The Student Room Group

FSMQ (Additional Maths)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
yes s does equal 1/2 (u+v) t
But also a = (v-u)/t
it's s different suvat equation, that's all.

To guinny:
The link between the suvats in terms of calculus is as follows:

S Differentiated gives you V. V differentiated gives you A
(so also a integrates to v, which integrates again to s)

But you don't just integrate the raw formula as you are trying to do. You find the value of one first then use the differentiation or integration to find the other thing you want. Do not integrate vt^-1 - ut^-1 !! :smile:

Sorry if that doesnt help, im too tired for maths now :biggrin:
going to sleep...
Reply 61
Hey everybody I'm working through this paper

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/past_papers_2007_june/FSMQ_Additional_Mathematics_6993_01_June_2007_Question_Paper.pdf

and I was wondering if anybody could help me with number 6.

I've got up to dy/dx at (2, 6) = 9 but i'm struggling to get to the answer on the markscheme
which is http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/mark_schemes/FSMQ_Additional_Mathematics_Mark_Scheme_June_2007.pdf

there
anybody out there willing to give me hand?

Reply 62
Well you know the gradient. So if you use y=mx+c you know that y=9x+c

So substitute in the values for (2,6), so:

6=(9x2)+c
6=18+c
Rearrange this
c=6-18
c=-12

So y=9x-12
Reply 63
Wasnt that obvious anyway? :s-smilie:
Reply 64
ah thanks :biggrin:
Reply 65
yehp using the equation of a straight line works quicker here
Reply 66
For variable acceleration, as you move down the labels, you differentiate. And, as you move up, you integrate. That's how I manage to remember it!

On that paper, the last part of the last question is a bitch!
Reply 67
I am extremely confused, I am doing an exam on Friday the 6th, the teacher calls it additional maths. My exam is 2 hours long, 40 questions and it is multiple choice.. I have never heard of most of the stuff you are doing.

Is it likely I am doing the same exam?
Reply 68
Thank **** for that! My subject when I chose it was described as Maths FSMQ. Come to think of it, I think I am doing this one next year. You don't know how releived I am, I was buckling down ready to do 5 hours a day.
Reply 69
ahaha lucky you!
i wouldnt mind a multiple choice maths exam. pfff :p:

uth =]
Reply 70
I am looking to lose a maximum of 20 marks! More than that, and I consider my A to be gone!
Reply 71
Losing 20 marks maximum gets you a very comfortable A...
Reply 72
uthred50
ahaha lucky you!
i wouldnt mind a multiple choice maths exam. pfff :p:

uth =]

What makes it even easier is the questions are like;

One of these statements is wrong, 3 are right. Circle the wrong statement.

A
B
C
D

I think I found a pattern in how they chose them, they seem to do A about 1/10, B 2/10, C 3/10 and D4/10. It isn't going to get me a A* single handedly but that + some lucky guessing should get me closer.

It makes sense that A is less because if A is wrong you don't even have to look at the rest. It might just have been the 1 mock we did in class though.
Reply 73
Can you get an A* for that one? Our one is graded like A levels, so we can get A-E or U.
Reply 74
Ziffachan
Can you get an A* for that one? Our one is graded like A levels, so we can get A-E or U.

It's like an A-Level. Well... an inbetweener I'd say. Highest is an A :] *dreams*
Reply 75
I hate kinematics
Reply 76
sundogs
Hey everybody I'm working through this paper

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/past_papers_2007_june/FSMQ_Additional_Mathematics_6993_01_June_2007_Question_Paper.pdf

and I was wondering if anybody could help me with number 6.

I've got up to dy/dx at (2, 6) = 9 but i'm struggling to get to the answer on the markscheme
which is http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/mark_schemes/FSMQ_Additional_Mathematics_Mark_Scheme_June_2007.pdf

there
anybody out there willing to give me hand?

I did that paper on saturday after finally getting round to going over the entire syllabus. I thought I knew literally nothing - turned out I knew a lot more than I thought. I got 86% which is well into an A. :biggrin: I hope I can do that in the actual exam.
Reply 77
omg meliae!
Your signature refers to i'm going slightly mad by queen. great song!
Well you missed loads of lines in between, but still.
I lovveee Queen! You should so join Classic Rock Society :biggrin:
Join Here

uthred =]
Reply 78
uthred50
omg meliae!
Your signature refers to i'm going slightly mad by queen. great song!
Well you missed loads of lines in between, but still.
I lovveee Queen! You should so join Classic Rock Society :biggrin:
Join Here

uthred =]

Me too :biggrin: I went to a Queen tribute thing the other week. It was amazing. I thought the entire song in one sig might be a bit excessive, so I just picked a couple of my favourite lines. I love the lyrics to that song. xD
Reply 79
:biggrin: yeh mann rock on :thrasher:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending