The Student Room Group

Terror attack in Australia - assailant shot

I'm not sure if I'm late to the party, but there was a terrorist attack a few days ago in Australia. A jihadist crashed a car filled with gas cylinders (which went up in flames) and then went on a stabbing rampage. Unfortunately one person died.

The Victorian (the state where this occurred) Police were very restrained. There's some good footage, although you probably shouldn't watch it if you don't want to see a filthy terrorist getting clipped.

[video="youtube;FsNPO9SYc-s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNPO9SYc-s[/video]

Scroll to see replies

The homeless guy who tried to ram the terrorist with a trolley, good work that man. There was a funny comment in the video, that he would be charged with a hate crime if he was in the UK. Obviously not true, but funny.
Reply 2
Original post by AlexanderHam
I'm not sure if I'm late to the party, but there was a terrorist attack a few days ago in Australia. A jihadist crashed a car filled with gas cylinders (which went up in flames) and then went on a stabbing rampage. Unfortunately one person died.

The Victorian (the state where this occurred) Police were very restrained. There's some good footage, although you probably shouldn't watch it if you don't want to see a filthy terrorist getting clipped.

[video="youtube;FsNPO9SYc-s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNPO9SYc-s[/video]

Very late... Edit: having said that I can't seem to find a thread. :beard;

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
The poor man was clearly mentally ill.
No one in their right mind believes that there is a god who reserves a special place in "paradise" for people who die while struggling in the cause of that god.
When will these people get it into their heads that we’re not turning to Islam? We’re not going back to the backward, violent and uncivilised days of Muhammad, and there’s nothing they, or their false god Allah can do about it.
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't understand the logic. If I kill innocent people I will be rewarded for an eternity in paradise? What the actual ****? :mad2::mad2:
Original post by JackMac2904
I don't understand the logic. If I kill innocent people I will be rewarded for an eternity in paradise? What the actual ****? :mad2::mad2:

It all hinges on the definition of 'innocent'. If you aren't all for Allah and argue against his religion you are not innocent.
Original post by Good bloke
It all hinges on the definition of 'innocent'. If you aren't all for Allah and argue against his religion you are not innocent.

My point remains the same with or without the word 'innocent'. Being rewarded for murder of any kind is just a ridiculous notion.
Being rewarded for murder of any kind is just a ridiculous notion.

Well, of course. But we are dealing with people who believe in the real existence of flying horses, smoke fairies, angels, paradise and hell. So, in that context, nothing they believe should surprise you.
Original post by pasehdhd
Why?

I think it is incumbent on you to tell us why you think it would be reasonable and civilised for people to be rewarded when they commit murder.
Reply 10
The key here is the word "innocent".
The Islamic definition is not the same as the generally assumed one. Basically (depending of which interpretation of which school of thought you follow) anyone who refuses to submit to Islam, or who supports a regime that opposes Islam, is not "innocent" and (again, depending on the interpretation) those who are not "innocent" are legitimate targets or acceptable collateral damage. This is all from the Quran and sunnah.

The point is that it's not some invention of modern political groups, or an unjustified "twisting" of scripture. It is an authentic part of Islamic ideology.
It happens all the time when people kill when the government tell them to kill. Or is that ok because the government says so?

We were discussing murder specifically. Killing as a soldier in war is not murder.
That Jihadist is going to hell in the supposed name of Allah. He commited grave sins.
Reply 13
My point remains the same with or without the word 'innocent'. Being rewarded for murder of any kind is just a ridiculous notion.
They are not being rewarded for "murder". They are being rewarded for "dying while fighting in the cause of Allah".

"Murder", by definition relies on the concept of unlawful killing. If it is lawful (Islamically speaking) it is not murder.
Original post by SomeRandomEskimo
That Jihadist is going to hell in the supposed name of Allah. He commited grave sins.

No. The thing is, he really isn't. That is a mythical place that you have been indoctrinated to believe in by your family and imam. It is time you took a step back and thought rather more analytically about such matters.
Fully-grown men running away like children... it's amazing no-one else was hurt.
The more incidents like this happen, the stronger the case for the average police officer to be armed. In a population without any guns, that's very bad news indeed. The powers that be want multiculturalism because they want a police state. They know fully well these pathetic religious nutjobs will scare the average joe into voting in harsher and more extreme governments to "tackle them".
Reply 16
Oh you mean the lawful killing which is decided by the state? I.E. It's ok to kill because we say so.

If you want to go down that road then these people that are killing don't see it as murder as they think it is justified. You can't take the moral high ground when you say its ok to kill if a certain group of people say it is (I.e. The government) but evil to kill when its a group of people you don't like that says its ok.

That is just complete hypocrisy.
The way around this admittedly difficult conundrum is that the only "acceptable" killing is specifically of armed combatants engaged in offensive action.
You can't take the moral high ground when you say its ok to kill if a certain group of people say it is (I.e. The government) but evil to kill when its a group of people you don't like that says its ok.

That is just complete hypocrisy.

It is the very basis of the nation state, and the nation state is what prevents you from having to live in the anarchy that these people would prefer to bring about. i suggest you think a bit more carefully about the freedoms and protections you live under, and how they are provided and enforced.
If you think you live in genuine freedom and protection then you are deluded I am sorry to break it to you.

I have lived my entire life with the freedom to believe what I wish and to express those beliefs without fear. My safety has been looked after very effectively. Now, compare that to the freedom of belief that is being demonstrated in places like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, and the attention to citizens' safety being shown in places like Burma and Syria, and I think you will see where I would rather live, and under which regime.
Original post by AlexanderHam

Australia really has by far the most pathetic terrorists (which is good tbf). They’ve had quite a few incidents since the rise of ISIS but apart from the Sydney hostage crisis (in which 2 people died including one accidentally killed by police) none of them have led to more than one innocent person dying. A lot of the terrorists are loners and just unbelievably dumb and put zero effort into their attacks. These sorts of attacks are sad but they’ll be on the news for little more than a day.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Minto_stabbing_attack
^This was probably the most pathetic attack of them all. ISIS didn’t even bother claiming responsibility.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest