The Student Room Group

Is it true that BTEC’s struggle at university?

I’m doing an BTEC applied science (consists of coursework & exams).

I want to study pharmacy at university.

I’ve heard that BTEC’s students are more likely to fail at university.

Is this true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
https://www.thegryphon.co.uk/2020/02/17/drop-out-rates-higher-for-minority-students/ says that at Leeds those with solely BTEC qualifications were 5 times more likely to drop out than those with A levels.

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2017/nov/29/students-with-btecs-do-worse-at-university-heres-how-we-close-the-gap says BTEC students were more than twice as likely to drop out.
Reply 2
0AE818EE-AB41-4FFA-8554-ACB29A9C5EDE.jpg.jpeg
Reply 3
The second was published in 2017 by then there was only courseworks that were BTEC’s.
Reply 4
Original post by Catttttt
0AE818EE-AB41-4FFA-8554-ACB29A9C5EDE.jpg.jpeg

That is all anecdotal, whereas the links I have posted have been based on quantitative data. However, this does not mean that an individual person may not conform to the overall trend.
(edited 2 years ago)
From your threads I see you’re probably looking to go with btec over a levels? Correct?
Reply 6
Would it be impossible to do well at university? Because I think for each course is different. I mean why would BTEC’s be created if it didn’t give access to people to go to universities.
Would it be impossible to do well at university? Because I think for each course is different. I mean why would BTEC’s be created if it didn’t give access to people to go to universities.

Please don't feel disheartened by these statistics.
Statistics are useful when thinking about groups of people.

However they can't really tell us anything about individual people. They don't factor you in.
Reply 8
COVID did really mess up things for me. As I wanted to study A-levels. But didn’t managed to get the grades my sixth forms wanted. So, they told me how BTEC’s applied science students are accepted in university. As I took their advice. But it seems that they were wrong.

Is this true?

Statistically it's true as far as I know.

This isn't to say that's because BTEC students are less academically inclined. I think it's likely because A-level students have a smoother transition.

A-levels are all about revision and exams. BTEC are all about research, coursework, practical stuff.

Uni is a mix of both but you're more likely to fail because you don't know how to study efficiently and fail a couple exams, than you are because you totally flunked some coursework, even if it's worth a chunky bit of your grade.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're a person who already has an idea about how to revise and answer exam questions, you'll be fine. If not, you have 2 years to learn.
Reply 10
Oh, I see. I’m doing exams in my course. So, I’m doing biology, chemistry, & physics exams.

Is this true?

If you have a negative mindset then that's on you but ik many btec students who are on to master degrees now in engineering, law, marketing and pharmacy(haven't spoke to the pharmacy guy in a few weeks guess I'll consider him a friend but I believe his going to do uni he got a 2.1 which is good.) So all depends on you. Tbh I get your post I'm nervous as well I'm a btec student but I guess I'm use to coursework and exams as that was embedded on my course again depends on you. I typically don't look at stats due to how negative in nature they are but my brother did a btec he said at uni lots of a level people dropped out(this was 2019) all depends on dedication
COVID did really mess up things for me. As I wanted to study A-levels. But didn’t managed to get the grades my sixth forms wanted. So, they told me how BTEC’s applied science students are accepted in university. As I took their advice. But it seems that they were wrong.

How are they wrong?
Reply 13
I have 4 units that are coursework & 2 units that are exams
Reply 14
Wrong as in they didn’t tell me how limiting BTECs are. I didn’t know about these kind of qualifications. My school weren’t very well in explaining about the different qualifications. Basically I’m in the first in my family to go to university in this country.
Reply 15
Also, I don’t see a lot of people of social media platforms that did BTEC’s & is studying pharmacy.
Also, I don’t see a lot of people of social media platforms that did BTEC’s & is studying pharmacy.

Your mindset is negative
Reply 17
But I haven’t met anyone that has a BTEC
(edited 2 years ago)
But I haven’t met anyone that has a BTEC

Smh
Reply 19
It’s very expensive to do A-levels privately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending