The Student Room Group

Confused about wider reading

I have read in many places that some exam questions will expect you to include things from your own wider reading in order to get the top grades. An example was an exam essay on a topic which took up around half a page in the revision guide. People complained about this which the exam board replied with the fact that people are expected to do wider reading.

I don't see how this is fair. How are students meant to know what to read in order to make getting the top marks easier?

Scroll to see replies

Never heard of this. Is this for A-Level or undergraduate?? And what subjects?
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
Never heard of this. Is this for A-Level or undergraduate?? And what subjects?

A-Level.

I believe the example above was History or a similar subject. It says in my Biology revision guide that for the 25 mark essay I am expected to include evidence of wider reading to get the top marks.
Original post by Goldfish4343
A-Level.

I believe the example above was History or a similar subject. It says in my Biology revision guide that for the 25 mark essay I am expected to include evidence of wider reading to get the top marks.

I can't speak for either of those two subjects, but I'd assume this is only for people needing an A or A* grade.
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
I can't speak for either of those two subjects, but I'd assume this is only for people needing an A or A* grade.

I don't see how this is allowed. We have no idea what we will be expected to do wider reading on. Our grades shouldn't be based on the chance that what we read would be helpful in a question.
I don't see how this is allowed. We have no idea what we will be expected to do wider reading on. Our grades shouldn't be based on the chance that what we read would be helpful in a question.

I agree, wider reading should be for coursework only, at least at A2. I know you're supposed to do wider reading for A-Levels but I think that should only serve to enhance your understanding of the subject as a whole.
Reply 6
What exam board are these for?
Original post by SKhepi
What exam board are these for?

I can't remember about the example in the post but the biology one is AQA.
Wider readings show an advance in knwoledge and being able to use them in essays just acts as a bonus to why they should give you more marks. Examboard's obviously expect you to read around the subject to add depth to the stuff you learn in class. For example in IT, you're expected to read different news reports about cyber attacks etc but again this can vary depending on your qualification
Well it shouldn't really be a problem if you're interested in your subject anyway. Just watch some youtube videos or read some articles. As long as the exam board knows you actually know what you're talking about and have a broad knowledge across more than one subject they should be satisfied that you've done 'wider reading'.
Original post by ForeverAQx
Wider readings show an advance in knwoledge and being able to use them in essays just acts as a bonus to why they should give you more marks. Examboard's obviously expect you to read around the subject to add depth to the stuff you learn in class. For example in IT, you're expected to read different news reports about cyber attacks etc but again this can vary depending on your qualification

But isn't that just punishing those that might have done wider reading, but not on the exact topic that the exam question is about?
Original post by sambeaz6
Well it shouldn't really be a problem if you're interested in your subject anyway. Just watch some youtube videos or read some articles. As long as the exam board knows you actually know what you're talking about and have a broad knowledge across more than one subject they should be satisfied that you've done 'wider reading'.

But what if what you've read isn't able to be put into any of the exam questions which end up coming up?
Reply 12
@sambeaz6 I was just going to say that lol
But what if what you've read isn't able to be put into any of the exam questions which end up coming up?

Well then that's a handful of marks max you might not get, big deal. Just keep your knowledge broad, which it should be anyway if youre an academic aiming for top marks, and if the opportunity comes up to show your knowledge, great, that could get you two or three makes. If it doesn't, good revision should be enough to pick up enough marks for the top grades anyway.
If you want an example of how wider reading can come into play I got a geography question with a graph showing economic growth in the UK, Japan and Sweden. It wasn't on the course content but I mentioned Japan's economic downfall and the 'lost decade' after I'd seen a youtube video on it a few months earlier
Reply 15
Yeah its like just knowing the context behind what you're learning, for example, knowing the history of a novel in English like The Color Purple
For history, you are expected to have done lots of wider reading (you get provided with a reading list, well at least I did doing AQA), as this is used in arguments in the form of historian interpretations and allows concepts that are complicated to be understood through the lens of differing historians. Additionally, in lessons you are basically taught the outline spec, therefore wider reading is necessary to get to grips with the full picture.

In biology, wider reading in regards to the 25 mark essay is literally worth about 2-3 marks, they don't expect you to go off on one, but i think its like linking something in the spec to outside of the spec to answer the questions. I remember everyone complaining about this when doing biology but my teacher said no one hardly ever gets full marks on the essay, and as long as you cover the scientic breadth and actually answer the question you should be fine... The 25 markers may seem like they only apply to one topic, but trust me with more practice you'll realise you can talk about so much!
I have read in many places that some exam questions will expect you to include things from your own wider reading in order to get the top grades. An example was an exam essay on a topic which took up around half a page in the revision guide. People complained about this which the exam board replied with the fact that people are expected to do wider reading.

I don't see how this is fair. How are students meant to know what to read in order to make getting the top marks easier?

I did A-Level Biology AQA and so had to include off spec knowledge in my essay. But it is only to get 24 or 25 marks so it’s definitely not something you should focus on; you have to be in the top band for them even to acknowledge the fact you added extra knowledge. So if you get in the range of 15-20 then you won’t be any better off for adding extra knowledge. I think it’s literally two sentences of off spec knowledge can get you the marks. It’s not much at all. All I did was know a little bit extra for a few topics, for example mentioning the action troponin for muscle contraction and knowing symport/antiport in co-transport. I was lucky my essay title meant I could add in a few extra knowledge sentences for each topic I included. But I haven’t a clue if it helped me at all.
A-Level.

The only thing I can add to this is that synoptic links are important here as well, try to link different areas of what you know, it shows a greater understanding of the subject.
But isn't that just punishing those that might have done wider reading, but not on the exact topic that the exam question is about?

Well its expected to have some sort of extended knowledge to achieve the higher grades, as long as its relevant enough to make a valid point in an exam question, it's usually fine.

Quick Reply

Latest