The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Living expenses in Warwick? How much will be enough?

How much will be enough for the living expenses in warwick per month?
I was looking for Warwick accommodation yesterday, the cheapest accommodation is £70 per wk, £280 per month, the accommodation with ensuite will be at least £100 per wk, £400 per month. I think that is alot.
My mum said her friends' son is in Nottingham uni, and his mum gives him £600 per month, my mum said she could only give me £600 per month don't really know whether it's enough or not?:confused:

How do u guys think?
how much will u spend in uni per month?

Scroll to see replies

you mam is going to give you £600 a month - holy ****.

Will you even need your maintenance loan?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
eulerwaswrong

Im not going to borrow the maintenance loan from goverment, but dont really know £600 will be enough per month!

yesterday I had spoken to a current first year undergraduate student from warwick, she said her total cost will be about £700 per month include £400 accommodation.
nancy881314
Im not going to borrow the maintenance loan from goverment, but dont really know £600 will be enough per month!

yesterday I had spoken to a current first year undergraduate student from warwick, she said her total cost will be about £700 per month include £400 accommodation.

ill be lucky if my parents give me anything.

£600 per month is a lot of money for a parent to give per month. That is llike £6k per year - how much do you parents bring home after tax if you dont mind me asking?

Why arent you taking the maintenance loan - you may aswell - whatever you dont need you can invest
Reply 4
My house income will be £33000 before tax, don't know after! hopefully £600 will be enough for my living cost per month.

I need to pay interest for maintenance loan, so not going to take it.

I probably will take loan for my master.
eulerwaswrong

lol your such a ****** and so naive with your silly desperation to make roughly the same point over and over again.

what we have here isn't really all that extreme, 600 a month, so thats about 150 a week. now with accomodation ranging from 70 (most scummy) to about 120 i think we can easonably posit you at about 90. that gives you 60 a week spending. 60 isn't that much, it equates to about 600 a term and a lot of my friends are blowing 1k a term without even thinking about it.

warwick lving depends on your lfiestyle as soon as you say your going to go out in leam or cov it instantly infaltes your budget. you pay about 10quid xtra for transport. for a start. so lets say with 60 a week you do 25 on food, tesco is reaonably priced but including lunches or w/e. with 35 you can go out once oustide of leam and then once on campus. and thats a modestly budgeted week.
Reply 6
I think it depends largely on your lifestyle. If you're stingent the whole year around, then £600/month should be enough, but you'll feel restricted with what you can do.
Remember that you'll also have to pay accommodation fees up front at the beginning of every term, so your mother will presumably set up a direct debit to her account to pay for it, and give you the remainder.

I'd recommend you just went for the loan really. The rate of interest on the maintainance loan is the rate of inflation. There is no real interest on the loan. Even if you don't want it, the loan in profitable: you can just take it all and put it in a high interest bank account for the duration of your studies: you'll make a profit on it!
Reply 7
nancy881314
My house income will be £33000 before tax, don't know after! hopefully £600 will be enough for my living cost per month.

I need to pay interest for maintenance loan, so not going to take it.

I probably will take loan for my master.

You will need to do the finance application to get your grant.
It would be much better for you to take the maintenance loan - not only will you get a grant (probably around 1,500 for your household income) from the government you will get 1,800 as a 'Warwick Scholarship' from the uni. If you don't apply for the maintenace loan you won't get either of the grants. It seems silly not to take this 'free' money - and you could always put the loan in a high interest savings account which gives a rate above the rate of inflation, so you would actually be making money from having the loan.
Reply 9
take the loan

Basically, you'll get more non repayable money so that you won't even have to use the loan itself and you can pay it back as soon as you leave uni.

Seriously.

SERIOUSLY. Take the loan. Then you'll have enough extra cash that you won't have to worry about £600 being enough.
I live in Rootes currently, so that's £77 a week. I spend around £35 on average per week, so that's £112 a week, which is around £450 a month.

I go out a couple of times a week, but I'm pretty careful with my money.
Reply 11
Hi, I'm a international student from Canada and I will be spending my 3rd year at Warwick....and all my school fees and housing will be paid for, but I'm just wondering how much I would need to live comfortably and budget for traveling expenses around Europe every so often....

I know my description is kind of vague.....but what I mean to ask is how much would I need if I don't want to be cheap while I'm at school yet also not careless with money?

What about the hours of class a week? Would I have time for a job?
In Canada it ranges from 15 to 35 hours of class a week....so often students don't have time to hold down a job....
Reply 12
What course are you taking? By and large it's easy enough to take up a part time job - my housemate used to do 2 x 6 hour shifts in a campus restaurant per week whilst also doing Chemistry, which has one of the largest numbers of contact hours a week (up to 25 plus lab reports which are heavy). She also found the time for an active social life as she has an impressive work-hard-play-hard mentality, but she'd be the first to say that that did push her to her absolute limits.
Reply 13
estel
I think it depends largely on your lifestyle. If you're stingent the whole year around, then £600/month should be enough, but you'll feel restricted with what you can do.
Remember that you'll also have to pay accommodation fees up front at the beginning of every term, so your mother will presumably set up a direct debit to her account to pay for it, and give you the remainder.

I'd recommend you just went for the loan really. The rate of interest on the maintainance loan is the rate of inflation. There is no real interest on the loan. Even if you don't want it, the loan in profitable: you can just take it all and put it in a high interest bank account for the duration of your studies: you'll make a profit on it!

As far as I know they've bumped up interest on student loans so now it above the rate of inflation... - just checked the new rate is 4.8% which is about double the rate of inflation. Ouch.

Still, you could take the loan and put it in high interest savings accounts and make a bit of interest like you said if you were that way inclined.
thats what i'm doing :smile: ice save is on 7% adm guys go go go ....
Reply 15
As far as I know they've bumped up interest on student loans so now it above the rate of inflation... - just checked the new rate is 4.8% which is about double the rate of inflation. Ouch.

This is because they set each year's interest rate based on the retail price index in March.
Last year, the RPI indicated an inflation rate of 4.8% or so (which was about twice as high as last year's average!), hence the interest rate for this year was above the average inflation. This year, I think it's come way back down again. Luck of the draw really. Some years it might have a well below average interest rate.
Reply 16
Quinion
What course are you taking? By and large it's easy enough to take up a part time job - my housemate used to do 2 x 6 hour shifts in a campus restaurant per week whilst also doing Chemistry, which has one of the largest numbers of contact hours a week (up to 25 plus lab reports which are heavy). She also found the time for an active social life as she has an impressive work-hard-play-hard mentality, but she'd be the first to say that that did push her to her absolute limits.

I'm in Sociology. How many hours a week would that be?
8 maybe less i think its 8. lets see 4 modules 1 seminar each hmm could be 10 but i think its very little sociology isn'nt a strenuous course by any stretch.
What about psychology? know how many hours for that?
no idea, i don't know many people on that course, i just know taht every so often you can go make money for doing random psychology experiments....

Latest