The Student Room Group

Help with skin care

So I've been using benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin for about 3 years now. In the morning I use sunscreen but at night I use my benzoyl peroxide and nothing else. If about 2 hours before applying Benzoyl peroxide I use effaclar duo plus to moisturise my face and then wash it off before applying Benzoyl peroxide 2 hours later is that ok. Will I get the benefits of the effaclar duo like the salicylic acid and blemish mark removal?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been using benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin for about 3 years now. In the morning I use sunscreen but at night I use my benzoyl peroxide and nothing else. If about 2 hours before applying Benzoyl peroxide I use effaclar duo plus to moisturise my face and then wash it off before applying Benzoyl peroxide 2 hours later is that ok. Will I get the benefits of the effaclar duo like the salicylic acid and blemish mark removal?

I'm assuming you're using these for acne?
The only actual 'cure' for acne that exists is isotretinoin (roaccutane).

Isotretinoin reduces sebum production, the root cause of acne.
Benzyl peroxide etc kill some of the bacteria, though the bacteria will return since these topical treatments do not effect sebum production
Reply 2
Original post by mathperson
I'm assuming you're using these for acne?
The only actual 'cure' for acne that exists is isotretinoin (roaccutane).

Isotretinoin reduces sebum production, the root cause of acne.
Benzyl peroxide etc kill some of the bacteria, though the bacteria will return since these topical treatments do not effect sebum production

I was prescribed benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin by my GP can u plz tell me more about isotretinoin what is it does it have side effects?
Reply 3
I was prescribed benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin by my GP can u plz tell me more about isotretinoin what is it does it have side effects?

Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin both operate on the basis of killing bacteria responsible for acne.
Peroxide also temporarily dries the skin, but neither reduce sebum production to normal levels.

Isotretinoin is the only acne treatment currently available that addresses the root cause of acne - hyperactive sebaceous glands.

I was on isotretinoin a number of years ago and it cleared my skin up completely. It cured my acne.
There are side effects: dry skin in particular and I also experienced back aches but that's not common I don't think.

Here's the wiki page:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin

I'd definitely encourage you to do some research.

And btw: GPs can be notorious for fobbing off people seeking treatment for acne. Isotretinoin can only be prescribed by a consultant dermatologist, not a GP, and GPs are often hesitant to refer patients because referrals cost their practice.
Reply 4
Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin both operate on the basis of killing bacteria responsible for acne.
Peroxide also temporarily dries the skin, but neither reduce sebum production to normal levels.

Isotretinoin is the only acne treatment currently available that addresses the root cause of acne - hyperactive sebaceous glands.

I was on isotretinoin a number of years ago and it cleared my skin up completely. It cured my acne.
There are side effects: dry skin in particular and I also experienced back aches but that's not common I don't think.

Here's the wiki page:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin

I'd definitely encourage you to do some research.

And btw: GPs can be notorious for fobbing off people seeking treatment for acne. Isotretinoin can only be prescribed by a consultant dermatologist, not a GP, and GPs are often hesitant to refer patients because referrals cost their practice.

Is it safe to use though is there any side effects and does it permanently cure it do u have to take it again?
Reply 5
Is it safe to use though is there any side effects and does it permanently cure it do u have to take it again?

Yes it's safe. It's a medication.
Most people it cures permanently.
Reply 6
Yes it's safe. It's a medication.
Most people it cures permanently.

Really because I hard it's really strong and causes liver damage etc
Reply 7
Really because I hard it's really strong and causes liver damage etc

You are monitored through blood tests during treatment.
Reply 8
I would suggest using tea tree oil , tea tree wipes , a rose water cleanser / mist and rose water toner.

I use to get acne bad as a late teen ,I tried every spot treatment and brand possible nothing else worked for me other than tea tree oil and rose water

Quick Reply

Latest