The Student Room Group

im 15 i dont know what i want to do when im older

I know im still too young to be thinking about this stuff but I need to pick my a levels soon and it really does depend on what career i want to pursue any help

like i know i enjoy writing fiction and i want to publish a book but i dont want to study creative writing because it might not work out i want something else that i enjoy.

i want to try new hobbies any help and tips
Reply 1
Mate I'm 29 and still dont know what I want to do with my life.

Best advice I can give is to take subjects that you enjoy and are good at, the rest will follow.
Original post by GCSEsucks
I know im still too young to be thinking about this stuff but I need to pick my a levels soon and it really does depend on what career i want to pursue any help

like i know i enjoy writing fiction and i want to publish a book but i dont want to study creative writing because it might not work out i want something else that i enjoy.

i want to try new hobbies any help and tips

Hi,

Thanks for your post, it’s great you’re looking for advice about the routes which might be open to you with regards to your career!

The first thing is that you’re never too young to think about what you want to do in the future but it’s certainly not something which should be causing you any stress or worry at this stage!

Many students find themselves in the exact same situation as yourself so you’re certainly not the first to ask these type of questions. Through lower school and your GCSE’s, a lot of the chooses about the subjects you take are made for you by the school, so it’s easy just to go with the flow however, when you get to A-Level’s the responsibility changes to allow you to be a lot more selective about your subjects, which can be a little bit scary!

Molseh makes a very good point when they say ‘take subjects that you enjoy and are good at’ that’s really good advice for a couple of reasons!

Firstly, the more you enjoy a subject, the more you will take it seriously. The more seriously you take a subject, the better you will be at it and the higher your grades will be! You might even be able to see it in the subjects your taking at the moment where there will be classes you look forward to more than others and your attention in those classes will probably be better!

Secondly, it also allows you to stay ‘in love’ with education! Lots of students get forced to do something they don’t enjoy and the whole idea of education gets tainted because of this if you aren’t being forced to take classes you don’t want to do, you’re going to have a much more fun!

One thing you might want to try is having a look at our Explore Careers section of the National Careers Service website it can outline over 800 different careers and hopefully give you a few ideas about directions you can head in! I’ve included the link below:

http://bit.ly/2DkzJq0

You can also speak with our expert advisers for free to get more in-depth advice as well and hopefully feel more confident about making your choices!
http://bit.ly/2GkrcXU

I hope this helps as a starting point but please feel free to get back in touch if there is anything else we can help with!

Good luck!

Tom.

Quick Reply

Latest