The Student Room Group

What time of year do Medical schools send students on elective?

I’m a doctor looking to set up an Expedition Medicine elective and wondering when the best time of year would be to run it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
A wide range. Mostly January through June, I think. Unfortunately this info doesn't tend to be easily found on websites.

Seeing as your whole business is based around knowing this I'd suggest checking individual websites, and contacting med schools individually where dates are not clear.
As said, very variable. Also depends if you’re aiming it solely at UK students or not.

I spent 3 years working in a rural hospital in Africa that took elective students- mostly UK but also rest of Europe and occasionally Canada / US / Australia. Most of my students came March to July, a small number in Dec-Feb, often the non-UKers. Some unis do elective in penultimate year so it can be bit later in the summer than final year students who’ll be finished and back and graduating in July.

There was also a reasonably wide difference in length of time people spent - anything from 3-6 weeks depending on travel plans, how strict uni requirements were, wish to do a project etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Aww I would have loved to do expedition medicine, it’s what I’m hoping to do for my F3!

I’m at QUB and ours ran from end of June to the first week August :smile:
Original post by junior.doctor

There was also a reasonably wide difference in length of time people spent - anything from 3-6 weeks depending on travel plans, how strict uni requirements were, wish to do a project etc.

That's short! I guess they weren't doing all of their elective with you then?
Original post by nexttime
That's short! I guess they weren't doing all of their elective with you then?

I lived in a very remote and unique place with some brilliant travel opportunities , so some students whose universities were less strict on the project requirement and who could get away with less, would do a bit with us and then go and travel - or combine with another project in another part of the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending