The Student Room Group

Fast Track GCSEs?

I’m currently a year 10 student, and I am being forced to move schools due to unforeseen circumstances. I intent on transferring to a school that offers 1 year courses to year 11 students, although you can only study a maximum of 7 subjects. My plan is to join and study maths, english language, english literature, 3 sciences and economics. I have already completed 1 year (and 1 term) of computer science and RS, so I can complete those on my own. Will schools let me enter at my current age (15, but year 10) as a year 11 and complete my GCSEs early?
Reply 1
I don't entirely get what you are asking.
Are you asking if it's possible to enter for a GCSE In Year 10? - Yes. you can.
Do you want to know if your current school/new school will be willing to enter you for Comp Sci and/or RE for this Summer? Comp Sci - unlikely as you won't have completed the 20 hours required NEA. RE - ask them. Thaey may want you to pay the fee.
Bear in mind sthat the entry deadline for taking GCSEs this Summer is at half term so you would need to get this sorted fast.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
I don't entirely get what you are asking.
Are you asking if it's possible to enter for a GCSE In Year 10? - Yes. you can.
Do you want to know if your current school/new school will be willing to enter you for Comp Sci and/or RE for this Summer? Comp Sci - unlikely as you won't have completed the 20 hours required NEA. RE - ask them. Thaey may want you to pay the fee.
Bear in mind sthat the entry deadline for taking GCSEs this Summer is at half term so you would need to get this sorted fast.

I need to leave my current school, which is normal. So complete all GCSEs in year 11. My intention is to move to a school that offers all one year courses (complete full courses in one year) and finish my GCSEs this year (10) and complete A Levels early.
Reply 3
Original post by coleslaw15
I need to leave my current school, which is normal. So complete all GCSEs in year 11. My intention is to move to a school that offers all one year courses (complete full courses in one year) and finish my GCSEs this year (10) and complete A Levels early.

Still don't understand. You say you are currently in Year 10.
When are you expecting to change schools - e.g. Easter of Year 10?
When are you hoping to take your GCSEs - Summer of Year 10 (i.e. 2019) or Summer of Year 11 (i.e. 2020)?
Have you found a school that offers you the chance to do 7 complete GCSEs in one year? (I've never heard of one)
You really have to prove you’re good at the subjects, it’s unusual to do lots (say 7) though in a year… I don’t quite get why you want to though, you’d do better just to take two years, there isn’t any advantage in finishing sooner, plus then you won’t be with your age group

Quick Reply

Latest