The Student Room Group

Should I have a break ?

Hi guys,

I’ve been revising my notes since June last year for GCSEs.

I’ve gone over some sets probably 4 times in detail, but I’m starting to get obsessed over the tiniest of words or phrases and it’s absolutely draining me. I’m severely paranoid that I’ll lose marks over these words and this may cost me missing grade 9s.

I also worry I won’t remember the information that is currently very fresh in my head by the summer, if I have a break. I don’t want to just unwind now when exam season is imminent if you get me, so I lose all my progress of where I’m at currently.

Do you think I should basically just revise practise Questions now entirely, as opposed to going over the same flashcards again and again?

I really need some advice. Thanks for your time :smile: have a great day.
please don't burn out! not this close to exams!
im sure you won't lose your progress, the repetitive recall will have stuck into your head by how.
take a day off, your mind and body will thank you, it will make you feel more motivated to continue and refreshed, less groggy
exam practice is now key; you clearly know the content inside and out, but if this doesn't translate to marks on a paper then it'll all be for nothing. use past papers/specimens to see where you have gaps in your knowledge and revise from there.
no point doing mindless revision, you have the advantage now to use your time to target areas you struggle with
exam practice
Reply 3
Original post by mez_merising
please don't burn out! not this close to exams!
im sure you won't lose your progress, the repetitive recall will have stuck into your head by how.
take a day off, your mind and body will thank you, it will make you feel more motivated to continue and refreshed, less groggy
exam practice is now key; you clearly know the content inside and out, but if this doesn't translate to marks on a paper then it'll all be for nothing. use past papers/specimens to see where you have gaps in your knowledge and revise from there.
no point doing mindless revision, you have the advantage now to use your time to target areas you struggle with

Thank you so much. I really needed to here this.
my gcses are in 2 months... i should probably start revising
Reply 5
Original post by susu6679
my gcses are in 2 months... i should probably start revising

TBH you will be fine. You can 110% still get 7s and 8s in everything if you start now, and maybe even 9s if you do practise Qs too.

Revision is everyone to their own. I just take a long time to take in information. Many people who got 9s started 2 months before, like Ellie-Jean on YouTube. Look up her 9 week revision plan. Really helpful.
Original post by lewis.h
TBH you will be fine. You can 110% still get 7s and 8s in everything if you start now, and maybe even 9s if you do practise Qs too.

Revision is everyone to their own. I just take a long time to take in information. Many people who got 9s started 2 months before, like Ellie-Jean on YouTube. Look up her 9 week revision plan. Really helpful.

mhm, i had some exams in year 10 and i revised 2 weeks before and got a*/a except in welsh :smile: i'll check out ellie-jean on youtube!
Original post by lewis.h

Appearing a tad late both to say bless you for such lovely advice (I'm sure some lurkers have seen it and felt reassured by it) - but also to encourage you to look at what you've just posted.
If others can start now and achieve those grades, and you've been working so hard for such a long time, you can absolutely afford to take the odd break - we still have two months to go so you need to take into account your mind and body. You're clearly very, very clever if you're aiming for 9s, but I'm sure everyone around you wants to ensure you stay healthy and happy during this time.
Best of luck to you with your exams, I'm sure everyone on TSR is cheering you on.
You definitely need to have a break at some point otherwise you'll burn out and if anything that will probably be more detrimental to your grades. A break doesn't need to be anything excessive, just take a day or an afternoon to relax and think about something other than exams.
Reply 9
Original post by maslowsmemes
Appearing a tad late both to say bless you for such lovely advice (I'm sure some lurkers have seen it and felt reassured by it) - but also to encourage you to look at what you've just posted.
If others can start now and achieve those grades, and you've been working so hard for such a long time, you can absolutely afford to take the odd break - we still have two months to go so you need to take into account your mind and body. You're clearly very, very clever if you're aiming for 9s, but I'm sure everyone around you wants to ensure you stay healthy and happy during this time.
Best of luck to you with your exams, I'm sure everyone on TSR is cheering you on.

Thank you !!
Reply 10
Original post by MidgetFever
You definitely need to have a break at some point otherwise you'll burn out and if anything that will probably be more detrimental to your grades. A break doesn't need to be anything excessive, just take a day or an afternoon to relax and think about something other than exams.

Very true.
Original post by lewis.h
Thank you so much. I really needed to here this.

you’re welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest