The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Ask a current Southampton student (Q&A)

Hey there all!

My name is Abbey, I'm 20 years old and currently in my second year of an Undergraduate BSc in Education and Psychology at the University of Southampton.

I'm posting this thread here as a place that you can come and ask me questions if you'd like! Can be anything regarding the university itself, certain courses (as I know the website quite well due to being a Student Ambassador for the university) or even just what student life is like!

Not sure if this is allowed so admins/mods feel free to delete if not...
Otherwise, ask away! (Probably best to tag/quote me though as I don't actively check TSR unless I get an email notification!)

:smile::heart:

PS: As previously mentioned, I am a Student Ambassador so I am only allowed to give accurate information (according to the law). If I cannot answer, I can either DM you the relevant place to go and look or quote you with relevant pages on the uni's website!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi,

How easy is it for a student to do their shopping in Southampton? I visited the campus last week but didn't see a major supermarket nearby - I know there are smaller shops around, and a Sainsbury's down the road but is it too far?

Thank you.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Criminalis
Hi,

How easy is it for a student to do their shopping in Southampton? I visited the campus last week but didn't see a major supermarket nearby - I know there are smaller shops around, and a Sainsbury's down the road but is it too far?

Thank you.

It’s not too bad. I’m a first year undergrad - if you live in Mayflower halls, there’s a big Asda near West Quay which is about a 5 minute walk. Glen Eyre doesn’t have a big supermarket as close as that but there is a Sainsbury’s in Portswood and that same Asda which are both about 20 minutes on the bus. I’m in Glen and sometimes it is a hassle but often people get groceries delivered
Reply 3
Original post by Criminalis
Hi,

Thank you.

If you go in halls in your first year, you'll receive a free bus pass. I, personally, shop at ASDA (due to it being relatively cheap) which is right in the city centre by West Quay. It is a bit far but the U1C (from Highfield Interchange) drops you right outside there.

Alternatively, you can get the U2C (from Glen Eyre), get off at Southampton Central station, cross the railway bridge and the road, walk towards John Lewis but go up through the Marlands car park which is just before you get to John Lewis. It has a lift that takes you right up to where ASDA is (floor 10). << This is my preferred method.

If you're looking to shop as closely to halls of residence as possible, Sainsbury's in Portswood is the closest big supermarket to Highfield Campus. It genuinely depends on what halls of residence you get allocated though but most supermarkets are either accessible by foot or bus.

Your welcome guides when you arrive should have this info though! Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, do new students resume at the same time as returning students, because for one of the courses, the start date is 1 Sep. Does this remain the same each year for the course or will it change as you move up in years?
Reply 5
Original post by Osase
Hey, do new students resume at the same time as returning students, because for one of the courses, the start date is 1 Sep. Does this remain the same each year for the course or will it change as you move up in years?

I’m not 100% certain I’m afraid but I would imagine that yes, all courses resume at the same date. Most courses actually start on the 1st October (or the nearest Monday to this date) though. I’m not sure why UCAS displays 1st Sept.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending