The Student Room Group

I'm have a problem with my revision...

So my gcse exams start in just over a weeks time, and whilst I've been doing an absolute ton of revision for subjects like Science, Maths and Business, I for some reason can't bring myself to do any English or Geography revision and the exams are so close!

It's probably because I find the subjects I listed above interesting, hence why I revise them a lot, however I dislike English and Geography so I have no motivation to study them. It'll probably end up with me cramming the day before the exam which I don't want to happen, so could anyone share some advice/tips to help me?
Original post by Tomshaw89
So my gcse exams start in just over a weeks time, and whilst I've been doing an absolute ton of revision for subjects like Science, Maths and Business, I for some reason can't bring myself to do any English or Geography revision and the exams are so close!

It's probably because I find the subjects I listed above interesting, hence why I revise them a lot, however I dislike English and Geography so I have no motivation to study them. It'll probably end up with me cramming the day before the exam which I don't want to happen, so could anyone share some advice/tips to help me?

I know how tempting it is to just focus on what you like, but the subjects you don't like aren't going to go away, so you may as well get on with them :tongue: You could try starting with the topics you dislike the least and work your way through to the ones you find hardest/most boring. Or, instead of trying to make yourself read through notes, it may be better to go straight to past papers and recall what you already know, then go back and read through the bits you forgot. That's the best strategy I've found, at least :smile:
I would do an hour or so of a subject I love,take a break and then do an hour of a subject I don’t like(in your case this is English or geography).Take another break and then do an hour of a subject you do like etc.
Reply 3
Since you know you can do subjects like science and maths or whatever, try to spend more time doing English and geography.

Watch videos on youtube relevant to your exam board - I recommend mr Bruff for English, try making notes as the videos play and make sure that you know quotes.

As for geography, use BBC bitesize, do practice questions etc. go over ones you get wrong and make notes

Hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by Tomshaw89

If you need some encouragement to revise english I recommend grabbing something to eat and watching some Mr Bruff videos on Youtube. They are actually quite interesting and very helpful. Afterwards, make some notes on the key points he makes in the videos

For Geography, I recommend grabbing your text book and writing down all of the key features and statistics that you will need for your case studies for the exams (idk if you do the same course as me (I'm OCR B) but my Geography teacher recommended that we focus mainly on the case studies and then revise any other extra information afterwards

I know how hard it is because I'm going through all the same stuff right now (like literally - I'm trying to revise Geography lol)

Good luck with the revision and I hope I've been able to help :smile:
a
Original post by Jyro
If you need some encouragement to revise english I recommend grabbing something to eat and watching some Mr Bruff videos on Youtube. They are actually quite interesting and very helpful. Afterwards, make some notes on the key points he makes in the videos

For Geography, I recommend grabbing your text book and writing down all of the key features and statistics that you will need for your case studies for the exams (idk if you do the same course as me (I'm OCR B) but my Geography teacher recommended that we focus mainly on the case studies and then revise any other extra information afterwards

I know how hard it is because I'm going through all the same stuff right now (like literally - I'm trying to revise Geography lol)

Good luck with the revision and I hope I've been able to help :smile:

Haha, I'll try watching some Mr Bruff then with my mug of soup. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest