The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ak0509
Yes, you are right from the perspective of the relevance to the industry, up to date content and overall effectiveness. But, at least in my country, there is a lot of weightage placed on a Master's degree and the university reputation by both industry and academica.
I have myself been denied a lot of opportunities due to the lack of a Masters in my CV.
Besides, I also want to keep my options open in terms of pursuing a PhD, if things turn out well. Having a good masters, increases the chances of getting accepted for a PhD.
At the end of it all, like you pointed out, it's more of a personal choice to pursue a path.

I should have clarified that I was mostly speaking from a US/Canadian perspective which to some extent is similar to other Anglo-speaking countries but could vastly differ in other parts of the world.
(edited 4 years ago)
That said, the UoL MSc, mentioned here by another poster did look like it was structured better, for around the same price, so it's something I may consider later on. It is, of course, focused on Data Science/Analytics rather than Computer Science, so it's geared to a different market. I had considered doing the Glasgow MSc in Data Analytics, but like others have said, it's become far more mathematically oriented, so I wouldn't even be able to get onto that one, nevermind the very high price tag.
Original post by georgio69
When applying to the program, what's the format of the recommendation? IE: Does my recommender have to submit a letter of recommendation or are they directed to a link where they have to fill out the answers to questions?

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take to complete approximately?

Thanks

I think it's quite open. My referrer was a prior employer who wrote a reasonably general letter, simply pointing out times I had been helpful to the company on the computer/IT side of things. The letter was on company letterhead and I got them to address it specifically to the CS dept. I'm not sure there even was an option for using a standard recommendation form.
Original post by TCA2b
That said, the UoL MSc, mentioned here by another poster did look like it was structured better, for around the same price, so it's something I may consider later on. It is, of course, focused on Data Science/Analytics rather than Computer Science, so it's geared to a different market. I had considered doing the Glasgow MSc in Data Analytics, but like others have said, it's become far more mathematically oriented, so I wouldn't even be able to get onto that one, nevermind the very high price tag.

U of L bases fees on where your live, so for band A countries it's 8000 but if you're from any western nation it's 12k. But it looks like a good program, too. I'm currently pursuing another degree there (in combination with my studies at York) so wouldn't be allowed to do that program until i completed the other.
Original post by elideli
This holds true only when you have an abundance of candidates which we know isn't the case for tech, it also holds true if you want to work at Google as you'll be competing with thousands, but generally speaking, for the majority of jobs out there, the reputation of the university you attended will have minimal effect as the market is candidate-driven, meaning that thousands of people are finding jobs with no formal training or whatsoever.

Now, you have to ask yourself what would be the best use of your time, learn the theory or do actual stuff or do both. For myself, I would look for a balance between the theoretical stuff you get from a MSc and the practical stuff you need to get a job. This is the problem I have with the programme at York, it looks like to be out of touch from the industry. I still don't get it why there isn't a single course on data visualization considering how important it is. This is without mentioning that the teaching is very poor as reported by many people on this forum, and you need to dedicate +20 hours per week which will greatly limit your opportunities to work on side projects if you work full time. I feel like it's a cash cow programme where you get little value and pay mostly for the name. Don't get me wrong, the programme will certainly show its value from a long-term perspective, you get a solid theoretical base in the field from a reputable university.

This is why datascience bootcamps are so popular and full of people with MScs and PhDs, they have great degrees from great universities but all are off from the real world. I think the Glyndwr programme does have a value proposition despite the no-name, the structure and content seems to be more inline from what is required by the industry. At the end, all all roads lead to Rome, it all depend on personal circumstances/goals and only you can decide which path is best.

I hope you weren't influenced too much by my posts in saying that 'the teaching is very poor as reported by many...'. I'm critical about the lack of support I had for one module, and yes things could be better, but overall so far I have otherwise found the material quite engaging. I do wonder if the program gives enough programming training, but i'm too early in to judge one way or the other. I'll update people as i progress in the program as to my experience, but if you are interested in the MSc, please do not let my observations (based only on 2 modules so far) colour your impression too much.
Original post by *tj_nova*
U of L bases fees on where your live, so for band A countries it's 8000 but if you're from any western nation it's 12k. But it looks like a good program, too. I'm currently pursuing another degree there (in combination with my studies at York) so wouldn't be allowed to do that program until i completed the other.

Yes, I see that now. Must've misread it. It's a well structured programme, so given that you can spread the cost over time it may still be a good pick for me, although I'm not in a huge rush to sign up to an MSc as yet.
What do you guys think of this Professional Certificate from IBM/Coursera

IBM Data Science Professional Certificate

It has all the topics and ends with a capstone. You get a certificate for a fraction of the price of a Masters.
Original post by reyjusuf

It has all the topics and ends with a capstone. You get a certificate for a fraction of the price of a Masters.

It's not a degree. The last time I looked at jobs in the market, they all require a relevant degree or experience. If you are looking at jobs that require the certificate that you mentioned above, then it makes sense to do it, otherwise it's just a talking point on your CV, when you get an interview.
I'm also looking at Arizona State University's course. However, it is a Master of Computer Science degree, not MSc. in Computer Science.

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/master-of-computer-science-asu/academics

The plus for me is it is in Coursera, a platform I have used and liked. The negative is it is US$15000 for the whole degree.
Reply 569
I'm also looking at Arizona State University's course. However, it is a Master of Computer Science degree, not MSc. in Computer Science.

The plus for me is it is in Coursera, a platform I have used and liked. The negative is it is US$15000 for the whole degree.

As far as my search goes, the cheapest option is Georgia Tech OMSCS.
Reply 570

I have done it - took 3 months

Was good to get some basics and overview of data science, statistics, modelling etc.

Capstone project was good

Best thing I have done was to go at data conference and get in touch with real people that are doing code reviews and helping / mentoring

The Coursera course gave me objectives to work against

Sounds like not a particularly important distinction. All of the online Master's programs currently available (GeorgiaTech, Texas, ASU, Penn, York, etc) seem to have benefits and disadvantages, but all look quite decent. Decide based on your budget, interests, whether you have the pre-reqs, etc. and apply! So far, I can say that overall doing the MSc has been a great decision for me.
Original post by Edtao3000
Research methods is part of the rotating modules. I am fairly certain about this as my colleague is doing research methods now, which would have been their 5th module if they had not taken a break with the previous module, hence it's their 4th.

On the advanced programming module and also the AI module has there been any advanced mathematics, like say calculus etc?
Original post by Yourmainmancj
On the advanced programming module and also the AI module has there been any advanced mathematics, like say calculus etc?

No.
No.

Ah ok, I would’ve thought there would’ve been at-least calculus.
Mathematics of that sort, as well as statistics and linear algebra, could feature on the data analysis modules, but given that the degree does not stipulate the need for a background in maths, I doubt it would be anything too difficult. Could be worth asking the uni.
Original post by TCA2b
Mathematics of that sort, as well as statistics and linear algebra, could feature on the data analysis modules, but given that the degree does not stipulate the need for a background in maths, I doubt it would be anything too difficult. Could be worth asking the uni.

To be honest if the mathematics hasn't shown up in the AI module then its unlikely to show up elsewhere as AI is probably the most mathematical topic on the list, as well as maybe big data. This is slightly disappointing imo.
To be honest if the mathematics hasn't shown up in the AI module then its unlikely to show up elsewhere as AI is probably the most mathematical topic on the list, as well as maybe big data. This is slightly disappointing imo.

It may be disappointing, but it reflects the current status, as there is a greater emphasis on understanding the algorithms than necessarily the maths behind them.
It may be disappointing, but it reflects the current status, as there is a greater emphasis on understanding the algorithms than necessarily the maths behind them.

Yes that's true
Can confirm this, I recently spoke to the course leader and I asked about any potential maths content on the course, he said there isn't any. He also said anyone looking to continue onto PhD studies after this degree wouldn't be at any disadvantage due to this being a conversion course.

Do traditional computer science masters tend to not have any maths component? That did seem a bit odd but I dont have any experience with this.

Yes that's true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending