The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Angelil
top tip: only join the CU at your uni if you are an evangelical Christian, as most are affiliated to the UCCF but like to keep this aspect quiet.
And don't worry, quite a few students go to church on a Sunday.

Definitely. I've actually ended up getting on well with ours, but you'd be amazed how many CUs take the line that if you're not charismatic and happy clappy you're not a "real" Christian. If you're high church C of E type, then you may be better off finding a "real" church than a student one.
You'll find quite a few Christians atyour university. I would approach with caution. A lot of christian unions are governed by body known as UCCF, and UCCF affiliation is something to be wary of; it's generally a sign of evangelicalism.

If evangelicalism is your kinda thing, then go for it, but Lancaster has a non-UCCF Christian Fellowship to provide an alternative to UCCF-style preaching.
fatal
Is it common for a student to go to church (insert place of worship here) on a Sunday? I'm just wondering whether there is any ridicule associated with breaking from the stereotypical student ethos (drink all day everyday) and being religious?

i was thinking the same thing
Reply 23
lastyear@uni
Definitely. I've actually ended up getting on well with ours, but you'd be amazed how many CUs take the line that if you're not charismatic and happy clappy you're not a "real" Christian. If you're high church C of E type, then you may be better off finding a "real" church than a student one.

Definitely. You'd probably be better off hanging around the Catholic chaplaincies than dealing with such folk.
Reply 24
lastyear@uni

Argh, I went to a service in which the congregation was made up of CUs, it was horrible. I felt like i'd walked in on the middle of a cult session. I was getting major evils for not waving my arms like a lunatic, it was like the person that did it most loved God most or something. The whole ethos of the place just felt wrong to me, because at the end of the day if I managed to convince somebody to come to a church service and they came there they would be seriously freaked out and never return.
Reply 25
im a catholic, and go to mass regularly with my dad, however, at uni im not sure if i will go, and if i do i dont think it will be every week, maybe once a month. Im deffinatly not keen on the idea of Christian Unions, they seem to cultish, i dont believe evangelicals can be called christian, especially the ones who preach prosperity theology.
Reply 26
Jaager
i dont believe evangelicals can be called christian, especially the ones who preach prosperity theology.

Now now, no need to stoop to their level :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of friends who are evangelicals, but I was seriously frightened off by the CU at Exeter (now called the ECU, thankfully - one of my friends suggested it should be called FECU instead :p: ). I ended up at the Methodist and Anglican Society instead. Much good times :smile:
Reply 27
no but its a bit disturbing when an evangelical "preacher" comes round to your house demanding money from your cousin because they didnt pay their tithe to the "church". not only that but then going on to make insulting references about catholicism.
Reply 28
If you are going to Glasgow, it would appear that they have a society called the "Student Christian Movement" as a less "weird" alternative to the evangelical CU. Might be worth checking it out?
And yay for the Christian Fellowships, Methsocs, Angsocs and Cathsocs throughout the land, flying the flag for mainstream Christianity.
L i b
Definitely. You'd probably be better off hanging around the Catholic chaplaincies than dealing with such folk.

Well you say that.... I'm verging on Catholic anyway, and quite seriously considering converting, especially if CofE start ordaining women bishops. But the first time I went to a Catholic mass (because I was singing there rather than because of my curiosity at that point) I asked for a blessing and was refused. Since then the chaplain has changed and the current one is very welcoming - but I have to say I was astounded that someone could say I'm confused, I think I might want to be a Catholic, and just be turned away because their parents haven't brough them up that way.l
Reply 30
lastyear@uni
Well you say that.... I'm verging on Catholic anyway, and quite seriously considering converting, especially if CofE start ordaining women bishops. But the first time I went to a Catholic mass (because I was singing there rather than because of my curiosity at that point) I asked for a blessing and was refused. Since then the chaplain has changed and the current one is very welcoming - but I have to say I was astounded that someone could say I'm confused, I think I might want to be a Catholic, and just be turned away because their parents haven't brough them up that way.l

I actually felt somewhat similar at a point, but now I've found a really good set of churches called the Vineyard. Theres one just outside my traveling range here in NI but I looked it up and theres one in West Glasgow which will be handy. Church of Ireland/England put me seriously off because of their worship and lack of... i suppose community.

Latest

Trending

Trending