The Student Room Group

programming languages seletec unis

So as I am looking to do computer science in university. I have been trying to find what programming languages we are taught and in a bunch of unis I am interested in. Most of the unis dont even say what programming languages are taught and I am really curious. The unis I am looking at are hertfordshire, greenwich, kingston, goldsmith and westminisiter. Most just say advanced programming but thats it. Would be interested what language we learn as it could widen my job opportunities after uni. Need help finding that info or if someone has done that course at one of those unis please tell me what languages you learn.
Original post by SimpleButYetMad
So as I am looking to do computer science in university. I have been trying to find what programming languages we are taught and in a bunch of unis I am interested in. Most of the unis dont even say what programming languages are taught and I am really curious. The unis I am looking at are hertfordshire, greenwich, kingston, goldsmith and westminisiter. Most just say advanced programming but thats it. Would be interested what language we learn as it could widen my job opportunities after uni. Need help finding that info or if someone has done that course at one of those unis please tell me what languages you learn.

Best you contact them directly and ask.

I'll tag the unis which have active reps on this forum and hopefully they can find out for you

@University of Hertfordshire @Kingston University @University of Westminster@Goldsmiths, University of London

To be honest, no university is going to teach you a language well enough for you to get a job. Most of your programming skills will be developed in your own time through personal projects.
I mean like how some unis may teach c# while others wont. Im interested in learning c language as it opens more fields for me. I know I will have to put time in to improve my knowledge and im up for that. Thanks!
Original post by Blue_Cow
Best you contact them directly and ask.

I'll tag the unis which have active reps on this forum and hopefully they can find out for you

@University of Hertfordshire @Kingston University @University of Westminster@Goldsmiths, University of London

To be honest, no university is going to teach you a language well enough for you to get a job. Most of your programming skills will be developed in your own time through personal projects.

It's great to see you're thinking of Kingston for your degree. unfortunately I'm a law student and won't be able to answer your question immediately. I will however speak to a programming student and will let you know which type of programming is taught here at Kingston Uni.

- KU rep and 2nd year Law Student
Original post by Kingston University
It's great to see you're thinking of Kingston for your degree. unfortunately I'm a law student and won't be able to answer your question immediately. I will however speak to a programming student and will let you know which type of programming is taught here at Kingston Uni.

Thanks, appreciate it
Hi there

I have just checked with the Computing course team here at Westminster and they have confirmed the following:

The programme languages you will be taught are:

Python, Java, C#. Then depending on options C,C++, Swift, Android (Java).

Core Scripting languages are:
php
Javascript

Please get in touch with us again if you require further clarification.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Thanks appreciate it!
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi there

I have just checked with the Computing course team here at Westminster and they have confirmed the following:

The programme languages you will be taught are:

Python, Java, C#. Then depending on options C,C++, Swift, Android (Java).

Core Scripting languages are:
php
Javascript

Please get in touch with us again if you require further clarification.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
@Kingston University Hi, have you found out what coding languages you are taught in kingston uni for cs?

Hey,

Thanks for your interest in Goldsmiths University.

You'll be taught a range of programming languages during your 3 years of study.

1st Year: JavaScript, HTML5, CSS3 & SQL

2nd Year: Java, C++, SQL

3rd Year: All of the above, as this will depend on optional modules chosen

Whilst the programming languages mentioned above are deemed the core fundamentals, academics at the university will allow you to complete assignments through other scripting languages as well, if relevant.

I hope all the information above is useful. Should you have further queries please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Aaron :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
You don't need to learn programming languages , you need to learn how to program. If you are a beginner start with something easy like Python, otherwise I would recommend Java as the majority of Uni's use it and there are plenty or resources online.
I hear what you mean and Iv taken in the fact that I have to spend time self learning and teaching myself how to program. Iv already started trying to learn and I finish sixth form in 2019. My point was that how careers or jobs like an applicant to know a certain language. I was basically checking out the most wanted languages and was checking what unis teach them. Was trying to widen my job opportunities after I finish uni. Im really keen to widen my knowledge and learn as many langauges as I can in the future and I understand that uni is like a stepping stone and that I will have to put time and effort in. Thanks for wakin me up tho ima

(Original post by Acsel)
I think you've slightly missed Blue_Cow's point here. Specifically the part about how most of the learning is done in your own time.

A single uni module should take 200 hours. Let's be optimistic and say you spend the full 200 hours on a programming module, for which half that time is actually spent programming. So 100 hours for a module. To master a skill, it's said you have to put 10,000 hours in. Granted you don't need to master programming to get a job, but those 100 hours equate to a mere 1%. In reality, you'll probably be spending less time on your modules, and a lot of the stuff you learn is mostly transferable knowledge (what's a variable, what's a loop, etc.). The actual "learning of a language" part is tiny.

You should not be choosing a uni based purely on what language they teach you. If you want to learn a C based language, you will need to be doing that in your own time. Even if it's covered in the degree, you need to be putting in a lot of your own hours. Also worth noting, C doesn't inherently improve job prospects. It makes you more useful in C jobs, but there are a number of other valuable languages. Even if a uni isn't teaching a C language, they're probably teaching a language that holds value like Python or Java. You won't be taught random obscure languages and the skills you do learn are transferable. In most cases the language you learn doesn't matter, because the programming skills transfer between languages.
@Kingston University Hi, have you found out what coding languages you are taught in kingston uni for cs?

Unfortunately not as yet, but the request has already been sent in. Hopefully we should have some information for you soon.

Thanks for being so patient.

@SimpleButYetMad

We've got an answer for you from one of our academics !! 🎉

"We teach using a number of different languages using Paul's award-winning*nooblab.com.

In the final year, students are using Java, c# and Object-oriented PHP to make a several different applications (including web applications).*There is also a chance to use python on the Raspberry Pi, and last but not least the final year project, for which the student decides which language to use!"

I hope this answers your question and you're pleased to know C# is included!

- KU rep and 2nd year Law
At Greenwich: first year , we do Python, Java as separate modules, and C and Assembly, a bit of Unix scripting and a bit of SQL as part of other modules. Second year, apart from JavaScript, i am not sure just yet. Depends highly on the course option.
Original post by Irene1990
At Greenwich: first year , we do Python, Java as separate modules, and C and Assembly, a bit of Unix scripting and a bit of SQL as part of other modules. Second year, apart from JavaScript, i am not sure just yet. Depends highly on the course option.

Thanks very much for your info @Irene1990!

The Greenwich Computer Science BSc Hons is designed to expose you to the different paradigms of programming, building confidence in your ability to learn and take-on new programming languages - the aim is to "learn how to learn" new languages, as we believe that as a polyglot software developer you will broaden your employability prospects.

You can also view each module summary on our website for further info.

Hope that helps @SimpleButYetMad :smile:

Tara

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending