The Student Room Group

GCSE - Given up

I have pretty much failed my exams... I did rubbish on my Biology and now I am going to fail my English literature. I did minimal revision as I am struggling really bad mentally - I have tried to go to the doctors, but unfortunately, they were useless :/ My struggles have made it impossible to revise as I cannot retain any information, such as: quotes, and practicals (large chunks of info) and it is really damaging my confidence how this is all happening. I wish I was gifted in everything and was absolutely perfect, but I am not. I been watching Mr Salles tonight and my mind keeps drifting elsewhere. I am just feeling so useless and trapped, and don't know what to do as 3 exams back-to-back is really hard, and it is especially difficult as they are all important.

I see myself failing Chemistry and Physics as I am terrible at equations and the periodic table, as well as atoms, bonding and the rest. I am also terrible as remembering equations. English language looks like a hurdle to me as well as the questions are very confusing, and I have lost all my creativity from my mind just dulling out into a grey cloud of nothingness.

I have spoken to my parents, and they are fine as they fully know why, they are supportive but tell me to do my exams and try my best and hope.

I have been off school a lot for personal reasons which have added to my failure.

Is anyone else struggling really bad? I am mentally and physically exhausted from all of this, and on top I am really disappointed. :/
If anyone wants to talk I am here...
Reply 1
I am the same as you. I suffer bad anxiety which causes me to procrastinate. It’s always been a issue. However, GCSEs was something completely different as not only was my anxiety and an all time high but my depressive thoughts started getting worse and worse. I have procrastinated revision for all my exams. I fluctuate between extreme stress and anxiety which inhibits me from retaining any information to completely burning out from all the anxiety and completely giving up. I cannot seem to find a middle ground. I didn’t revise for any subjects but history and I’ve already had one (CIE) and I failed miserably. Every single exam I have done so far has been a massive failure. I am glad your parents understand your struggle and support you. I was too scared to tell my parents as they might see it as an excuse for being lazy (which is the case in some instances). My mum found out about my complete lack of revision two days ago after my RS exam. I don’t even remember how she found out but it must have slipped. She was irate (and I mean extremely angry) and started yelling how I am an idiot and a disappointment, I let her say it because I is true. You’d think that that would be enough to sit me down but here I am going to bed with an English literature exam that I have tomorrow that I now nothing for. The problem is my parents expect 8/9s and my goal is all 7s and I know that if I didn’t have this problem with procrastination and anxiety that I could easily achieve 8/9s. I am my own saboteur and I have messed everything up. The thing is that no matter how many times I make the same mistake, I never learn. Don’t worry, you’re not alone x
Reply 2
I hope your recover from any personal issues and we can battle through our individual problems together. It’s so hard being on TSR and surrounded by people who often can judge you for not having revised or doing worse than your capabilities when they cannot even fathom the personal struggles and hurdles.
Reply 3
Just want to see if I am the only one... Everyone looks like they're succeeding, and I feel alone. I did revision for Biology, sort of.. But, I had the AQA one which was unfair and was mainly maths and practicals - my weakest points in science..

Personally, I think there should be coursework as well as exams - like 40% coursework 60% exam for an example. As people, like me, really struggle with tests. I am really good in lesson and writing notes, but when it comes to tests, all my knowledge flies out the window and evaporates. It's a cycle. :/
Original post by bmarciel
I hope your recover from any personal issues and we can battle through our individual problems together. It’s so hard being on TSR and surrounded by people who often can judge you for not having revised or doing worse than your capabilities when they cannot even fathom the personal struggles and hurdles.
Reply 4
I’m terrible at tests too and even though I always manage to receive decent results they never show my true knowledge of a subjects. I feel they should take into account what everyone strengths and weaknesses are with GCSEs instead of judging everyone on the same paper. It’s so unfair for those who struggle with papers and those who succeeded very well in papers and time conditions. It’s so unfair that I can have received good grades all throughout the three year course but this month of papers where I mentally struggled will act as the statement of my intelligence, when that is not the case. So many people’s strengths are in other methods of recall that are not tests and it’s annoying that we might have to work harder and our struggles are not seen by the examiners and boards. I’m scared on how these results are final. I really messed up.
Original post by queenchloe
Just want to see if I am the only one... Everyone looks like they're succeeding, and I feel alone. I did revision for Biology, sort of.. But, I had the AQA one which was unfair and was mainly maths and practicals - my weakest points in science..

Personally, I think there should be coursework as well as exams - like 40% coursework 60% exam for an example. As people, like me, really struggle with tests. I am really good in lesson and writing notes, but when it comes to tests, all my knowledge flies out the window and evaporates. It's a cycle. :/
Hey, you cant say really say you did bad without even trying your best in all of your exams. I thought i did very crap in my GSCES, but i never gave up Becuase one exam didnt go well. Now im in year 13, the only one holding a level qualifications in my freind group.

Dont be so hard on yourself, it will just make you fatalistic. This will effect your concentration - push hard Becuase these grades stick with you for life
I have pretty much failed my exams... I did rubbish on my Biology and now I am going to fail my English literature. I did minimal revision as I am struggling really bad mentally - I have tried to go to the doctors, but unfortunately, they were useless :/ My struggles have made it impossible to revise as I cannot retain any information, such as: quotes, and practicals (large chunks of info) and it is really damaging my confidence how this is all happening. I wish I was gifted in everything and was absolutely perfect, but I am not. I been watching Mr Salles tonight and my mind keeps drifting elsewhere. I am just feeling so useless and trapped, and don't know what to do as 3 exams back-to-back is really hard, and it is especially difficult as they are all important.

I see myself failing Chemistry and Physics as I am terrible at equations and the periodic table, as well as atoms, bonding and the rest. I am also terrible as remembering equations. English language looks like a hurdle to me as well as the questions are very confusing, and I have lost all my creativity from my mind just dulling out into a grey cloud of nothingness.

I have spoken to my parents, and they are fine as they fully know why, they are supportive but tell me to do my exams and try my best and hope.

I have been off school a lot for personal reasons which have added to my failure.

Is anyone else struggling really bad? I am mentally and physically exhausted from all of this, and on top I am really disappointed. :/

do your best with the situation you’re presented with. it’s all anyone could ever ask my sweet. focus on caring for yourself pls - you still need to function after this <3
Reply 7
I have extra pressure as my brother is so gifted in all all subjects. He got A*, A's and like 1 B... So I am under loads of pressure, and I just feel like a disappointment as I am failing so hard! Every time I do revise for the "most likely" bits... they never come up... Like I revised the witches, kingship... then, violence comes up and I was so unprepared... I wrote like 3 small paragraphs, but I did better than expected. I have moved schools twice, most recent was literally a year ago, so it was harder for me to get used to the content, but 100% I will be better when I retake. I will just revise bits in the summer (but not loads as I want to be able to enjoy my summer) and I think revising through the summer will be more enjoyable as I could sit outside in the sunshine rather then being in my room. Just a tiny bit disappointed, but my parents have made another doctors appointment, so hopefully the doctors will do something this time... 3rd time the charm?

But anyway thank you so much! <3
Original post by nicol.ah
do your best with the situation you’re presented with. it’s all anyone could ever ask my sweet. focus on caring for yourself pls - you still need to function after this <3
Reply 8
It's just I have tried to revise, but none will stick in my head.. Like I watched summary videos as my last hope... and no content even came it... it was the photosynthesis pond weed practical, starch and sugar enzyme practical, surface area and volume, and small bit of heart, which was also hard as my class didn't learn about the heartrate lowering pill thing... :frown: Maths is also my weakness so I found it really unfair... I felt surface area and volume should be for physics not biology :/
Original post by ShadyWhama
Hey, you cant say really say you did bad without even trying your best in all of your exams. I thought i did very crap in my GSCES, but i never gave up Becuase one exam didnt go well. Now im in year 13, the only one holding a level qualifications in my freind group.

Dont be so hard on yourself, it will just make you fatalistic. This will effect your concentration - push hard Becuase these grades stick with you for life
Focus on your most important subjects. English language isn't until after half term so you can spend time revising for that during half term (I'd recommend watching some Mr Bruff videos) and go through some maths stuff. If that's all you can get done then that's fine, just try your best to pass those and even if you don't you can always retake next year. Or if there's any subjects that really interest you, focus on them. I think you need to take a break from revision for a bit to clear your head because, even though it's stressful not revising when you feel you should be, it seems to me that you're really stressed and it's not going to be any good to you if you're trying to revise and nothing's going in.

GCSE's aren't the end all be all!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do absolutely fine and maybe have a word with your teachers about how you're feeling.
I have tried to get help for my mental health - told the doctors all my experiences with school and bullying ect and they just didn't seem interested and I even told them that I had exams coming in a few months - still didn't seem bothered to help me, so I felt like my problems were pathetic and felt kind of embarrassed and gave up. School knows as I would always stay off and refuse to go in and they knew about my bullying, as well as my old school - both did absolutely nothing. No counselling - nothing! Really hurts as I feel like I have 0 support from school or the doctors. :frown:
Original post by ririroo
Focus on your most important subjects. English language isn't until after half term so you can spend time revising for that during half term (I'd recommend watching some Mr Bruff videos) and go through some maths stuff. If that's all you can get done then that's fine, just try your best to pass those and even if you don't you can always retake next year. Or if there's any subjects that really interest you, focus on them. I think you need to take a break from revision for a bit to clear your head because, even though it's stressful not revising when you feel you should be, it seems to me that you're really stressed and it's not going to be any good to you if you're trying to revise and nothing's going in.

GCSE's aren't the end all be all!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do absolutely fine and maybe have a word with your teachers about how you're feeling.
I'd really recommend using the childline 1-2-1 online counsellor chat, it's a really good place to get some advice from a proper counsellor. I know it's probably not as good as the real thing, but they will be able to help you.
Here's a link: https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/
I have tried to get help for my mental health - told the doctors all my experiences with school and bullying ect and they just didn't seem interested and I even told them that I had exams coming in a few months - still didn't seem bothered to help me, so I felt like my problems were pathetic and felt kind of embarrassed and gave up. School knows as I would always stay off and refuse to go in and they knew about my bullying, as well as my old school - both did absolutely nothing. No counselling - nothing! Really hurts as I feel like I have 0 support from school or the doctors. :frown:
I find it hard to open up to someone in person, thats why I like talking online.
Original post by ririroo
I'd really recommend using the childline 1-2-1 online counsellor chat, it's a really good place to get some advice from a proper counsellor. I know it's probably not as good as the real thing, but they will be able to help you.
Here's a link: https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/
that's exactly what it is... you type to each other
I find it hard to open up to someone in person, thats why I like talking online.

Do u have Instagram or snapchat maybe we can talk & share the pain X

Quick Reply

Latest