The Student Room Group

Curing HIV?

If anyone’s heard the astounding news story of a man who received a bone marrow transplant for cancer treatment and is now cured of HIV, you have to agree, ITS AMAZING!

I have a question, how do I get into a career where I research these things, the genetic side of things?

I am going to be studying biochemistry in university next year (results depending) and I’m curious as to how I get into the industry, do I need a postgrad or a PHD? Should I be studying something different? Are there any companies in Belfast/NI that I could do my work placement with?
Original post by EffyApples
If anyone’s heard the astounding news story of a man who received a bone marrow transplant for cancer treatment and is now cured of HIV, you have to agree, ITS AMAZING!

I have a question, how do I get into a career where I research these things, the genetic side of things?

I am going to be studying biochemistry in university next year (results depending) and I’m curious as to how I get into the industry, do I need a postgrad or a PHD? Should I be studying something different? Are there any companies in Belfast/NI that I could do my work placement with?

Hi @QMUL

Please can you advise on the academic route? :h:

@Royal Society of Chemistry do you have any suggestions around career path?
Hi there,

So there are a number of routes.

For clinical research many people start doing medicine and then move into clinical research to test these treatments.

For understanding of the mechanisms for how these treatments can be developed, biochemistry can be a good start.

Other options include molecular biology, biotechnology and genetic routes as well. The route from researching it in the laboratory to patient care is long and offers a number of career options the ABPI website gives more info on these sort of career routes. http://careers.abpi.org.uk/getting-into-the-industry/Pages/default.aspx

If you want to be doing the research early on in the process than a degree and PhD in a related subject is probably the best way forward.
This website gives a good overview of life sciences companies in NI https://www.investni.com/invest-in-northern-ireland/life-health-sciences.html

Hope this helps.

Jack
Just tagging you in so you see the above response from @Royal Society of Chemistry :smile:

Original post by EffyApples

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending