The Student Room Group

Physics math Fm and English for CS degree at Cambridge and Imperial

I am doing Physics, Math, Further Math and English Language A levels. I want to do computer science at university which is why I took the physics math and FM combination. I hadn't done computing o level so it looked like a bad idea to do the a level. And universities don't even have that as a requirement. I also didn't choose to do chemistry because I didn't wanna do another science when I wouldn't exactly need it. I enjoyed English language hence I took it, although English literature was more preferred by universities. But as far as I've known English language is disadvantageous for some universities as the third a level or if it's your native language. For me, it's the fourth a level and it's not my native language.

I got A*A*A*A prediction. I have also done various online courses on computer science. And I know Python and a little bit of JavaScript. I know coding isn't a prerequisite but I'm just expressing my position as an applicant. I plan on applying to Cambridge and Imperial for Computer Science. I do meet the requirements for A level subjects since top universities would want three academically rigorous a levels. So I'm thinking if that English language looks a bit too strange and incompetent amongst other competitive applicants when I already got physics math and further math.
Reply 1
When it comes down to Universities like Cambridge, entrance exam, interview performance and the actual grades you get are much more important than what they think about doing a humanities subject with 3 very good relevant subjects. Also if through your personal statement and interview you were able to show why you particularly wanted to do Computer Science rather than say just maths or physics then that is beneficial

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending