The Student Room Group

on a gap year should i retake my maths GCSE for a CS Degree?

im wanting to apply for a CS course with a foundation year as i didnt do a maths A-Level but i got my results this august and did very well so im aiming for some higher Unis that dont require A-level maths. However with it being a degree thats so maths focused i think that i should retake it on my year off i did get a 5 which is below the 6 they all require. does anybody know how i would go about with adding a predicted grade from a tutor to my ucas where the centre is my old sixth-form? or even if this is worth doing at all? many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Sit the November exams, you should get your results in mid January I believe? So it’s before the UCAS deadline
Reply 2
If you dont meet the GCSE Maths requirement you will get an immediate rejection.
and if you struggle with Maths, is CS really a great idea as a degree subject?
Reply 3
Yes. GCSE maths is the bare minimum, without which you will not get accepted.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by leonbbrown
im wanting to apply for a CS course with a foundation year as i didnt do a maths A-Level but i got my results this august and did very well so im aiming for some higher Unis that dont require A-level maths. However with it being a degree thats so maths focused i think that i should retake it on my year off i did get a 5 which is below the 6 they all require. does anybody know how i would go about with adding a predicted grade from a tutor to my ucas where the centre is my old sixth-form? or even if this is worth doing at all? many thanks :smile:

You have to declare the grade 5 on UCAS then add Maths as pending. You will be rejected without a grade 6
Reply 5
Original post by raininq
Sit the November exams, you should get your results in mid January I believe? So it’s before the UCAS deadline

thank you that seems like the best way rather than waiting so long to sit them appreciate it!
Have you considered doing A-Level Maths so that you can apply to Unis that require it(And get preparation for the degree, since it is rather Maths heavy)?
Reply 7
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Have you considered doing A-Level Maths so that you can apply to Unis that require it(And get preparation for the degree, since it is rather Maths heavy)?

yes thats my plan if i cannot enter this year on a foundation course and i can make sure that its the right choice i just didnt have any real guidance when i left secondary, im not too bothered about being slightly older if i can do what i actually want to do. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending