The Student Room Group

Economics a level????

anyone who takes it could you let me know your experience??

I am deciding between economics and geography a level (edexcel, but even if you are doing another exam board I'd love to hear your opinion on either!)
Reply 1
Hiya I do AQA Economics at A Level, in Year 13 now and have mocks next week so not looking forward to that. Unfortunately I haven't done Geography since Year 9 so I can't really help with that. Whilst Economics isn't a facilitating subject apparently it is on par with these subjects so employers and universities tend to like it if a person has it, I think Geography is a facilitating subject though.
I'm not gonna lie to you, Economics is difficult, there's plenty of theories and graphs that are really hard to grasp, and the 25 mark essays can be tricky. However it's so interesting, you get to learn not just about economies as a whole, national and international (macro) but also about how individual markets and firms react to the changes in the national or global economy (micro). There's a fair bit of maths, but they're easily explained by formulas and they're not overly difficult although you do have to remember them, you're not given a sheet in the front of the exam paper with them on (this may vary with different exam boards, I'm not sure).
Economics takes up a fair amount of my time with getting to know the theories and graphs so it's seriously worth comparing the level of difficulty and time you'll approximately be spending on your other subjects, you do not want to overwhelm yourself at A Levels, it just isn't worth it.
Hope this helped a little, good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by issyo7
Hiya I do AQA Economics at A Level, in Year 13 now and have mocks next week so not looking forward to that. Unfortunately I haven't done Geography since Year 9 so I can't really help with that. Economics is a facilitating subject so employers and universities tend to like it if a person has it, I'm fairly sure it basically shows that it's a tough subject (which it is) so they have a greater respect for you as a person for doing it, I think Geography si also a facilitating subject though.
I'm not gonna lie to you, Economics is difficult, there's plenty of theories and graphs that are really hard to grasp, and the 25 mark essays can be tricky. However it's so interesting, you get to learn not just about economies as a whole, national and international (macro) but also about how individual markets and firms react to the changes in the national or global economy (micro). There's a fair bit of maths, but they're easily explained by formulas and they're not overly difficult although you do have to remember them, you're not given a sheet in the front of the exam paper with them on (this may vary with different exam boards, I'm not sure).
Economics takes up a fair amount of my time with getting to know the theories and graphs so it's seriously worth comparing the level of difficulty and time you'll approximately be spending on your other subjects, you do not want to overwhelm yourself at A Levels, it just isn't worth it.
Hope this helped a little, good luck!

AFAIK Economics is not a facilitating subject but its rigour is seen on a par with those that are. For reference, Geography is a facilitating subject.
Reply 3
Original post by CandidateZero
AFAIK Economics is not a facilitating subject but its rigour is seen on a par with those that are. For reference, Geography is a facilitating subject.

ahh thanks, learn something new everyday, edited.

Quick Reply

Latest