The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core Pure 1 2019

Today I found out it's possible to leave an exam with 0% confidence that I have gotten any marks...

Nah for real though that exam was hard af, what did you guys think?

Yikes
Original post by SadToyCats
Today I found out it's possible to leave an exam with 0% confidence that I have gotten any marks...

Nah for real though that exam was hard af, what did you guys think?

Yikes

Wow, yeah. Definitely harder than the SAM and 2018 paper imo.

Personally, I think everything I did went well, but I ended up running out of time. Some questions took me a long time to figure out what I had to do. Seems like Edexcel wanted to make a harder exam with more problem solving elements.
I thought it was going to be fine for the first few questions.. but when it got to the questions about chimpanzees, volumes of revolution, marbles and pipelines it all got a bit confusing! (Oh wait.. that's most of the questions...). It was definitely harder than the 2018 paper and the sample papers. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by thejj100100
I thought it was going to be fine for the first few questions.. but when it got to the questions about chimpanzees, volumes of revolution, marbles and pipelines it all got a bit confusing! (Oh wait.. that's most of the questions...). It was definitely harder than the 2018 paper and the sample papers. :frown:

I can relate 100%
Realistically speaking I would say the only ones I confidently can say I got right was the first question and proof by induction and the volumes one (you can check with calc) but I think I messed up the final statement on what it was in terms of radians. That's like 20/80 marks so far. Maybe a few marks here and there for working and I would say I probably got 30 to 40 out of 80. I'm gonna need at least 60/80 on my 2 mechanics papers to get an A lmfao #ezpz
Reply 4
Original post by ~Fractal~
Wow, yeah. Definitely harder than the SAM and 2018 paper imo.

Personally, I think everything I did went well, but I ended up running out of time. Some questions took me a long time to figure out what I had to do. Seems like Edexcel wanted to make a harder exam with more problem solving elements.

Yeah the timing on that paper was ridiculous right? I don't think it's possible to do the whole paper unless you constantly write and know how you're going to answer the question without having to think. Kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion, the old a level maths rewarded people that knew the content, this one is like: you know all the stuff you've been taught? half of it won't show up AND we'll make the half that does show extremely ambiguous by putting incomprehensible scenarios in...
Reply 5
Rant over,

Time to revise for the other exam. Which modules did you guys do?
Reply 6
I didn't find the pipeline one too hard; although the last question with matrices was very much similar to the specimen paper where adult and juvenile populations were modelled - although that was a very difficult question where some candidates spent over 10 minutes on a three mark part to it (I couldn't really answer part (b) to it at all)... Not sure what everyone else got for the volumes of revolution question but I got a rotation of π/4? Managed to work out how to do the standard deviation question, just didn't end up at the right answer...

Good luck for Thursday's paper!
(edited 4 years ago)
Apparently, the volume of revolution question had angle of 4.44rad, that’s what many people have said anyway. I didn’t really get a good look at the chimp question because of the time.

I think I got the standard deviation question though - about 75.9g.

That’s CP1 done anyway. I’m doing FP1 and further mech 1, so time to revise for that.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 8
Original post by ~Fractal~
Apparently, the volume of revolution question had angle of 4.44rad, that’s what many people have said anyway. I didn’t really get a good look at the chimp question because of the time.

I think I got the standard deviation question though - about 75.9g.

That’s CP1 done anyway. I’m doing FP1 and further mech 1, so time to revise for that.

Good luck everyone!

Yeah I got 4.44 rad but I swear you could type it into the calculator. One of my friends said because it was a revolution it should have been divided by pi ??? It was 8 marks so I think they wanted all the workings but I was pushed for time so after integrating I wrote the bounds and just stated the answer... Hope they don't penelise me too much for not writing it out the subbing in.

How are you feeling for FM1? What parts do you find the hardest in it?
Reply 9
Original post by Finsey
I didn't find the pipeline one too hard; although the last question with matrices was very much similar to the specimen paper where adult and juvenile populations were modelled - although that was a very difficult question where some candidates spent over 10 minutes on a three mark part to it (I couldn't really answer part (b) to it at all)... Not sure what everyone else got for the volumes of revolution question but I got a rotation of π/4? Managed to work out how to do the standard deviation question, just didn't end up at the right answer...

I'm taking Further Mechanics 1 & 2 for my further modules.

Good luck for Thursday's paper!

Same with me I pretty much couldn't do any of the chimp questions because of timing but I did manage to write out the equations I would use. You needed to use the inverse matrix you found before to get a set of simultaneous equations right? I would have done it but I swear it was like 3 marks but the inverse matrix was so disgusting I didn't want to deal with it for the amount of marks it was worth.
Original post by SadToyCats
Same with me I pretty much couldn't do any of the chimp questions because of timing but I did manage to write out the equations I would use. You needed to use the inverse matrix you found before to get a set of simultaneous equations right? I would have done it but I swear it was like 3 marks but the inverse matrix was so disgusting I didn't want to deal with it for the amount of marks it was worth.

I got a horrible matrix for the inverse and then I saw the marks, looked up at the time and just decided to go back to some of the other questions... it was something like 1/(0.82a-0.15)[matrix].

Not sure I got the numbers correct there but it’s similar. 🤷*♂️
Original post by thejj100100
I got a horrible matrix for the inverse and then I saw the marks, looked up at the time and just decided to go back to some of the other questions... it was something like 1/(0.82a-0.15)[matrix].

Not sure I got the numbers correct there but it’s similar. 🤷*♂️

Yeah I got that
And they expected you to do [inverse] x [population] = [new] and then simultaneously find a... And that was 3 marks so no thanks rather not.

What did you write for your modelling and question on juvenile chimps sustainability or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending