The Student Room Group

Latymer vs Ashmole

I have now gotten an offer from latymer sixth form, and wasnt really expecting to. Now I have to make a decision between staying at my current school (Ashmole) or moving to a selective school( Latymer). I have heard both good things and bad things about latymer and would be very nervous to go to a mee school not knowing anyone. Can anyone give me some subjective advice cos all my friends and family are biased and are being really unhelpful

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I go to Latymer and honestly (from experience) I do think it’s a great school in all aspects especially maths and music. What subjects are you planning on studying? I feel like that makes a huge difference tbhh
Reply 2
Maths
Biology
Economics
I'm on the waiting list for physics as I changed it afterwards
Original post by jesss221
Hey, I go to Latymer and honestly (from experience) I do think it’s a great school in all aspects especially maths and music. What subjects are you planning on studying? I feel like that makes a huge difference tbhh
Original post by stephsmhb
Maths
Biology
Economics
I'm on the waiting list for physics as I changed it afterwards

bro if ur doing maths and science, latymer is rlly good for that. Choose wisely but just know it is rlly good for that kinda stuff :smile:)
Reply 4
Okay thanks
Original post by jesss221
bro if ur doing maths and science, latymer is rlly good for that. Choose wisely but just know it is rlly good for that kinda stuff :smile:)
where did you end up going?
I have now gotten an offer from latymer sixth form, and wasnt really expecting to. Now I have to make a decision between staying at my current school (Ashmole) or moving to a selective school( Latymer). I have heard both good things and bad things about latymer and would be very nervous to go to a mee school not knowing anyone. Can anyone give me some subjective advice cos all my friends and family are biased and are being really unhelpful

Okay thanks
Reply 7
Original post by melmel2345

latymer
latymer

Are you happy at latymer? What extra - curricular do they offer? Also do they do revision classes? Is it more independent working or is there a support system?
Reply 9
Are you happy at latymer? What extra - curricular do they offer? Also do they do revision classes? Is it more independent working or is there a support system?

They offer loads of extra curricular, too many for me to name, is there anything in particular you are interested in? Revision classes differs from subject to subject but every teacher I've had has been willing to give up time either at lunch or after school to give you extra help if need be. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions 😊
They offer loads of extra curricular, too many for me to name, is there anything in particular you are interested in? Revision classes differs from subject to subject but every teacher I've had has been willing to give up time either at lunch or after school to give you extra help if need be. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions 😊

I’m planning to study medicine at university or maybe medical engineering. I’m currently studying Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I’m just looking for anything that will look good on my personal statement. Are they helpful with Oxbridge applications? And i’m so sorry for bothering you
Reply 11
I’m planning to study medicine at university or maybe medical engineering. I’m currently studying Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I’m just looking for anything that will look good on my personal statement. Are they helpful with Oxbridge applications? And i’m so sorry for bothering you

It's no problem. And yes they are helpful with oxbridge statements. They held many events throughout the year giving you information and tips and stuff. Medicine and engineering are the 2 most common degrees at latymer, at least for my year. So you would have plenty of support with that
It's no problem. And yes they are helpful with oxbridge statements. They held many events throughout the year giving you information and tips and stuff. Medicine and engineering are the 2 most common degrees at latymer, at least for my year. So you would have plenty of support with that

Do you know how many people got into Oxbridge this year? And were you happy with your decision with going to Latymer rather than staying at Ashmole?

alsoo, what made you want to go to latymer than to stay at ashmole? and do you regret it? also my situation at the moment is that at ashmole i’ve been offered: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. At Latymer: Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I honestly don’t know what to do
Reply 14
Do you know how many people got into Oxbridge this year? And were you happy with your decision with going to Latymer rather than staying at Ashmole?

No i'm not sure about how many got into Oxbridge, i'm sure you can call up and ask. I'm very happy at latymer and feel that I made the right decision.
Reply 15
alsoo, what made you want to go to latymer than to stay at ashmole? and do you regret it? also my situation at the moment is that at ashmole i’ve been offered: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. At Latymer: Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I honestly don’t know what to do

May I ask why you applied for further maths at ashmole but physics at latymer? I wanted to go to Latymer for many reasons: 1. I'd had a very bad experience at Ashmole for the 5 years i went, i don't want to go into detail in case it puts you off and changes your decision 2. Latymer was much closer to my house than Ashmole 3. From the open days and things I got the impression that Latymer offers more enrichment/extracurriulars and i was right.

What are your predicted grades, if you don't mind me asking?
May I ask why you applied for further maths at ashmole but physics at latymer? I wanted to go to Latymer for many reasons: 1. I'd had a very bad experience at Ashmole for the 5 years i went, i don't want to go into detail in case it puts you off and changes your decision 2. Latymer was much closer to my house than Ashmole 3. From the open days and things I got the impression that Latymer offers more enrichment/extracurriulars and i was right.

i’ve been given offers at both schools at the moment. Further Maths is full and for that reason they’re making me do physics and idk which is better to do. i want to get into medicine. I honestly don’t even know how i got in. I got one 9 and 8s and 2 6s. Do you think me going to latymer is going to give me an upper hand of entering oxbridge?

and nooo it’s fine i don’t mind if you don’t mind telling x
No i'm not sure about how many got into Oxbridge, i'm sure you can call up and ask. I'm very happy at latymer and feel that I made the right decision.

do you think me going to latymer would give me an upper hand for applying to oxbridge?

what enrichments are you currently doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending