The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Scroll to see replies

The course is shockingly bad, avoid. Infact, avoid anything from Higher Education Partners, they run degree mills with the sole purpose of extracting your fees.
Reply 1701
Original post by york_msc_sucks
The course is shockingly bad, avoid. Infact, avoid anything from Higher Education Partners, they run degree mills with the sole purpose of extracting your fees.

So they didn't improve anything over the years
Ok so let me explain everything wrong with this course after graduating in 2022, starting a PhD, completing a robotics MSc, teaching undergrads and starting an undergraduate degree to fill in the gaps of the trash can that was York.

The problem with York is that it misses very essential topics that are needed to succeed at PhD level and on other Computer Science MSc degrees. Firstly, York does not teach any discrete mathematics, discrete mathematics such as sets, proofs etc are essential for writing academic papers in AI and machine learning. They also don’t teach computational math such as differentiation, binary and decimal, calculus, series and sequences, (they teach a bit of graph theory and predicate logic). Good luck writing anything of publishable value without these skills.
Now on to AI and Machine learning. York’s AI coverage is ok, but what is criminal is that they teach absolutely no Bayesian statistics, no hidden markov theory, no Monte Carlo theory, without these topics, you can basically say goodbye to any real AI/ML at PhD level. Also they attempt to teach neural networks, yet there is absolutely zero mention of tensorflow or PyTorch, these are basically the industry standard skills in Machine learning engineering job. If you mention that you used WEKA or even just SKlearn then you should expect to be laughed out of the interview room at best, shot in the worst case.
The actual data science part is a joke, absolutely no SQL is taught, when I tried getting job interviews without SQL I basically got DISQLIFIED, seriously, a data science course that doesn’t teach SQL or any data science math is basically garbage and won’t get you anywhere.
The computer architecture is a joke, they don’t teach the fundamentals of digital logic like adders and multiplexer, they don’t even tell you basic stuff like how to design a digital logic circuit in circuitmaker, the module has zero value as it is just a husk of the topic. Also in such a module you should learn to code in assembly code and also you should be able to make a basic OS in C , this is the standard in most good undergrad courses…..

I could go on but I won’t bore you with the details, this is the gist of the problem, from what I can see Bath’s computer science MSc is only marginally better. Basically in CS there are no shortcuts, get an undergrad CS degree and then get an advanced computer science MSc, anything else is a waste of your time and money.ee

Hope this helps
Reply 1703
Original post by Altaranfer123
Ok so let me explain everything wrong with this course after graduating in 2022, starting a PhD, completing a robotics MSc, teaching undergrads and starting an undergraduate degree to fill in the gaps of the trash can that was York.

The problem with York is that it misses very essential topics that are needed to succeed at PhD level and on other Computer Science MSc degrees. Firstly, York does not teach any discrete mathematics, discrete mathematics such as sets, proofs etc are essential for writing academic papers in AI and machine learning. They also don’t teach computational math such as differentiation, binary and decimal, calculus, series and sequences, (they teach a bit of graph theory and predicate logic). Good luck writing anything of publishable value without these skills.
Now on to AI and Machine learning. York’s AI coverage is ok, but what is criminal is that they teach absolutely no Bayesian statistics, no hidden markov theory, no Monte Carlo theory, without these topics, you can basically say goodbye to any real AI/ML at PhD level. Also they attempt to teach neural networks, yet there is absolutely zero mention of tensorflow or PyTorch, these are basically the industry standard skills in Machine learning engineering job. If you mention that you used WEKA or even just SKlearn then you should expect to be laughed out of the interview room at best, shot in the worst case.
The actual data science part is a joke, absolutely no SQL is taught, when I tried getting job interviews without SQL I basically got DISQLIFIED, seriously, a data science course that doesn’t teach SQL or any data science math is basically garbage and won’t get you anywhere.
The computer architecture is a joke, they don’t teach the fundamentals of digital logic like adders and multiplexer, they don’t even tell you basic stuff like how to design a digital logic circuit in circuitmaker, the module has zero value as it is just a husk of the topic. Also in such a module you should learn to code in assembly code and also you should be able to make a basic OS in C , this is the standard in most good undergrad courses…..

I could go on but I won’t bore you with the details, this is the gist of the problem, from what I can see Bath’s computer science MSc is only marginally better. Basically in CS there are no shortcuts, get an undergrad CS degree and then get an advanced computer science MSc, anything else is a waste of your time and money.ee

Hope this helps

Thanks for sharing!

Hope this helps

It's impossible to teach AI to people who don't have the foundation maths. That this course doesn't teach or require them is unforgivable, they're selling people a lie.

There was someone on my course who didn't know what a logarithm was ffs.
Reply 1705
Hey all, can someone confirm whether the York masters is a ‘Conversion’ degree or a regular masters please? Cheers
Original post by TheBane
Hey all, can someone confirm whether the York masters is a ‘Conversion’ degree or a regular masters please? Cheers

Yes it is, no programming knowledge is required
Reply 1707
Hello everyone, I showed interest on the Msc CS of Sunderland.
It is the only one that can be done in one year full time.
Basically you have 2 modules per session, and you are expected to study 38 hours per week.
The thing that to me looks suspicious (despite the quality of the course itself) is that the workload is even more compressed than York.
My concern is: if York for people who don't have CS background requires 30-40 h per week...this Sunderland one may requires 60-80 hours...and that, without tutors, guidance...is going to be too much probably.
Reply 1708
Also...does anyone have any info about the Northumbria one?
It is the only one that is "considered" good and it costs around 9000 (bath, essex, imperial, liverpool etc all cost around 13k).
I am not finding much info about this one
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1709
Original post by elideli
I have applied to the course and was admitted. It's true that the course is running for the first time although York is not a no-name university. Being part of the Russel Group is a good stamp of quality. The CS department seems to be well regarded and has a well-qualified teaching staff. I have researched almost every conversion MSc in CS around the world and couldn't find anything cheaper from a similarly ranked university (I'm Canadian). I know there's going to be downs as a first time running course, but I'm not looking to be handheld, I just want a programme that I'll use as a base to break-in computer science, be aware that in such a programme, you'll have to be independent and learn things on your own to succeed. The good thing is you have tons of resources available online to supplement your learning. What I really also like about the programme as opposed to others is that it's not a watered down version of an MSc CS, you study the real thing like Architecture, Algorithms & Data Structures, Advanced Programming, Machine Learning etc. York is actually delivering the course in partnership with a US company which has a long history of delivering online programmes for other institutions in the US. The online learning platform is Canvas LMS which is one of the best, not your *****y typical Blackboard or Moodle, to me, this makes a difference. The Bath programme looks very good as well but I don't think it's worth 5K more and Bath is not as well regarded as York. Some other online programmes I have looked at are Northumbria, Huddersfield, Liverpool, Staffordshire, and Aberdeen. I have done a ton of research before pulling the trigger on York, if you have any question let me know otherwise I hope to see you in the online induction :smile:

** I was looking at Research Excellence Framework results and York is on par with Manchester and Edinburgh for the quality of its research in CS.

https://results.ref.ac.uk/(S(fyjw2atnemz4rhyk1e1zytds))/Results/ByUoa/11

Hello Eli! Thank you for your review, it’s been helpful. I was wondering if you could share a little of your experience as I’m currently applying for it, I appreciate some things might have change 4 years after but would be great to have the input of an alumni! Thank you in advance!

Hope this helps

This is why my manager laughs at these master's degrees.
Hey,

So, I did an BSc Computer Science at university and I've been teaching English for a while. I want to study an MSc in Computer Science with AI as I need an MSc to teach at university level.

Two questions:

Does the certificate / transcript indicate this was an online MSc?

Do you think given my background this course meets my requirements to go into teaching?

Part of the reason I'm looking at York is I want to have an MSc from an English university based on research, and I also have financial constraints.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Hope this helps
I applied for Sunderland MSc computer science with data science.

Is it really that bad? I do work in Data Engineering and mostly just want the Cert and Stamp from a uni as I may be moving to Germany which pretty much require a degree if you want a job.

With it only being 12 months and hopefully I get a little knowledge from it, I gathered why not.

I do have the opportunity to do a degree level apprenticeship with work which is 2 years, and I don't have to pay for. I'm nicely paid so it doesn't bother me paying.

My biggest issue is the complaints about work being marked late and administration issues.
Original post by z0mgSoCool
Hi everyone!
Was wondering if anyone has heard of or know of someone who is doing this MSc offered by the University of York and its roughly just over £7000 for the entire course. Its a 2 year part-time MSc which can be extended to a total of 4 years after having spoken with the recruiter. Im really interested in hearing opinions other than the recruiters about the MSc for obvious reasons, and any input would be very much appreciated!
Just a little information, im considering studying it because currently, I dont enjoy my current career and hope to switch to an alternate career. I can say that coding has been quite interesting and stimulating thus far to study through part time online courses, but looking at some of the jobs available for software developers etc , they do prefer a degree in Computer Science although I have noticed this isnt always needed. I guess im more interested in the MSc for sake of completeness in that I hope to have a good foundation in coding. Although im unsure as to whether all the MSc's ive seen will provide the same quality, and if some are better than others.
Thanks!

Hi,

TL;DR don’t join online MSc at York. DON’T.

The course is just a money grab with a ridiculous service. Students are treated like ****, the materials are nonexistent.
They only give you access to the books and tell you which page to read. Video lectures are 10-20 min long per week! Tutors are incompetent and reply with pre-formatted sentences. Proved by students receiving the same identical reply from different tutors to similar questions.
Ask current students what happened during the last Software Engineering exam (Jan 2024). Questions were nonsense and they initially claimed they had been checked by THREE researchers. After all complains they admitted that there were questions that could not be answered.
Their solution? We will mark only those that we consider legit questions! As like that reading illogical questions during a stressful moment like the exam did not affect the capability of answering also the other questions!!! And if you don’t like the outcome, well, they offer to resit!!!!
STAY AWAY FROM THESE ******!!!!

The materials are ridiculously old and completely detached from the current standards in the field. You are expecting 2 specific exams for the custom course and others are just basic things from CS.
Be prepared to not learn anything relevant to the field. No algebra, no discrete maths, no optimisation, nothing that makes you an appealing candidate in the job market. Be prepared to do data analysis with Excel or ridiculous tools like Weka.
And be prepared to get told by the tutors that they cannot explain the meaning of illogical sentences written in the formative exams, because the riddles are part of it. And it’s supposed to be a formative exam!!! You won’t get feedback in time for the formative exams, or it will be broken with no marking and only feedback. The feedback you will receive is just a pre-formatted text with no reference to your work. The tutors will just reply with the link to the contact page of the department like they are just bots.

AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS! Your £ 9000 are much more worthy than this.
Original post by rust_trombone
Hi,
TL;DR don’t join online MSc at York. DON’T.
The course is just a money grab with a ridiculous service. Students are treated like ****, the materials are nonexistent.
They only give you access to the books and tell you which page to read. Video lectures are 10-20 min long per week! Tutors are incompetent and reply with pre-formatted sentences. Proved by students receiving the same identical reply from different tutors to similar questions.
Ask current students what happened during the last Software Engineering exam (Jan 2024). Questions were nonsense and they initially claimed they had been checked by THREE researchers. After all complains they admitted that there were questions that could not be answered.
Their solution? We will mark only those that we consider legit questions! As like that reading illogical questions during a stressful moment like the exam did not affect the capability of answering also the other questions!!! And if you don’t like the outcome, well, they offer to resit!!!!
STAY AWAY FROM THESE ******!!!!
The materials are ridiculously old and completely detached from the current standards in the field. You are expecting 2 specific exams for the custom course and others are just basic things from CS.
Be prepared to not learn anything relevant to the field. No algebra, no discrete maths, no optimisation, nothing that makes you an appealing candidate in the job market. Be prepared to do data analysis with Excel or ridiculous tools like Weka.
And be prepared to get told by the tutors that they cannot explain the meaning of illogical sentences written in the formative exams, because the riddles are part of it. And it’s supposed to be a formative exam!!! You won’t get feedback in time for the formative exams, or it will be broken with no marking and only feedback. The feedback you will receive is just a pre-formatted text with no reference to your work. The tutors will just reply with the link to the contact page of the department like they are just bots.
AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS! Your £ 9000 are much more worthy than this.

As an ex student on this course, I could not agree more - "AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS! Your £ 9000 are much more worthy than this." The second, and final, exam I took with this lot included questions that were never even properly covered in the learning material (if you could call it that).
After I completed 5/11 modules, I decided to quit from the degree.
If you're a student with educational experience in North America and are considering the online program at the University of York, I strongly advise against it. I've been enrolled in the Online Master ofComputer Science for nearly a year now, and it’s been nothing short of a frustrating experience.

Firstly, the module scheduling seems designed to extract money from students. Final grades for the previous module are consistently delayed, supposedly due to "reasons," while the new module’s registration keeps asking your payment as soon as possible. This leaves you in a bind—you're unable toassess your performance in the last module beforecommitting to the next. By the time you receive yourgrades, you're already enrolled in the next moduleand have missed the refund deadline.

Secondly, the grading system is a joke. There have been numerous complaints every time when we got grade release. We mentioned about the unfair evaluation due to unclear criteria or unknown grading criteria before our exam and assignments. However, these complaints are met with dismissive responses from the online support team, insisting that their grading is impartial. In the current module on Software Engineering, there have been two times of delay in publishing final grades, supposedly because the highest grade achieved was 40 out of100, implying that nobody passed the module. Thelack of evidence to support their grading fairness led to these delays.

Thirdly, for those like myself who need to request Repeat Study, the process is equally frustrating. Despite providing documentation of increased workload and seeking support for mental health challenge impacting my studies, the online support team failed to comprehend my circumstances. They rejected my request first, citing reasons such as the timing of my consultation with a psychologist and the delay in addressing workload issues. Even after providing a detailed timeline and supporting evidence, they remained unsympathetic, pointing fingers at me for not taking action sooner.
When I first time saw my Psychologist, she said "It is not late as you are here for asking help." but when I felt better and requested to repeat studying on a previous module, the York online team said "you are not action sooner."
I also attached my manager’s confirmation letter that I was tooling another peer work due to his sudden leave from work.” But the support team mentioned about employment work pressure is not a reason. This is really funny! I chose this program part time because I am working full time job and don’t want to quit work to study full time. If employment is not the reason, then why I choose your online program, why I didn’t apply for full time on campus programme.
It's never too late to reconsider your involvement in this program. And it is never too last to quit from thisprogram as it will not waste more money and time, I cannot emphasize enough how strongly I discourageanyone from enrolling in the University of York online program if you asked my feeling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending