The Student Room Group

immigrated from africa as a kid, now 23 - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
we ran away, seeked asylum and was granted back in the late 90s - i was like 2

i am a muslim, islam is my religion

beautiful, if you have money - it's a paradise island ^^ i want to relocate back home some day

I really should go there one day
what’s your big purpose/goal in life? I ask as I’m trying to figure it out too. I immigrated from East Africa too and I’m healthy/go to a good uni etc so I feel like I’m in the top 1% and so it’s my duty to do something but outside helping the family financially idk what to do.

Also I’m about to graduate and start working in strat consulting. I want to save my money for the future/use it to grow further income streams but I’m aware as the eldest I have a responsibility to help with the bills at home. As a benchmark what’s a fair amount to give? How much do you give? I don’t want to give too low or too high
Original post by tierny3
what’s your big purpose/goal in life? I ask as I’m trying to figure it out too. I immigrated from East Africa too and I’m healthy/go to a good uni etc so I feel like I’m in the top 1% and so it’s my duty to do something but outside helping the family financially idk what to do.

Also I’m about to graduate and start working in strat consulting. I want to save my money for the future/use it to grow further income streams but I’m aware as the eldest I have a responsibility to help with the bills at home. As a benchmark what’s a fair amount to give? How much do you give? I don’t want to give too low or too high

aside from building a family enterprise back home so can utilise my knowledge and hopefully build some financial stability for my wider family, want to inspire others and develop a family.. ultimately Islam is my or should be my main purpose - as muslims we believe the life here is temporary and is only a means to test our faith / kindness / akhlaaq (manners) and our willingness to submit to God.

congrats on the gig -

it's really dependent, i help with the bills - and if there's any huge things that need to be bought i.e. car, i usually offer to foot the cost. my parents have their own income streams so they're not dependent on me, i just like to ease any burdens so that any excess cash they can spend on siblings. my outgoings to family usually is approx ~10-15% of my net income
Did you study hard at school?

It looks like you've made a success of yourself working in high end finance
Original post by gr8wizard10
have some time to myself, so pls feel free to ask questions and will spread what little knowledge my old self has

given the name of this site - went through the british education system :smile:

can we please stop generalising Africa and start mentioning the exact country that you were born in? I m sorry but as someone who grew up in a small country in east Africa this annoys me a lot.
Original post by midani_s
Did you study hard at school?

It looks like you've made a success of yourself working in high end finance

not really - never liked academia, just took advantage of networking opportunities / and did quite a fair few internships
Original post by naomifrazier
can we please stop generalising Africa and start mentioning the exact country that you were born in? I m sorry but as someone who grew up in a small country in east Africa this annoys me a lot.

XD lol whenever someone asks me i always just say africa, its become a habit - but then someone can just ask whichcountry and i'd provide that info
do you speak any other language apart from english? if yes, which one(s)?
Original post by jadarose
do you speak any other language apart from english? if yes, which one(s)?

swahili as well

Quick Reply

Latest