The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
vickyrkenya
Hey,
Im hoping to apply for genetics at Leeds this year and i was just wondering if you guys could give me a general idea of what its like studying in Leeds.
Anything about the City/Acommodation/Student Life or even the course if you know anything about it or biology courses in general.

Thanks!

Leeds is great!! To be honest I'm a bit biased, but its still a fantastic student city.

The city has an amazing student atmosphere, the city centre is full of clubs and bars that always have student deals during the week, so lots of cheap drinks!! Theres every sort of club night you could think of, catering for all tastes. The shopping in the city is great too, I have never managed to come away from a shopping trip empty handed (which isn't always a good thing!!)

The university accomadation is definately improving. It was good when I moved in three years ago and since then they've knocked down a couple of grotty halls, and redone others and built some shiny new ones. Theres a variety of price ranges, the basic halls (which still have everything you want) up to the expensive ones with en suite bathrooms.

Hope this is of some help, if you have a flick through some of the other threads there are similar posts where people asked the same question last year. If you have any more questions just post them here and I'll try to answer them.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
What do you think are the best on campus accomodations?
Reply 3
Abraxis

Probably Ellerslie Halls. The ones on campus are older and generally not as nice but are popular because they're on campus. The nicer places, such as Clarence Dock, Leodis and James Bailie are off campus but are much more modern
Reply 4
I'm staying at St. Mark's. It's grotty, but nice and quiet. It's also incredibly close to the campus. I won't say it isn't ugly, but a lot of unis have halls that are a lot grottier. You have to balance convenience with luxury when you stay at Leeds.

The societies are good here. The nightlife is too. Shopping's better in Manchester, though. As for studying, there's plenty of libraries around - but it depends on what school you belong to.
quadrocat
I'm staying at St. Mark's. It's grotty, but nice and quiet. It's also incredibly close to the campus. I won't say it isn't ugly, but a lot of unis have halls that are a lot grottier. You have to balance convenience with luxury when you stay at Leeds.

The societies are good here. The nightlife is too. Shopping's better in Manchester, though. As for studying, there's plenty of libraries around - but it depends on what school you belong to.

thats the one drawback of me hopefully going to Leeds next year, my lovely home city of manchester, the best cinema and everything :frown: and the shops *sobs* anyway its only a teeny train ride away :biggrin:
Reply 6
Abraxis

Ellerslie. Thats where I am now. I love it :smile:
emma_
Ellerslie. Thats where I am now. I love it :smile:

What would u say is the best self-catering accommodation?
Reply 8
Clarence Dock (I lived there and loved it!!)
Reply 9
yep, Clarence dock. living there and loving it!
Leeds is not a bad place to be.We have a cool film festival at the moment. :cool:
Reply 11
Coral_Fang
yep, Clarence dock. living there and loving it!

Hows Life in Leeds treating you? We haven't heard much from you guys since you went off to the big bad north!!
Reply 12
lol, well actually Leeds is South from my home... but anyway

I've been pleasantly surprised by Leeds, I thought it looked really nice when I came for the open days, but now I'm living here it's just great. I really enjoy my course (materials engineering). Been out most nights, mainly to the cockpit, I didn't realise how close it was to Clarence Dock! Cooking's getting to be a bit of a hassle, although I'm sure I'll get used to it. :rolleyes:

how are you getting on in 'the real world'? :tongue:
Clarence Dock looks really nice...is it hard to get your first choice of accommodation though?
Reply 14
Coral_Fang
lol, well actually Leeds is South from my home... but anyway

I've been pleasantly surprised by Leeds, I thought it looked really nice when I came for the open days, but now I'm living here it's just great. I really enjoy my course (materials engineering). Been out most nights, mainly to the cockpit, I didn't realise how close it was to Clarence Dock! Cooking's getting to be a bit of a hassle, although I'm sure I'll get used to it. :rolleyes:

how are you getting on in 'the real world'? :tongue:

Glad to hear your loving it. Clarence Dock is great. The cooking doesn't really get that much easier, you just get better at picking the cheap takeaways!! (I recommend Melati City for chinese!!) Cookings just too much effort!!

The real world sucks, wish I was still at uni!! I hate my job by I don't reckon I'd like another one any better!! I'm just waiting to win the lottery now!!

I think its just chance whether you get your first choice or not. I got mine, and so did most of my friends, but then there are obviously people who don't. I think you might be more likely to get your first choice in self-catered rather than halls.
vickyrkenya
Hey,
Im hoping to apply for genetics at Leeds this year and i was just wondering if you guys could give me a general idea of what its like studying in Leeds.
Anything about the City/Acommodation/Student Life or even the course if you know anything about it or biology courses in general.

Thanks!

Hi, I've applied (and been accepted) to do J/H in Biochemistry and Genetics. The genetics dept in particular I was impressed with. It was better than the other universities that I visited for this course by quite a long shot.

... Ok, so there's only 4 universities that offer the course, but this includes Nottingham and Sheffield so it is a fairly elite group.
Reply 16
what is boddington like?
kayl_007
what is boddington like?

The actual place is nice, its just miles away from the uni so its a bit of a pain if you want to fall out of bed and into lectures, theres a good half hour bus ride to get anywhere near campus. Its also the opposite way from the uni to the city so its an even longer journey back if you like clubbing and the social aspects of it. I think it is quite self contained though, own bar and entertainment etc if thats more youre scene. It is where most of the sports fields are too if you like a game of football/tennis/netball/extreme ironing etc.

Latest