The Student Room Group

Tesco workers please help

I'm 17 and have been working at Tesco for about 10 months in an express. Recently I learned that during the 4 hour Saturday shifts I had been doing for these 10 months I was allowed a 30 minute break, whereas I had been told that I should have a 15 minute break. I added it up and I will be missing around £400 due to working for 15 minutes a day unpaid. Should I take it up with my manager or is there something I'm missing that justifies the situation?
Reply 1
Yep. You should definitely take it up with him. Imagine if it was the other way around and he caught you stealing that same amount of money from him, he won't take it so lightly or ask for advice before he makes his decision on what to do to you.
Reply 2
Well it all depends on whether your manager is exceptioning the break or not on payroll.

If they are, then they'd of told the system you're only taking a 15min break, so it'll pay you for the other 15.
If not, then it's auto deducting 30mins due to your age, meaning you're missing out on money.

Technically your manager is right though, a 4hr shift does equal a 15min break, but that's based on a colleague over 18yrs old. As you're younger, different break rules apply.

It's news to me that a 17yr old is allowed to work in an Express, in my old one they only employed 18+ due to having to go on tills serving cigs/booze.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LH05
I'm 17 and have been working at Tesco for about 10 months in an express. Recently I learned that during the 4 hour Saturday shifts I had been doing for these 10 months I was allowed a 30 minute break, whereas I had been told that I should have a 15 minute break. I added it up and I will be missing around £400 due to working for 15 minutes a day unpaid. Should I take it up with my manager or is there something I'm missing that justifies the situation?

GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk young-workers
Rest breaks at work: Young workers

Legal breaks time for young staff in Tesco.
Length of shift before any break is deducted Break duration
Less than 4 hour shift No break entitlement
4 5 ¾ hour shift 15 min break
6 7 ¾ hour shift 30 min break (30 60 min break*) continuous or split
8 8 ¾ hour shift 60 min break (30 120 min break*) continuous or split
9 11 ¾ hour shift 90 min break (60 120 min break*) either continuous or split
Default is 60min

Any issues regarding what you have said will have to be taken up with your immediate store manager and if possible your union representative if you are a member.....

Work out how much you are being paid for your monthly contractual hours as you should be getting paid the same rate as all the other staff members in your store.

Tesco express stores can take on young staff members under 18 but if you are working on tills you'll have to get a senior staff member to authorise any alcohol sale's etc.

Team leader and stand in supervisor as required.
Reply 4
Original post by LH05

From whom did you you learn that you are entitled to a 30 minute break? Is it possible that that person is wrong?

As suggested by others on the thread, you need to check your entitlement with the store manager, and with the union rep if you're in the union. Also, does Tesco have a staff handbook? The rules might be detailed there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending