom .
Did you see May's hat? Was she taking the piss or what? Disgusting!
And what about the look on Cameron's face. I saw him smile at one point. Zero respect for Tommy Atkins. Disgraceful!
Original post by username4316962
Wearing suits and formal wear is an inherently middle and upper class phenomenon.

Maybe now. I have photos of my forebears working in labouring jobs, and as farmhands, wearing suits. 'Twas a common sight for the first three quarters of the twentieth century.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
There is a class divide. Corbyn, whilst being smarter than me, is still wearing clothes nearer to that of my class..

The problem there is that Corbyn is very much of the middle class, and privately educated. He is misleading you.
Screenshot_20181113-134037-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Corbyn last year. Somehow he was capable of dressing appropriately last year but couldn't manage it for the centenary
corbynwreath1308a-compressed.jpg.jpeg

And for terrorists he's capable of dressing properly
Original post by Jammy Duel

Pens in the shirt breast pocket... and no tie, or jacket for that matter.
Original post by Doonesbury
Pens in the shirt breast pocket... and no tie, or jacket for that matter.

Relatively then

Corbyn last year. Somehow he was capable of dressing appropriately last year but couldn't manage it for the centenary

I don't see any sign of bad weather in those other photos, it's even sunny. He wore a suit this year just the same, except not unreasonably he had a coat over it.

For crying out loud, this really is pathetic. Using remembrance day as an opportunity for stupid political smears.
Noone cares also he was cold so his choice
Original post by RF_PineMarten
I don't see any sign of bad weather in those other photos, it's even sunny. He wore a suit this year just the same, except not unreasonably he had a coat over it.

For crying out loud, this really is pathetic. Using remembrance day as an opportunity for stupid political smears.

He was wearing a formal black overcoat last year in accordance with everyone else. This year he chose to stand out and wore an anorak with a hood. He did it in full knowledge it would attract attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QE2

What are you suggesting then? Really? What is your point?

Given you're not saying anything new and I've already explained my point to you, I'm sure you'll understand if I just direct you to my earlier post.

For ease of reference, here's a quote:

Original post by TimmonaPortella
As multiple posters have made clear, the problem is not that hooded coats are inherently incompatible with the act of paying one's respects. The problem is that he knows, or should know, that a particular form is expected at this particular occasion, and he decided to disregard it.

Submitting to formal rules like this shows humility. It shows that you understand that it isn't all about you, and what you'd prefer to wear. It shows that you're taking the occasion seriously. When you disregard the formal rules and expectations, this shows arrogance. You think it is all about you, and that you can do whatever you want. Because in your opinion, which you have decided is more important than all the traditions and expectations that apply to such events, 'it's just a coat'. You've decided that you're going to attend the event on your own terms, and separate yourself out from the rest, and draw attention to yourself, in the process of doing so.

That is what is disrespectful. Not the particular feature of a hood.

I think the comparison has been made, but it's similar to declining to follow the convention of wearing sombre black business dress to a funeral. You may personally be perfectly able to pay your respects in a neon pink Hawaiian shirt, but everyone would still think you're a complete tit. Again, the problem isn't with the particular item. It's with your conscious decision to separate yourself from everyone else, and your implied declaration along with it that you're just too good for this ****.
Reply 175
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Given you're not saying anything new and I've already explained my point to you, I'm sure you'll understand if I just direct you to my earlier post.

For ease of reference, here's a quote:
Ah. So your objection to Corbyn's jacket is that you think he should have worn something different because his plain, muted overcoat wasn't the sort of plain, muted overcoat that you think is suitable. Not that there was actually anything wrong with it. And to wear such a coat shows "arrogance" and "disrespect".

Fair enough.

Follow up question.
Are you serious?
Guys its been nearly 3 days, you're arguing over a coat???

[video="youtube;d7D5oONDkIQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7D5oONDkIQ[/video]
Reply 177
Original post by Doonesbury
He was wearing a formal black overcoat last year in accordance with everyone else. This year he chose to stand out and wore an anorak with a hood. He did it in full knowledge it would attract attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Man wears different coat on separate occasions" shock.
And an anorak is a completely different kind of jacket. Raincoat is probably the best description.

So, your problem is that you think that a politician wearing a raincoat to a public event is "attracting attention" and therefore somehow unacceptable behaviour.
The world's gone mad. Madder.
Reply 178

So you're not going to have a go at him for not wearing a jacket and tie?
Typical rightist double-standards.
Reply 179

I notice that you're not having a go at the bloke next to him who couldn't even be bothered to put trousers on.
Typical rightist double standards!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending