The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What does that mean? Some of us completed the Assessment Centres and deserve to know our outcome. I've never heard the like of this in my life.
Original post by Hendrotta
@Brummel I was debating whether or not to post this but have you heard the rumours, I stress UNCONFIRMED at this stage, that management are closing the DP competition at the end of this month? Info coming from NIPSA reps. I've emailed HR Connect and NICS Hr in the hope they've got it wrong

I have not heard any such rumours however I do vaguely recall that NIPSA were previously asked to agree to an extension for these competitions as they were due to expire. As far as I can recall, NIPSA did not object to this and I think the extension was for 6 months. A NIPSA rep should be able to confirm this.

The Candidate Info Booklets (CIB) for this scheme stated - "It is intended that the order of merit will remain active for a period of 18 months. However, there is a possibility, although remote, that circumstances may arise where it will be necessary to extend the list for a further period".

This means that the 18 month active period for DP merit lists expired on 22 January 2021 (ie 18 months from 22 July 2019 when the 1st set of results were released) and the SO expiry date will have been 18mths after publication of Tranche 1 SO results, whenever that was. As I say I think an extension has already been sought & approved for both SO & DP so it could well be the case that the lists are now due to expire in late July.

If needs be, anyone can send in an foi request asking for the current expiry date for each competition, whether there is any possibility of them being further extended and how this impacts people who have already completed their AC but are still awaiting their result.
Complete joke if true. I'm in the same boat. Completed AC very start of Jan and absolutely zero since
Just got confirmation directly from HR its not true and NIPSA have their wires crossed. My apologies. Was in a bit of a panic.
Original post by Hendrotta
Just got confirmation directly from HR its not true and NIPSA have their wires crossed. My apologies. Was in a bit of a panic.

Good news - maybe HR are actually requesting a further extension? If I were in tranche 5 I would ask what specifically is happening - will there be a further extension and if not, what then?
Reply 2485
Typical from NIPSA.
Extension due in July but I've never known one not to be given the green light by NIPSA. what panicked me was a NIPSA rep saying management had decided to hault it. But he clearly didn't pick it up right at their meeting. Union being asked for an extension to a competition is just a formality/courtesy in my view. Never known one not to be agreed.
Apparently now it will likely be the end of August that the DP Assessment Centres are up and running again and will only take a couple of weeks to complete. Looks like September for when we find out now.
Anyone know anything about when the SO ACs will take place?
I attended an SO assessment centre in Feb 2020 and a DP AC in Dec 2020 and awaiting results. I asked HRConnect for an update this morning. It went something like . . It is a very frustrating wait for all involved especially with no confirmed date for assessment centres to resume. However, the circumstances are beyond our control. I do apologise for the delay in issuing your assessment centre outcome and assure you HRConnect are doing everything we can to resume assessment centres and issue results as soon as possible.
Original post by Carterusm77
I attended an SO assessment centre in Feb 2020 and a DP AC in Dec 2020 and awaiting results. I asked HRConnect for an update this morning. It went something like . . It is a very frustrating wait for all involved especially with no confirmed date for assessment centres to resume. However, the circumstances are beyond our control. I do apologise for the delay in issuing your assessment centre outcome and assure you HRConnect are doing everything we can to resume assessment centres and issue results as soon as possible.

I also attended DP AC in Dec 2020 and haven’t even bothered to ask them for any updates as know that’s the exact vague rubbish they reply with, saying absolutely nothing and only making you feel even more frustrated than before
I know in DFC they used to have something for new staff. Some kind of group to help new external SO/DPs. But that was before lockdown. Contact your HR business partner or maybe even HR connect could tell you if there's one where you are.
Anyone know if you get to negotiate your starting salary if you are successful?
Original post by MichyH1

No, everyone starts the same with leave and salary unless a current civil servant. They won’t even match higher salary’s from arms length body’s
Original post by Unevenflow
Hi folks,

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well. Just reading a few recent posts and it seems that things are moving slowly for some people. I've been through the process and in post for a few months and very pleased to say it's been well worth the wait so hang in there and stay hopeful if you can.

A question for the forum on a slight tangent - does anyone have any indication as to how new DP or SO staff could get in touch with one another to help form a little bit of a community? Working from home is great for so many reasons including dramatically reduced environmental impacts but social interaction does suffer a little bit. I don't think this would be massively better if a standard office environment returned, I think some co-ordination to help new DP and SO staff form a network is badly needed and would be very beneficial.

What are the thoughts from the forum?

I agree, I had posted on here about people who had been placed and who wanted wanted get in contact etc. I got a couple of messages but Not ideal as i imagine once most people get placed, they don't check this anymore.
But definitely agree that a support system is very much lacking. My department did a virtual coffee break for DPs, both existing and new which was quite good but only happened once
Original post by MichyH1

No. I was on 30 days leave in Invest NI. Dropped to 25. Everyone starts on the same.
Original post by Jody51a
No, everyone starts the same with leave and salary unless a current civil servant. They won’t even match higher salary’s from arms length body’s

Jody51a is exactly right about salary etc and regarding networks for new entrants at SO & DP grades I’ve not heard of any & I doubt the NICS would consider this unless there are large numbers requesting it (I’m not sure that many external candidates have been recruited to DP, the number recruited to SO is likely higher). Lots of people have previously been externally recruited into the EO grades & nothing like this was ever done. As the external DP & SO competitions were based on the experience required to do the job, they will expect successful candidates to have the relevant experience that will enable them to fit in and get on with little assistance.

On a separate point, has anyone received an invite to interview yet for tranche 5 DP or SO?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Brummel
Jody51a is exactly right about salary etc and regarding networks for new entrants at SO & DP grades I’ve not heard of any & I doubt the NICS would consider this unless there are large numbers requesting it (I’m not sure how many external candidates have been recruited at each grade). Lots of people have previously been externally recruited into the EO grades & nothing like this was ever done. As the external DP & SO competitions were based on the experience required to do the job, they will expect successful candidates to have the relevant experience that will enable them to fit in and get on with little assistance.

On a separate point, has anyone received an invite to interview yet for tranche 5 DP or SO?

Still waiting to hear for SO - original AC was March 2020 ☹️
Original post by Brummel
Jody51a is exactly right about salary etc and regarding networks for new entrants at SO & DP grades I’ve not heard of any & I doubt the NICS would consider this unless there are large numbers requesting it (I’m not sure that many external candidates have been recruited to DP, the number recruited to SO is likely higher). Lots of people have previously been externally recruited into the EO grades & nothing like this was ever done. As the external DP & SO competitions were based on the experience required to do the job, they will expect successful candidates to have the relevant experience that will enable them to fit in and get on with little assistance.

Nope. "End of summer" for DP assessments with SO to.follow, is what I heard today. But that's what we've been told from HRC for a while now.
i would have thought they would have liked to have all the SO and DP assessments completed before starting the EO assessments. its such a long wait

Latest

Trending

Trending