The Student Room Group

Do you fear death? Why or why not?

Scroll to see replies

Death is the ultimate truth. You can't run, or hide from it. You can't avoid it, can you, and you certainly can't deny it. So why be scared of death, when everyone is going to face it one day?
Reply 21
Would get a decent rest finally to be fair.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Klotild this is true nearly dying has made me appreciate my life so much more

And when you appreciate life, you can make it so much more bearable/likeable for others:-)
I am not thinking 'heroic deeds', just for the people around you.
Nope. The only thing is dying horribly and painfully.
Reply 24
The purpose of the quote was to communicate his nihilistic and pessimistic views towards the fragility of life. He knows that nearly dying changes a lot, but still, comparatively it changes nothing when compared with death. Yes, in our day to day lives it means we think we are lucky to have survived and our outlook on life changes, but its still nothing relative to having no outlook at all.
Original post by Klotild
Which is just an empty phrase. Both from literature and real life I know that near death experience can change a lot. You can turn your whole life around and become a different person as a result... Not necessarily, and not everyone... but still, it is an extremely meaningful experience.
Original post by Bane01
Death is an existential phenomenon. It is also a phenomenon with inevitable and universal aspects at the same time.
In our birth, there is always the motivation to stay alive. For this reason, the underlying cause behind all our fears is that we must perceive something that threatens our lives and threatening our alive form.

For example, the real reason behind our fear of starvation or darkness is that it threatens our lives and It is nearing death. As a result, if we have fears in our daily lives, we mean that we are afraid of death and dying, whether we accept it or no

nah live your BEST life
Original post by thoxque
The purpose of the quote was to communicate his nihilistic and pessimistic views towards the fragility of life. He knows that nearly dying changes a lot, but still, comparatively it changes nothing when compared with death. Yes, in our day to day lives it means we think we are lucky to have survived and our outlook on life changes, but its still nothing relative to having no outlook at all.

I understood the purpose of the quote;-)
However, I still think it is somehow rather 'one-dimensional', stating the obvious..., if you know what I mean.
For me to live a life meaningfully, compared to not living it at all has the bigger value. That's my very subjective view:-)

Quick Reply

Latest