The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Living in London (with anxiety!!!) For University

I'm starting to become very interested in London universities to study Mathematics and Statistics. However, with a history of mental health issues including chronic anxiety, I wonder whether London is the best environment for me to study in.

I know that it comes down to what I think suits me best but some opinions would be very much appreciated. Has anyone ever lived in London with anxiety? Will it ruin my university experience? Is it possible to overcome my anxieties about being in such a busy city?

I'd love to apply to Imperial College London later this year... I think I could do it academically and I am slowly falling in love with the idea of a STEM based university. I just don't want the location to hold me back! Any advice?
Four words for you: "can you afford it"
If not the student accommodation, maybe the flatsharing + a long commute will be just a tiny bit cheaper :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by hello_shawn
Four words for you: "can you afford it"
If not the student accommodation, maybe the flatsharing + a long commute will be just a tiny bit cheaper :smile:

I am incredibly (incredibly!) lucky that I don't need to worry about money when it comes to university. I realise I am very fortunate in this regard, though of course my parents would rather I chose the cheaper option 😂
I've seen people mention how living in university accommodation/London helped their anxiety.
I can't speak about what accommodation would be like but I don't think I'd be able to manage it.
I suffer from social anxiety and have applied to Imperial (start in October hopefully!). Commuting to London every morning and dealing with the hordes of people will be difficult for me but it will help me in the long run, mentally and academically for studying at such a good university.
I'm normally taken aback by the scenery and because it's so busy no one really notices you unless you're a Victoria Secret model.
Also, if you do apply to Imperial, especially for Mathematics, you'd probably come across a fair no. of people that are socially awkward/anxious as well.
It really depends on how you feel when you get there, you can go to open days, applicant days (if you're offered a place) or just get to London and take a look yourself. Only you know what your anxiety is like and what you can manage, so make sure you get an idea.
Original post by justsomeguy17
I've seen people mention how living in university accommodation/London helped their anxiety.
I can't speak about what accommodation would be like but I don't think I'd be able to manage it.
I suffer from social anxiety and have applied to Imperial (start in October hopefully!). Commuting to London every morning and dealing with the hordes of people will be difficult for me but it will help me in the long run, mentally and academically for studying at such a good university.
I'm normally taken aback by the scenery and because it's so busy no one really notices you unless you're a Victoria Secret model.
Also, if you do apply to Imperial, especially for Mathematics, you'd probably come across a fair no. of people that are socially awkward/anxious as well.
It really depends on how you feel when you get there, you can go to open days, applicant days (if you're offered a place) or just get to London and take a look yourself. Only you know what your anxiety is like and what you can manage, so make sure you get an idea.

Thank you so much this is incredibly useful! I'll make sure I visit - let me know how you get on when you start later this year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending