The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ethnic minorities at St Andrews

Hi!

I recently got an offer to study English at the University of St Andrews and whilst I have heard it ranks very highly for English, I am not sure about whether I would fit in. I go to a state school and I am from an Asian ethnic minority group and most definitely do not fit the stereotypical 'St Andrews applicant' in terms of family income etc. Although I have tried not to give in to the stereotypes of the uni and definitely understand how amazing it would be to study there, I am afraid I would not fit in. Also, I feel many other universities stress the importance of diversity through their websites and promotional stuff but I just don't see that with St Andrews :/ BUT PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG. I may have just missed the whole diversity thing.

Thank you.
Reply 1
youll be fine
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I'm from an Asian ethnic minority group and low income family and the only thing I can say from experience is that you have nothing to worry about :nah: The student body is extremely diverse (probably one of the most diverse of UK universities, just because internationals make up such a large proportion of students) and cultures are celebrated through many different societies and events etc. In fact, there are sooo many other Asians here so St Andrews is definitely a university you might want to consider if you're worried about not blending in :colondollar: I really think the only main reason why St Andrews has the posh/wealthy kind of stereotype is because Will and Kate went here, and it's also the home of golf - other than that, I honestly haven't come across anyone who fits that image :s-smilie: People who fit that stereotype probably stick to their own groups in their own mansions anyway :dontknow:
I'm looking at my son's hall photograph, very diverse group of young people, all sizes, shapes, ethnicities and styles. You will not stand out! Just avoid joining the Polo club or the Student Conservatives and you won't feel weird!
I fully understand where you’re coming. I’m of African origin and I’ve also received an offer from St. Andrews. I love the course I applied for at St. Andrews however I’m worried about fitting in there.

Original post by thesunsflowers
Hi!

I recently got an offer to study English at the University of St Andrews and whilst I have heard it ranks very highly for English, I am not sure about whether I would fit in. I go to a state school and I am from an Asian ethnic minority group and most definitely do not fit the stereotypical 'St Andrews applicant' in terms of family income etc. Although I have tried not to give in to the stereotypes of the uni and definitely understand how amazing it would be to study there, I am afraid I would not fit in. Also, I feel many other universities stress the importance of diversity through their websites and promotional stuff but I just don't see that with St Andrews :/ BUT PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG. I may have just missed the whole diversity thing.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest