The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering

I've applied to study Mechanical Engineering at Liverpool but almost everyone I have told has suggested I should apply to Manchester, Bristol, or Birmingham. Though according to some academic sources, Liverpool is very highly rated.

I know the possibility of going to Bristol is a no no, as I don't have A-level Maths but as far as the others I have contacted and they seem content with my qualifications.

Can anyone explain why not to go to Liverpool vs the other Uni's?
Reply 1
Tell them to get lost lol It's your choice. Surely you had good reasons for going to Liverpool, aside from the course?
How can you do mechanical engineering without maths? Is it a foundation course?
Reply 3
Same question as Good bloke - I'm on a mech eng course at the moment and find maths a killer, even with an A level in it!
Reply 4
That's actually a fair point. I didn't pick up on that. I've seen some engineering courses out there that don't require maths A-level (some that only require two Cs and don't specifiy any required A-levels at all).

But I think doing engineering without maths is not a good idea.
I'm in the same boat as Good Bloke, and CurlyBen. I was going to go straight into the Degree, but chances are I'll do a foundation degree.
I'm struggling a bit with Mechanical Principles and the Futher Maths.
River85

But I think doing engineering without maths is not a good idea.

I agree - it is applied maths with oil, isn't it?
Reply 7
Although my father managed a reasonably succesful career as a mechanical design engineer without maths A-level (let alone a degree). Not really a recommended route and quite difficult to do these days anyhoo.

Although he admits to stuggling his way through lol :smile:
Reply 8
Good bloke
How can you do mechanical engineering without maths? Is it a foundation course?

CurlyBen
Same question as Good bloke - I'm on a mech eng course at the moment and find maths a killer, even with an A level in it!

ocelotrevs
I'm in the same boat as Good Bloke, and CurlyBen. I was going to go straight into the Degree, but chances are I'll do a foundation degree.
I'm struggling a bit with Mechanical Principles and the Futher Maths.

I done an HNC in Mechanical Engineering, which is pretty hard in itself but not comparable to alevels as its a part time course, work based..as opposed to full time alevels. I know maths is very hard in first year even if you have done alevels, but its not impossible. I know a few people who have done this route..its hard, they struggle but they manage. CurlyBen, can you recommend some text books?

To answer your questions, no its full time first year Beng Mechanical Engineering.

I'm appreciative for your replies and concerns but can you tell me about your university, what are the lectures like..do they provide decent enough notes or even lecture recordings, what is the ratio of coursework/exams ... have any of you seen these http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/index.htm
I can follow these quite well.

Edit:
River85
Tell them to get lost lol It's your choice. Surely you had good reasons for going to Liverpool, aside from the course?

Its mainly I want to go to a decent University in Mechanical Engineering. For what I've heard the way Liverpool do their lectures also differs from other universities, I haven't visited it yet, so I don't know what the area is like but hopefully I will visit within the next few weeks. My main concern is what and how good the university is, how they support there students, their oganisation, which its very difficult to check.. league tables seem to be useless, its very hard to talk to present students as obviously they are studying for exams etc..and going round to every university would be impossible.
Reply 9
What exactly do you cover in an HNC? I'm not really familiar with them. Certainly on my degree it is assumed you can do maths to at least A level standard confidently and competently, although the first semester's maths was basically the bits of maths and further maths A level needed on the course being revised (self taught). It is hard, and you have to keep on top of it because it is introduced into other modules - frustratingly (for me) you can fail almost all the modules if you can't do the maths, but you don't need to be a good engineer to pass! Having said that modules like materials and design are far less mathematical, if any at all is used. As for textbooks I think the Stroud "Engineering Mathematics" and "Advance Engineering Mathematics" are recommended pretty much everywhere (though it wasn't the primary book for my course, it was said to be better for weaker mathmeticians, so that's what I went for). It's certainly good enough to teach yourself from. Important areas are calculus and differential equations (both ordinary and partial), and matrices to an extent. We've done some vector stuff but not huge amounts. If you can get your head round all of that by the time you need to apply it then things should be much simpler! (Just to clarify, that's not stuff you need to know before you start - although making sure your calculus is pretty reasonable will make life a lot easier).
Hope that helps
Ben
Liverpool is a very respectable university indeed. You need to appreciate how quickly maths is covered in engineering, though. Roughly the equivalent of further maths A level may flash past in a month or so.
Good bloke
Liverpool is a very respectable university indeed. You need to appreciate how quickly maths is covered in engineering, though. Roughly the equivalent of further maths A level may flash past in a month or so.

In a month? Seriously? Yeah thats pretty quick. Is maths generally covered by exams or coursework though?
darkeneddreams
In a month? Seriously?

A level equivalence is often achieved in that sort of time; another example is A level computing on a computer science degree. You are expected to do a lot of work for yourself at university.
Reply 13
darkeneddreams
In a month? Seriously? Yeah thats pretty quick. Is maths generally covered by exams or coursework though?

It depends on the Uni and the course. In my first year we had to complete two pieces of Maths coursework that were a little bit more abstract than the level of Maths you'd apply in actual Engineering. These counted for a very small portion and the majority of the marks for Maths came at the end of year exam. This year it's purely an exam...there's no coursework for Maths involved.

Latest