The Student Room Group

3rd year at sixthform

Hi
I'm half wayish through year 12 and failing maths. My other two subjects are going well - AA - and I know I'm capable of doing well in maths (8 at GCSE) but I'm struggling to cope with it. Is it possible to drop maths, pick up chemistry at the start of year 13, take my RS and Bio exams at the end of year 13 like everyone else but take a chem A level rather than AS in I guess year 14? I don't want to have to take AS chem or retake Bio and RS too.
Hi! It really depends school to school so your best bet is probably to talk to your head of sixth form. But, at my school people dropped subjects at the end of y12 if they failed them and took up another 1/2 - the only thing is in your y14 you probably won’t be allowed to do just one A level (due to school hours needed for funding, if it’s a comprehensive) so you might have to do two/EPQ too or something. I’ve seen a fair few people do this.
Loads of people do this at the sixth form college I go to.
I’m not sure if it’s the same for all sixth forms, but where I go it’s very common and they even encourage students to drop a subject if they’re struggling and to do a third year. If you don’t want to do a third year (again I’m not sure if this is common around other colleges) you can always look into fast tracking an a level such as sociology, philosophy or psychology. They are less desirable qualifications but some unis require students to have completed their a levels in just 2 years.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks - I'll have to think on it but good to know I have the options

Quick Reply

Latest