The Student Room Group

Strategic med school applications / is it a lost cause

Hi !
I’m thinking of applying for Medicine ( very close to the deadline, I know) but I am also aware that it’s a massive gamble as everyone is just scarily outstanding.I would need to be very strategic with my application. My UCAT score was not amazing so I know my options are limited so wanted some suggestions for where I could realistically have somewhat of a chance of getting at least an interview ? Also , if you think it is just overall better to just apply to do another degree (would be Neuroscience or Chemistry) and go through the graduate route, let me know please ! I know being a doctor would make me the most fulfilled and would be prepared to do the longer journey but if you think there are any med schools that may give me a chance then I will give it a shot 👍🏽 I’ll drop my info below :

-A levels bio chem maths : AAA
-GCSEs :9999999988A
-UCAT 2630 SJT Band 1
-Volunteered in Dementia ward
-Shadowed for a week in rural hospital abroad
-Lead Medical Debate
-Extracurriculars: recreational rock climbing and badminton, reading
- Working at airport and more volunteering during my gap year

Would appreciate any med school suggestions, opinions, or advice , thanks so much :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
if you meet any contextual offers for unis check them out for medicine , also check out any foundation medicine courses if you meet them i got a lower ucat than yours :/ and im applying this year same grades for a levels and fairly. I also retook year 12 to change my a levels when i knew that i wanted to go for med so I say your better off applying than graduate youve got nothing to lose. Apply to lower ucat heavy unis aston keele cardiff kent and even have an option for foundation course if you meet the requirements for background!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending