The Student Room Group

How does intercalating work?

How does intercalcating work? Is it only for oxbridge and can I do it with any course (within my med course obv)?
Most medicine unis give the opportunity to intercalate now. Though not all are able to.
Basically you are taken a year out of medicine to study another subject and get a degree in that. You are pretty open to choosing to intercalate in anything, hypothetically. In unis where it isn't compulsory they will have limited options as to what you can study. At my uni you are pretty open as to what you intercalate in, you are given a list of options but I'm pretty sure if you make a good case as to why you want to study something else and how it relates to medicine you can do it
Reply 2
Many thanks!
Original post by AzureCeleste
Most medicine unis give the opportunity to intercalate now. Though not all are able to.
Basically you are taken a year out of medicine to study another subject and get a degree in that. You are pretty open to choosing to intercalate in anything, hypothetically. In unis where it isn't compulsory they will have limited options as to what you can study. At my uni you are pretty open as to what you intercalate in, you are given a list of options but I'm pretty sure if you make a good case as to why you want to study something else and how it relates to medicine you can do it
Reply 3
Is there many job opportunities for medicine and economics? I’m only at gcse, but I love both subjects so was considering intercalcating in econ if I do go on to med. I was thinking at WHO or UN but any ideas?
Original post by Inezmt
Is there many job opportunities for medicine and economics? I’m only at gcse, but I love both subjects so was considering intercalcating in econ if I do go on to med. I was thinking at WHO or UN but any ideas?

You don't intercalate in the WHO or UN? You intercalate in your medical school. You may choose to intercalate in global health or something similar

Anyway, now is wayyyy to early to think about it. I need to choose what I'm intercalating in next year and have no clue yet, chill

Quick Reply