The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Notthingham vs Southampton (Psychology Degree)

Hi!
I have to decide between Notthingham and Southampton Uni as my insurance choice.
I have a better feel for Notthingham as a place but Souhampon is higher in several rankings and the course is a bit closer to my preferences.

Any thoughts and experience would be great, thank you!
Laura
Original post by Laura SW
Hi!
I have to decide between Notthingham and Southampton Uni as my insurance choice.
I have a better feel for Notthingham as a place but Souhampon is higher in several rankings and the course is a bit closer to my preferences.

Laura

Hey!
Great to hear that you're considering the University of Southampton for your psychology degree. As a current student ambassador, I can tell you that Southampton is an amazing place to study psychology. University of Southampton is actually in the top 100 for Psychology in the QS World Rankings by Subject 2022, which is really impressive. Plus, it is one of the top 5 Russell Group universities for psychology in 2022, so you'll be studying at one of the best institutions in the UK.

One of the things I love most about Southampton is the quality of teaching. The university fantastic staff who are not only experts in their fields but also really great at explaining things. In fact, 90% of students agreed that the staff is good at explaining things in the National Student Survey 2021. So you'll be in really good hands when it comes to learning and developing your skills.

Southampton is also a great place to live and study. It has a really active student community, with plenty of clubs, societies, and events to get involved in. And the city itself is full of history, culture, and great places to eat and socialize.

Overall, I think Southampton would be a fantastic choice for your insurance choice. The university has an amazing psychology course, excellent teaching staff, and a vibrant student community. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help with!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
(edited 12 months ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Laura SW
Hi!

Laura

Hi @Laura SW!

I just thought I'd give some advice on choosing between two universities, as it's always a difficult prospect! When choosing to come to Lancaster, an important thing that swayed my opinion was visiting the university on an open day. You may have already done this for both Nottingham & Southampton, but if you haven't yet, and you're able to, I would really recommend visiting the universities just so that you can get a feel for the campus, and see if you can imagine yourself there!

Looking at the courses that are offered is also really important - which you've said that you've already done! It's good to find something close to your preferences - it made me quite excited knowing that certain modules were coming up that I knew that I was going to enjoy!

The main thing is to go with your heart - maybe making a list of pros and cons about each university might help!

Good luck in deciding between Nottingham and Southampton!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
im at southampton for psych and do not advise coming here, my insurance was nottingham and i should have gone there
Reply 4
Original post by saskiahdltea
im at southampton for psych and do not advise coming here, my insurance was nottingham and i should have gone there

sorry to ask, but are you the girl on YouTube ? I really like your videos !
Would you recommend Southampton for other subjects ? I’m planning on studying engineering , do you know anything about the engineering department?
Reply 5
Original post by saskiahdltea

Thanks a lot for your reply. Can you elaborate? why exactly would you not recommend Southampton?
Original post by Anonymous
sorry to ask, but are you the girl on YouTube ? I really like your videos !
Would you recommend Southampton for other subjects ? I’m planning on studying engineering , do you know anything about the engineering department?

hah yes i am the youtube girl! i've only heard one bad thing about engineering and it was the the dissertation process was a bit weird, like people got allocated projects that had nothing to do with their interests!
(Original post by Laura SW)Thanks a lot for your reply. Can you elaborate? why exactly would you not recommend Southampton?

god sorry never saw this! i have a whole video on all my issues with the uni:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmbPagVB1Fc&list=UULF9Vt_sLobz8qQ0u-NEOrGxw&index=1

but also happy to answer q's on IG as its easier (@saskiahdlt)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending