The Student Room Group

GCSE French predicted 9, should I proceed to DELF B1 and/or B2?

My current French teacher has encouraged me to pursue further qualifications in French after my predicted and mock grade for GCSE French turned out to be 9.

I have been studying French at Alliance Française from the start of year 7 until spring year 9 (~11 courses inc. 1 fast track), and have already done the A1 Junior qualification (and supposed to do A2 in summer year 9 but I left).

I have since moved to the UK and in my mocks for GCSE French I got marks of 30/50(Listening) 55/60(Speaking) 57/60(Reading) 54/60(Writing)

I'm just not sure where B1 and B2 sit and how much work would be required in my 2 years of sixth form to achieve those qualifications. I would be doing 4 subjects (Maths[already self-studied all content of AS] AddMaths Physics Chemistry) in addition to my Native Language (sorry for that school wouldn't pay for IGCSE first language) alongside commitments for Piano ATCL and Grade 8 Music Theory.

On a related note, how do A-Level French and DELF B2 compare?

Thank you for any response!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by hydrogenvshelium
My current French teacher has encouraged me to pursue further qualifications in French after my predicted and mock grade for GCSE French turned out to be 9.

I have been studying French at Alliance Française from the start of year 7 until spring year 9 (~11 courses inc. 1 fast track), and have already done the A1 Junior qualification (and supposed to do A2 in summer year 9 but I left).

I have since moved to the UK and in my mocks for GCSE French I got marks of 30/50(Listening) 55/60(Speaking) 57/60(Reading) 54/60(Writing)

I'm just not sure where B1 and B2 sit and how much work would be required in my 2 years of sixth form to achieve those qualifications. I would be doing 4 subjects (Maths[already self-studied all content of AS] AddMaths Physics Chemistry) in addition to my Native Language (sorry for that school wouldn't pay for IGCSE first language) alongside commitments for Piano ATCL and Grade 8 Music Theory.

On a related note, how do A-Level French and DELF B2 compare?

Thank you for any response!
I'm at uni now studying French, out tutors said there isn't a direct correlation between CEFR and a-levels, but they'd put it at a B1 level :smile:

It's ultimately up to where you think you are but i would say with all your extra commitments go for B1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending