The Student Room Group

programing project

i need help doing my programing project 2019-2020 task 2. so if you have any idea as to what i need to do or have previously done it and are willing to help please do.
That's a bit vague/broad! It'd be easier for people to help if you'd ask a more specific question - if you're stuck on something, then it helps if you can describe which part(s) you're not understanding, what you've tried, and what the problem(s) are that you're getting.

A bit of general programming advice, in case it helps:

- Always look for ways that you can "divide and conquer" - that is, don't try to solve one big, difficult, complex problem; instead break it down into a list of much smaller, simpler problems which are easier to reason about on their own and just grapple with those one-at-a time.

- If you're not sure where to start, then think about starting with whichever part of the program generates any kind of 'output' - whether that's writing text on the screen, or maybe putting something into a file.

- Use functions to solve individual problems, or even use an entire new program - sometimes it helps to writing lots of small programs in order to try to figure stuff out without everything being 'clouded' with the rest of the program. You can stitch it all together later on once the smaller bits of the jigsaw are in place.

- Remember the "Von neumann architecture" - In other words, remember that all programs are really just a mix of Inputs, Processing, Storage/Memory and Outputs. This is helpful because if you focus on splitting up problems like that, then everything should be manageable. For example, don't try to write a big monolithic chunk of code which mangles up a whole mix of user input, file input, data/list operations, calculations and output -- that's the way you end up with a confusing mess.

- Try to use functions in the programming language and use each function to do a single "thing" (like reading a file or asking a user to input something) -- the functions you write are like your 'building blocks' that can help you divide-and-conquer.

- Do make use of Google and ask it simple programming questions because you will find loads of good examples, tutorials and other code snippets that you can look at to understand how other people solve similar problems - for example "How do I read a file in python" will give you many different ways of doing things.

- Do think about your data and how it really looks - both in-memory and in files. For example, if you need to create your own data, then maybe think about using '.CSV' format (comma-separated-value -- i.e. a table which is stored in plain-text using commas to separate each column per line/row). You'll find lots of examples online using CSV files in all the popular programming languages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending