The Student Room Group

Why am I so bad at English?

It’s reallh starting to get me down.

Sure, my GCSEs are in a year, but I’m so bad at English literature and language that I’m not sure what to do. At the moment, I’m getting high 5s/ (very) low 6s and I’m expecting an 8 in each in my GCSEs.

My parents are already up to my neck with this and I’m not sure what to do.

When it comes to analysing (Q3) and evaluating (Q6), I’m sure I do perfectly fine. However, Q8/9 are what always bring me down. I use extensive vocabulary, punctuation etc. But I somehow always do ****.

Does anyone know a good structure/plan for transactional writing that can help me boost my grade?
I’m assuming if your GCSEs are in a year’s time, you’re in year 10? If so, I was in a similar position as you. I wasn’t hitting anywhere near my high expected grades. My best advice is not to stress out about it too much now. Trust me when I say that your grades will improve in time.

The best thing you can do is keep practising those exam questions. Ensure you’re including not only sophisticated vocabulary, but also structural techniques (e.g. circular narrative, short sentences etc.). Also try to think outside of the box in your writing- don’t do the same thing that you know the other candidates will do. The examiner will prefer something that is unusual and stands out in contrast to your peers.

Good luck with your English and trust me, your grades are fine at the moment!
Reply 2
Extensive vocabulary and punctuation are definitely not enough to do well in the transactional writing section of English language paper two (I assume this is with Edexcel). I got full marks in the transactional writing section last year, and I feel that to get the top marks, it takes cogent arguments, an understanding of the form the question is asking for and punctuation/sentence structure used for effect.

There is no sort of structure or plan for transactional writing that I used because of how many different forms there are, and even if there was one, I definitely would not give it to most people. It always seems slightly indolent when people just try and search for structures to abuse to death.

How about practising more at home? That helped me!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
Extensive vocabulary and punctuation are definitely not enough to do well in the transactional writing section of English language paper two (I assume this is with Edexcel). I got full marks in the transactional writing section last year, and I feel that to get the top marks, it takes cogent arguments, an understanding of the form the question is asking for and punctuation/sentence structure used for effect.

There is no sort of structure or plan for transactional writing that I used because of how many different forms there are, and even if there was one, I definitely would not give it to most people. It always seems slightly indolent when people just try and search for structures to abuse to death.

How about practising more at home? That helped me!

Right. I’ll definitely start practising at home.
Reply 4
Original post by ItsTomii
Right. I’ll definitely start practising at home.

Also, if you're in year 10, don't f*cking worry. Please, I was getting 4s in year 10 lmao.
Reply 5
Original post by Aimee_98
1) zoom in/ zoom out on the quote
2) use the terminology/ method
3) always try to include two quotes at least that are similar in each paragraph
4) give the effect it has on the different audiences or the reader
5) always link back to the question
6) watch YouTube videos for analysis

Thus advice is useless in this case.
(edited 5 years ago)
Unlike most subjects, English is entirely skills. You can't learn methods (as such) as in Maths, you can't learn dates and facts like history, you can't learn content like Computing or Sciences. I was at a 5 or 6 in year 10, got 8 in my mock and predicted 8/9. Chill at this stage.
Original post by ItsTomii
It’s reallh starting to get me down.

Sure, my GCSEs are in a year, but I’m so bad at English literature and language that I’m not sure what to do. At the moment, I’m getting high 5s/ (very) low 6s and I’m expecting an 8 in each in my GCSEs.

My parents are already up to my neck with this and I’m not sure what to do.

When it comes to analysing (Q3) and evaluating (Q6), I’m sure I do perfectly fine. However, Q8/9 are what always bring me down. I use extensive vocabulary, punctuation etc. But I somehow always do ****.

Does anyone know a good structure/plan for transactional writing that can help me boost my grade?

Quick Reply

Latest