The Student Room Group

BTECS or A LEVELS? (Please help and UNI ADVICE)

Hi, I am in year 12 doing my A Levels; Biology, English Lit and History. Due to having a serious heart operation I had taken 4 months off and now I have to redo the year again in sept 2019 due to missing out a lot of work - which I don't mind. Currently I am not in sixth form right now as my sixth form are really concerned with my health (I had collapsed when I returned to school so they told me to stay at home and recover) so I am at home independently studying at the moment.

During my time off they sent me work to do at home but it was really stressing e out due to the difficulty.I feel like I am not good enough anymore :frown: and I have been really thinking about university and what I want to do later in life. I aspire to be a paediatric nurse :smile: In GCSE I had decent grades but I was kinda disappointed because I knew I could do better - I did better in my mocks! :frown: I do struggle a bit under exam pressure. When I had completed my GCSEs and went to choose my A Levels I was not able to do biology due to not receiving the grade to study it but after negotiating with my head of sixth form she allowed me to do it as I told her I wanted to do something health based.

However I do feel like I am struggling quite a bit with my A levels. Now my head of sixth form wants me to drop Biology and choose sociology instead - which adds onto my stress even more. My family and friends do think I'm capable as I was only in Sixth form for a month before I had my operation. I have a lot of self doubt. I thought about either BTEC health and social Care or Applied Science as a back up if I decided not to continue A Levels when I officially start again in September. I spoke to my aunt who did A Levels and my other aunt who did BTEC (they both have a degree) My aunt who has done A Level advised me to continue with A Levels as she says it'll open more career paths and show unis that I am capable and that she'll help me. My other aunt says that BTECs were far less stressful and if I have a chance to do it I should definitely go for it and she obtained 3 D*s and the uni offered to pay for half her degree!

As you can see I am in quite of a pickle lol. I don't know if I should continue A Levels or move schools and do a BTEC instead. I just want to be able to go uni and become a children's nurse :biggrin: and I don't want to slim my chances when applying for a course :frown: This situation just stresses me out :frown:(((

Thank you for reading!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AJ_02
Hi, I am in year 12 doing my A Levels; Biology, English Lit and History. Due to having a serious heart operation I had taken 4 months off and now I have to redo the year again in sept 2019 due to missing out a lot of work - which I don't mind. Currently I am not in sixth form right now as my sixth form are really concerned with my health (I had collapsed when I returned to school so they told me to stay at home and recover) so I am at home independently studying at the moment.

During my time off they sent me work to do at home but it was really stressing e out due to the difficulty.I feel like I am not good enough anymore :frown: and I have been really thinking about university and what I want to do later in life. I aspire to be a paediatric nurse :smile: In GCSE I had decent grades but I was kinda disappointed because I knew I could do better - I did better in my mocks! :frown: I do struggle a bit under exam pressure. When I had completed my GCSEs and went to choose my A Levels I was not able to do biology due to not receiving the grade to study it but after negotiating with my head of sixth form she allowed me to do it as I told her I wanted to do something health based.

However I do feel like I am struggling quite a bit with my A levels. Now my head of sixth form wants me to drop Biology and choose sociology instead - which adds onto my stress even more. My family and friends do think I'm capable as I was only in Sixth form for a month before I had my operation. I have a lot of self doubt. I thought about either BTEC health and social Care or Applied Science as a back up if I decided not to continue A Levels when I officially start again in September. I spoke to my aunt who did A Levels and my other aunt who did BTEC (they both have a degree) My aunt who has done A Level advised me to continue with A Levels as she says it'll open more career paths and show unis that I am capable and that she'll help me. My other aunt says that BTECs were far less stressful and if I have a chance to do it I should definitely go for it and she obtained 3 D*s and the uni offered to pay for half her degree!

As you can see I am in quite of a pickle lol. I don't know if I should continue A Levels or move schools and do a BTEC instead. I just want to be able to go uni and become a children's nurse :biggrin: and I don't want to slim my chances when applying for a course :frown: This situation just stresses me out :frown:(((

Thank you for reading!

Many nursing universities would accept the health and social care BTEC if you decided to go down that route. You've had a bad stretch with your health it seems, but that doesn't mean you aren't academically capable.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Many nursing universities would accept the health and social care BTEC if you decided to go down that route. You've had a bad stretch with your health it seems, but that doesn't mean you aren't academically capable.

Thank you for reading and replying back :h: This has helped me calm down lol and I feel motivated again, a feeling that I lost for a while. :u:

Quick Reply

Latest