The Student Room Group

Shouted Smelly at me in the airport opinions

I completely understand and would love it if the person went up to me and said "sorry you smell a little"
I had a cold so didn't know.

So the other day I was going 30 miles, quite a bit of walking in thick clothes in japan, now they put the temp high on transport, around 22C which is hot if you're dressed for 5C

I sweated a bit and when it came to the airport security, taking my coat off, i smelled and the other british guy smelled it, when i went to collect my things, he said to his asian girl friend infact shouted "urgh somebodies really smelly" Then he goes to the security woman "can you smell it?" to which she says "i don't know"

So like I say , I don't have a problem with letting someone know, maybe he was angry especially since i'll be on a plane smelling.
But his mood was so light hearted, like mocking? or maybe like how you talk to your partner in that tone where you go "you've been a very naughty insert gender"
so was he intending to bully and humiliate or was he annoyed but trying not to be confrontational.
I know asian girls tend not to bully so her going along with what he says would shock me, i just don't want to feel sad about that last part.
I know how westerners can be sometimes and yes i am wrong for smelling and i immediately cleaned up after.
To me he just sounds like someone who can't control what they say. I doubt he was angry or trying to bully you, he probably just said it without thinking. It's inappropriate on his part in my opinion, but he probably didn't mean anything in particular by it.
Original post by TheNewLad
To me he just sounds like someone who can't control what they say. I doubt he was angry or trying to bully you, he probably just said it without thinking. It's inappropriate on his part in my opinion, but he probably didn't mean anything in particular by it.

That's what I was hoping, i'm not annoyed by him making me aware as i had a blocked nose too from a previous cold. He did make sure though that it was towards me really loud but probably a way of saying hey please do something about it but was a heat of the moment to say something because i'm going on a plane and it would be worse for others to smell of course.
Reply 3
Original post by Flyingaround
I completely understand and would love it if the person went up to me and said "sorry you smell a little"
I had a cold so didn't know.

So the other day I was going 30 miles, quite a bit of walking in thick clothes in japan, now they put the temp high on transport, around 22C which is hot if you're dressed for 5C

I sweated a bit and when it came to the airport security, taking my coat off, i smelled and the other british guy smelled it, when i went to collect my things, he said to his asian girl friend infact shouted "urgh somebodies really smelly" Then he goes to the security woman "can you smell it?" to which she says "i don't know"

So like I say , I don't have a problem with letting someone know, maybe he was angry especially since i'll be on a plane smelling.
But his mood was so light hearted, like mocking? or maybe like how you talk to your partner in that tone where you go "you've been a very naughty insert gender"
so was he intending to bully and humiliate or was he annoyed but trying not to be confrontational.
I know asian girls tend not to bully so her going along with what he says would shock me, i just don't want to feel sad about that last part.
I know how westerners can be sometimes and yes i am wrong for smelling and i immediately cleaned up after.

He actually did you a favour tbh and made you aware that you smell ..which gives you a heads up that you need to change something in your routine.

Most people won't say anything and just whisper behind said persons back instead
He didn’t really shout it at you. People sweat, particularly if they’re wearing too many layers. He was insensitive and silly so just ignore him.

Quick Reply

Latest