The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Coursework Mess Up

Basically I've selected a topic for the coursework (deindustrialisation) that I really do not know how to investigate, or even where to start with. I'm already past the deadline for the first draft and I still have no idea how to conduct this project. I often procrastinate, but I've never left anything this late, and every time I open the document to work on it I genuinely have no clue what to do. This will usually result in me panicking even more.

I understand that I'm in this situation because of my own procrastination and unwillingness to ask for help, but does anyone have advice on what to do when you have a project that just overwhelms you? As I say this is far beyond my usual level of screw up.
Okay so do you have a framework of some sort? A structure of what you have to do will often help. I’d start with context/intro and describe the process, choose places that have had severe impacts from it and how it’s been brought about there. Also give a background on the place you want to investigate. INCLUDE MAPS AND PICS!!

Then breakdown your investigation. I chose to do 3 key questions which broke it down into Social, Economic and Environmental. This makes it easier to direct your investigation into certain paths. What’s your overall question?? Xx
Original post by dpksrk2015
Okay so do you have a framework of some sort? A structure of what you have to do will often help. I’d start with context/intro and describe the process, choose places that have had severe impacts from it and how it’s been brought about there. Also give a background on the place you want to investigate. INCLUDE MAPS AND PICS!!

Then breakdown your investigation. I chose to do 3 key questions which broke it down into Social, Economic and Environmental. This makes it easier to direct your investigation into certain paths. What’s your overall question?? Xx

Firstly thanks for the advice. The overall question is 'To what extent has deindustrialisation impacted central Birmingham', and I do have a fairly comprehensive framework for working from the intro through to evaluation.
The most prominent problem I'm facing is that many of the areas that have been impacted (Digbeth, Longbridge, etc) have since undergone regeneration schemes, so many of the impacts have been significantly diminished.

Once again thanks for the feedback :smile:
Original post by ConfusedTiger47
Firstly thanks for the advice. The overall question is 'To what extent has deindustrialisation impacted central Birmingham', and I do have a fairly comprehensive framework for working from the intro through to evaluation.
The most prominent problem I'm facing is that many of the areas that have been impacted (Digbeth, Longbridge, etc) have since undergone regeneration schemes, so many of the impacts have been significantly diminished.

Okay so effectively those are your sites and I’ll leave choosing where they will be to you. But I would break it down into 3 like I said before:

1. What are the social impacts?

Difficult question to answer in terms of data collection. Think about secondary deprivation data (ArcGIS Community Analyst or NOMIS) because people are unlikely to answer questions about how deprived they think they are. But people may answer normal social question like age gender etc. so you can look at the types of people that live in central Birmingham (think about narrowing your title Q because that’s quite big. I chose to do "TWE is there a future for the traditional corner shop in Canterbury" and that proved to be relatively okay because Canterbury is a small city so I would try narrowing it down if possible - if not then don’t worry, keep going)

2. What are the economic impacts?

Again quite difficult. You’d have to look at incomes and salaries - many people of which wouldn’t want to answer. Maybe think about the businesses that are independent and those that aren’t??
3. What are the environmental impacts?
Easiest one to collect the data for. EQS, IoD, measure pollution by sticking tape on walls and comparing it, traffic count, tree count??

Should technically have 8 different methods of data collection including qualitative quantitative primary and secondary so you have a range of methods

Would it not be worth changing the the aim of the investigation? You could look at 'To what extent regeneration schemes have reduced the impacts of deindustrialisation in central Birmingham'.
Original post by dpksrk2015
Okay so effectively those are your sites and I’ll leave choosing where they will be to you. But I would break it down into 3 like I said before:

1. What are the social impacts?

Difficult question to answer in terms of data collection. Think about secondary deprivation data (ArcGIS Community Analyst or NOMIS) because people are unlikely to answer questions about how deprived they think they are. But people may answer normal social question like age gender etc. so you can look at the types of people that live in central Birmingham (think about narrowing your title Q because that’s quite big. I chose to do "TWE is there a future for the traditional corner shop in Canterbury" and that proved to be relatively okay because Canterbury is a small city so I would try narrowing it down if possible - if not then don’t worry, keep going)

2. What are the economic impacts?

Again quite difficult. You’d have to look at incomes and salaries - many people of which wouldn’t want to answer. Maybe think about the businesses that are independent and those that aren’t??
3. What are the environmental impacts?
Easiest one to collect the data for. EQS, IoD, measure pollution by sticking tape on walls and comparing it, traffic count, tree count??

Should technically have 8 different methods of data collection including qualitative quantitative primary and secondary so you have a range of methods

Thanks so much for this advice, conducting independent research such as this has always been a weaker side of mine compared to exams, essays, etc. so this as really helped. I'll be sure to implement this into my work and honestly this has given me a much clearer view, particularly in terms of the deprivation data.

In regards to narrowing down the title to more specific areas, I'm only using 'central Birmingham' as a filler of sorts while I determine the exact locations, so I'll be changing it for sure.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by naem071
Would it not be worth changing the the aim of the investigation? You could look at 'To what extent regeneration schemes have reduced the impacts of deindustrialisation in central Birmingham'.

I considered doing this, but a friend in my class is already doing a project concerned with the regeneration of Birmingham CBD (particularly in regards to deindustrialisation), and we're not allowed by the teachers to have such similar titles due to the fact that we could potentially work together for large portions of the analysis, etc.

Thanks for the reply though, I agree with what you're suggesting.
Thanks so much for this advice, conducting independent research such as this has always been a weaker side of mine compared to exams, essays, etc. so this as really helped. I'll be sure to implement this into my work and honestly this has given me a much clearer view, particularly in terms of the deprivation data.

In regards to narrowing down the title to more specific areas, I'm only using 'central Birmingham' as a filler of sorts while I determine the exact locations, so I'll be changing it for sure.

So glad I could help! I know that I found it quite difficult myself in actually writing it so I know how hard it can be - pm me if you need anything else! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending