The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack-
Here is my attempt at question 4:

Based on fiddling about using N=8 and N=10 and arranging them in a circle different ways, I am convinced the minimum V=2(N1)V=2(N-1) and the maximum is V=1N1(N)+N2V=\sum_{1}^{N-1}(N)+\frac{N}{2}

I have no rigorous proof.

My thinking is that if you place the numbers side by side in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., N then there is a difference of 1 between each pair, and there are N-1 of these pairs. There is also the pair at the 'end' of the circle, which consists of (N, 1) and this pair has a difference of N-1 too. So V=1(N1)+(N1)=2(N1)V=1(N-1)+(N-1)=2(N-1)

If I am wrong (which I expect I am given its a round 2 BMO question) I would love to be shown how to answer these sorts of questions correctly!

thanks anyway, was a good try. I think you must have had the right idea as ur proof is similar to mine, Just a slight addition to your proof on the minimum will get you there.

Think of the order 1,2,3,...,n laid out on a line, such that the distance between the line connecting points (1,2) is 1, and more generally the distance between points (i,K) is (k-i), with k>i.
Imagine drawing lines from one number to another number on the line. The lengths of these lines can be thought to represent the difference in the heights of dwarves sitting next to each other.

If we start drawing lines from dwarf 1, it is clear that the lines must at some point get to dwarf N and then back to 1 again (the lines form an unbroken chain going from dwarf 1 to dwarf a to dwarf b.... back to dwarf 1) . Thus the minimum distance is 2(N-1), where the dwarves are sitting clockwise around the circle in the order 1,2,3,...,n.

Still can't prove Maximum...
(edited 13 years ago)
I checked NRich and here is the solution for the maximum. It is really a very elegant proof.

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3002
That is what I had in mind for the maximum too, I just didnt know how to express it as a proof. While toying round, I arranged my numbers like this for my 'maximums':

Which is basically this idea of 'peaks' and 'valleys'.
Original post by Jack-
That is what I had in mind for the maximum too, I just didnt know how to express it as a proof. While toying round, I arranged my numbers like this for my 'maximums':

Which is basically this idea of 'peaks' and 'valleys'.

Nice, but conjecture is sadly very different from proof. But writing out lots of different combinations of possible solutions is the hallmark of a good mathmo.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3004
Yep :frown:

I have to be honest, I have no idea how to write a proof from scratch
1rddr(rdvdr)=k \displaystyle\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dv}{dr}) = -k where k is a constant. Find the general solution of v.
Original post by boromir9111
1rddr(rdvdr)=k \displaystyle\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dv}{dr}) = -k where k is a constant. Find the general solution of v.

-kr^2/4+A?
Original post by rbnphlp
-kr^2/4+A?

Working out?
Original post by boromir9111
Working out?

in my head :smile:

if you really insist

Too easy bruv
bah
Gambling puzzle

There's a gamble that costs £4 to enter. In the gamble you must flip a coin x-times. The number x is chosen at your will. You start with £2 and every time the coin lands heads you quadruple the money you currently have. If the coin lands tails you get nothing at all. So What number x should you pick?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rbnphlp
in my head :smile:

if you really insist

Too easy bruv

After the first integral you'll get an additive constant, so dv/dr = -kr/2 + c/r. So there's an extra c log r term in the answer.
I have a simple puzzle which I doubt anyone here will be able to solve.

7 men, A B C D E F G are staying in a hotel for 15 days. Every day the men gather to dine round a circular table. No man is ever sat next to the same 2 neighbours on more than 1 day. Can you come up with a seating arrangement for the 7 men on the 15 days. There is a solution, but none found it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3013
Original post by methusaleh
I have a simple puzzle which I doubt anyone here will be able to solve.

7 men, A B C D E F G are staying in a hotel for 15 days. Every day the men gather to dine round a circular table. t No man is never sat next to the same 2 neighbours on more than 1 day. Can you come up with a seating arrangement for the 7 men on the 15 days. There is a solution, but none found it.

ABCDEFG every day. Unless never was a typo.
Reply 3014
Original post by methusaleh
Gambling puzzle

There's a gamble that costs £4 to enter. In the gamble you must flip a coin n-times. The number x is chosen at your will. You start with £2 and every time the coin lands heads you quadruple the money you currently have. If the coin lands tails you get nothing at all. So What number x should you pick?

Are x and n the same thing? And, uh, you can't afford to enter.
yeah never--> ever thanks
Sorry for the sloppiness ( it is 1 am) mistakes in the questions have been rectified.
Original post by Glutamic Acid
After the first integral you'll get an additive constant, so dv/dr = -kr/2 + c/r. So there's an extra c log r term in the answer.

I hate you
Reply 3018
this might not be an interesting maths problem, but I find it hard and would appreciate a step by step guide as to how to approach and solve this problem

so it's simultaneous equations, -

x^2 + 4y^2 = 10
2y+3x =10
Original post by sabby777
this might not be an interesting maths problem, but I find it hard and would appreciate a step by step guide as to how to approach and solve this problem

so it's simultaneous equations, -

x^2 + 4y^2 = 10
2y+3x =10

Post your homework in the maths forum, not here!

Quick Reply

Latest