The Student Room Group

Manchester vs Bristol City

I got accepted to the university of law. I can't choose whether I would like to study in Bristol or Manchester. I am pursuing the graduate diploma in law. I know the requirements for the university is the same in both cities but my question is regarding the better city. In terms of friendliness, uni life and training contract opportunities.
Reply 1
Any reason why Bristol in terms of what does it offer as opposed to Manchester?
Reply 2
I am more used to a quiet life but my parents read an article listing Bristol as one of the worst cities to live so they're a bit reserved on me being international and choosing such city. I looked into Manchester but i've never lived in a big city before but wouldn't be opposed to it either. Would you consider it as one of the worst cities?
It's true Manchester is a bigger city, but only in terms of it's outlying towns and the overall region. The city centre of Manchester is actually very small by usual city standards. You can walk from one side of Manchester city centre to the other in about 25/30 minutes. The university is about 20 minutes walk to the city centre, but the university location has a very campus-y feel to it and Manchester doesn't have lots of huge skyscrapers, so you never really feel like you're in a city until you walk around the centre.
It's also easy to reach and has the UK's second biggest airport. 2 hours from London on the Virgin train network and the university itself has a great international ranking. There's about 14,000 overseas students there too, so it's nice and diverse and the majority of people from the UK will tell you (if they have visited) that Manchester is a really friendly city.

To tell you the truth I do not think you would regret coming to either, but as you can tell I think Manchester will be the better fit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending