The Student Room Group

A levels are easy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm doing spanish, maths and history and for me a levels are not too hard in the lesson but then i have to go over the stuff quite a lot at home to understand it more, also the tests and exams are more diffucult than gcses because each thing we learn goes into so much more depth than before
It depends. If u take A-levels for 1yr or 1.5yr then within sem 3 its starts getting harder. This is because all the lecturers start teaching at a faster pace within a short period of time, whereas if u take it for 2yrs I assume u have enough time absorb all the info and reach ur goal by the end.
Original post by Cakecupcake
Who else has recently started year 12 and thinks that A Levels are a lot easier than they were made out to be. Also, how much harder do they get (Bio,chem,maths)?

I mean, I take English, Sociology, French and History (so complete opposite to you!) but I'm sure others can vouch here...it's a huge step up from year 11 already; I mean the first few weeks I was super overwhelmed and I had to get to grips with simply trusting the process that my school would get me grade A's and B's. I'm slowly improving in everything now so I'm confident I will be alright, and I don't have a huge workload - it's manageable.

I'm honestly just holding out for mocks because I think that will be my main concern! Hope it helped x
Reply 63
When exams come around, it’s not that easy. I take history sociology and maths, and it’s more of the workload that’s the most different and how you write (for me). Trust me I found year 12 to year 13 a bigger step up than GCSE
Who else has recently started year 12 and thinks that A Levels are a lot easier than they were made out to be. Also, how much harder do they get (Bio,chem,maths)?

Bruh i do Media, Computing and Business studies and there is so much work. You need to keep on top of it cause i did a test and i thought i knew it but the tests are so much harder
Stealth boast!

I got AAA at A level and it was bloody hard work!
Reply 66
Original post by Nautilus
Stealth boast!

I got AAA at A level and it was bloody hard work!

did you do your a levels recently? do you have any tips?
This year. Chemistry, biology and geography. Just keep on top of the homework, and practise past papers. I had a really supportive chemistry teacher, and pulled my grade up from a C to an A.
once you go uni alevels seem like a joke tbh. we cover an alevel worth of content every 2 weeks pretty much, my brain has been fried for ages
I got 100% in my AS exams but the jump to A2 is solid I have to say
Reply 70
(Original post by Nautilus)This year. Chemistry, biology and geography. Just keep on top of the homework, and practise past papers. I had a really supportive chemistry teacher, and pulled my grade up from a C to an A.
ok cool thanks, the workload is a lot but i hope to get A's at the end
Start revising now! Don't leave everything to the last month like most people do with GCSEs, there's far too much content to be learnt over a short period of time. Plus you literally cannot achieve higher than a B unless you do wider reading and build your knowledge outside of the content you learn in class (I know this is true for my A-levels - French, Politics and Economics B). I agree with everyone else, don't underestimate them!
Aim to be an expert on EVERYTHING you learn in y12 over the summer between y12 and y13 as you will have very little time to revise this once you start with y13 content

Well I do biology, chemistry and geography, and in my opinion biology and chemistry is very different from gcse, especially biology. There is so much more content in biology compared to gcse, and chemistry is more complicated, however geography is the same, there is new stuff but part from that geography is like gcse geography.
Doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further maths. Not struggling so far, but neither am I really enjoying sixth form for other reasons. Just want to get A-levels done and then move on with my life.

back in my day you did 4 AS levels and 3 A levels as standard. you will notice the step up next year.
I'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. (I'll probably drop biology as I've decided not to go into medicine)

I self studied a lot of A Level Chemistry over years 9-11 so it's been quite straightforward so far, but there wasn't much of a step up from GCSE so most people who hadn't self studied probably wouldn't find it too difficult at the moment.
For Physics a lot of time was spent going over basic skills, uncertainties etc, and then mechanics which has been okay so far.
Biology has been a bit of a content overload, lots of memorisation
Maths has been quite intensive because people who do Further Maths at my school do the whole Maths A level in year 12 so it's been going quite quickly, but we haven't started Further Maths content yet.
Reply 77

I feel similarly I do maths, further maths, chem , physics . I don't get a lot of homework. The lessons seem quite slow, well for physics and maths ( maths is not a huge step up at all but maybe I'll eat my words at the later topics). Further maths imo is hard as we don't have teachers but we have a tutor so its half self study. Personally, sciences are quite easier than essay based subjects as there is a lot less work...
Reply 78
Original post by Smoothsound
Doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further maths. Not struggling so far, but neither am I really enjoying sixth form for other reasons. Just want to get A-levels done and then move on with my life.

Same, finding further maths hard as we don't have a department at school so we get a tutor from fmsp to help us once a week. Starting further stats next week wbu?

Oh gosh no! It may depend on your subjects but generally, A Levels are tough considering there is so much to remember and learn. It requires constant revision, patience and a LOT of effort and ZERO procrastination as, if you DO procrastinate, you fall really behind. Unlike in IGCSES and GCSES, you have to always be on top of the material or it (workload) WILL bury you alive.

I'm curious. Which subjects do you do?

Quick Reply

Latest