The Student Room Group

Good christmas songs???

Please drop some good Christmas songs, but not the usual ‘All I want for Christmas’,
etc. (I don’t mind Michael Bubble but preferably something upbeat and not overplayed) :smile: thx

Scroll to see replies

Literally type in christmas songs into google, all chrismas songs are great
Reply 2
Black Christmas - Thotch
“Michael Bubble”. Roflwoffuhlz.

Anyway, to business.

Reply 5
[video="youtube;IbRtGMm96F8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRtGMm96F8[/video]
Reply 6
They do not exist.
only christmas song that is good is fairytale of new york by the pogues & kirsty maccoll
Original post by gjd800
They do not exist.

Reply 9
Original post by ···

He was a paragon of virtue.
Original post by gjd800
They do not exist.

Ah come on man, does Jona Lewie not make you feel at least something?

Also, it's nice to see you back, mate. Seems like ages since you were last posting in Music.
Reply 11
Original post by Manitude
Ah come on man, does Jona Lewie not make you feel at least something?

Also, it's nice to see you back, mate. Seems like ages since you were last posting in Music.

Haha not really, sorry!

I've only been on in dribs and drabs over the past few months really. Got a new job and got dropped in it so been super busy. Same again afetr Xmas, haha.
Original post by gjd800
Haha not really, sorry!

I've only been on in dribs and drabs over the past few months really. Got a new job and got dropped in it so been super busy. Same again afetr Xmas, haha.

No worries lad. That seems to be the case with most post doc people I know. Assuming you've finished your PhD, that is?
Reply 13
No worries lad. That seems to be the case with most post doc people I know. Assuming you've finished your PhD, that is?

Finished it in September, mate! Not got my viva until next month for one reason or another, I think mostly because I'm a pain who wrote on something so niche that getting an expert in from anywhere in the UK has been a monumental ballache. Luckily the tardiness of it hasn't affected what has turned out to be a very nice lecturing gig, but the downside is I have to do the whole course from scratch. I wrote around 40,000 words in lecture materials etc last term and will have to do the same again this term. That'll be the same amount of words as my thesis :laugh:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
They do not exist.

Case for the opposition:

[video="youtube;YvI_FNrczzQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvI_FNrczzQ[/video]
Reply 15
Original post by Profesh
Case for the opposition:

[video="youtube;YvI_FNrczzQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvI_FNrczzQ[/video]

Ok, this is nice so far... But I'm gonan go out on a limb and say I wouldn't class it as a thematic Xmas song... And knowing it alludes to it in the title instinctively turns my stomach :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
Finished it in September, mate! Not got my viva until next month for one reason or another, I think mostly because I'm a pain who wrote on something so niche that getting an expert in from anywhere in the UK has been a monumental ballache. Luckily the tardiness of it hasn't affected what has turned out to be a very nice lecturing gig, but the downside is I have to do the whole course from scratch. I wrote around 40,000 words in lecture materials etc last term and will have to do the same again this term. That'll be the same amount of words as my thesis :laugh:

To be fair, most PhDs are so niche that there are very few capable people, so there is a compromise to make. For me, I have a hope to have my internal examiner as an emeritus professor who has the same academic background as me and an external from a specific research group in a university that does a lot of similar research to what I'm doing, to the extent that they recently launched a new experiment which is effectively an extension of my own work.

Anyway, this is definitely veering off the topic at hand so I'll put up another xmas song that I really like:
Reply 17
To be fair, most PhDs are so niche that there are very few capable people, so there is a compromise to make. For me, I have a hope to have my internal examiner as an emeritus professor who has the same academic background as me and an external from a specific research group in a university that does a lot of similar research to what I'm doing, to the extent that they recently launched a new experiment which is effectively an extension of my own work.

Anyway, this is definitely veering off the topic at hand so I'll put up another xmas song that I really like:

My internal is a 'distinguished professor' that knows **** all about my area broadly construed, but is an expert in linguistic idealism, which I sort of endorse. The external is a bloke that does pretty much what I do and reads both Sanskrit and Pali (essential to get by in my thesis, really), so it's turned out nicely enough in the end!
Reply 18
Surely, surely the correct answer is Stay Another Day by East 17!!
stop the cavalry by jona lewie

Quick Reply

Latest